Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is the McVities Gold bar a minor confection?

Started by Bernice, March 28, 2021, 05:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: purlieu on March 30, 2021, 07:51:24 PM
who's for a bit of Nestle Secret nostalgia?

You ever try to take one a train? They were nice but they turned into aerosol dog turds at anything resembling room temperature.

Video Game Fan 2000

Just remembered a lad getting one on a school trip and eating it by licking it down the middle first then biting off the ends.

You could also blow out the biege log in the middle by biting off both ends and blowing down them.

Chocolate bars should limit the opportunities for vileness they give to consumers.

The Culture Bunker

I was mildly irritated last night when I went out to the local Tesco Metro and they didn't have any Golds in stock. Might have to wander to the Coop later to see if I get more luck there.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 31, 2021, 11:19:51 AM
I was mildly irritated last night when I went out to the local Tesco Metro and they didn't have any Golds in stock. Might have to wander to the Coop later to see if I get more luck there.

That's why they call them Gold. You have to hunt for it, make the effort.

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 31, 2021, 11:19:51 AM
They tend to be stocked by the more 'value' retailers (the aforementinoed H&B, B&M, Iceland, Farmfoods etc.). Tesco Metro is far too middle class for Gold.

seepage

My local Coop sells Golds.

Tip for redeeming your Coop loyalty card balance if you weren't aware (although sort of irrelevant now they've reduced the reward from 5p per £1 spent to only 2p per £1): when you use your rewards balance to pay for your shopping you don't get rewarded for what you've just bought. As the reward applies only to Coop own-brand goods you have to make sure you use the balance to pay for non own-brand stuff e.g. loads of Gold Bars.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on March 31, 2021, 11:52:57 AM
They tend to be stocked by the more 'value' retailers (the aforementinoed H&B, B&M, Iceland, Farmfoods etc.). Tesco Metro is far too middle class for Gold.
A quick check shows I should have said "Tesco Express", though as I live in Didsbury, darling, (as Tony Wilson might have said) it's still pretty middle class.

Cold Meat Platter

Bad news and good news.

Bad news: I'm an easily-influenced stoned cretin.
Good news: I have 18 Gold bars now.

Captain Z

Ha, all the smart kids are investing in Rolocoin now.

#ROLO

paruses

Quote from: seepage on March 31, 2021, 11:57:38 AM
My local Coop sells Golds.

Tip for redeeming your Coop loyalty card balance if you weren't aware (although sort of irrelevant now they've reduced the reward from 5p per £1 spent to only 2p per £1): when you use your rewards balance to pay for your shopping you don't get rewarded for what you've just bought. As the reward applies only to Coop own-brand goods you have to make sure you use the balance to pay for non own-brand stuff e.g. loads of Gold Bars.

Co-op!
Was racking my brain(s?) to think where I regularly see them outside of the 'value' retailers Buzby mentioned.

Also excellent top tip about the points. Will bear in mind. I told them to restock the oven chips that were listed as half price on the app the other day when they tried to charge me full price. I felt like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman when she tells that sales assistant to fuck off.

Replies From View

Quote from: steve98 on March 30, 2021, 08:37:04 AM
Someone earlier was trying to make a point, that if the pigs busted Mick and Keith and Marianne Faithful today the story would go nowhere because it wouldn't be a Mars Bar Faithful was abusing herself with but a digestive or a Caramel Log (or something equally dull). Good point, I thought.

Would we be in a timeline where Mars Bars had never been invented?  I don't understand.

steve98

Me neither. I'm sorry, I don't know what I was trying to say.

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on March 30, 2021, 07:51:24 PM
As we're moving on to general chocolate bars[nb]and nobody has even acknowledged my supermarket brand chocolate caramel biscuit bar comment :'([/nb], who's for a bit of Nestle Secret nostalgia? One of the finest bars ever.

Yep, definitely the favourite at the time.  Strangely luxurious intricacy with its shredded wheat chocolate lattice.

Sebastian Cobb

I was going to say 'who remembers nestle's vice versas, they were reem', but it looks like they got relaunched twice since I last had 'em.

Replies From View

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on March 30, 2021, 07:57:02 PM
You ever try to take one a train? They were nice but they turned into aerosol dog turds at anything resembling room temperature.

Were they only available outside of summery seasons then?  I don't remember ever confronting a melting one, or trains being especially "room temperatured" compared to other places.  Maybe you are remembering Feast lollies instead.

The other probability is that I was buying Nestle Secrets to eat rather than to carry around at arm's length until I needed to catch a train.  Why were you doing things differently to me?!

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Replies From View on March 31, 2021, 08:10:04 PM
Were they only available outside of summery seasons then?  I don't remember ever confronting a melting one, or trains being especially "room temperatured" compared to other places.  Maybe you are remembering Feast lollies instead.

The other probability is that I was buying Nestle Secrets to eat rather than to carry around at arm's length until I needed to catch a train.  Why were you doing things differently to me?!

Look I was disgusting kid at the time I could have been jogging around with them in my armpits for how good my memory is. Its just a traumatic mulch of classmates doing weird shit with tube shaped food.

I was gonna find a picture of one online so I could show you the little cardboard spine they used to put in the packets because they were so fragile and easily melted, but apparently thats wrong too, never happened. I'm sorry for mandela effecting the thread. I admit Nestles Secrets were yorky bar levels of sturdy, you could stand on one to change a lightbulb

mothman

https://youtu.be/1hcMOIjA6F4

Did I ever eat a Bandit bar? Did anyone? Is a hazy recollection of, and a blurry YouTube video of, the adverts all that remains? I'm not even sure what was in it, beyond chocolate obviously.

Plus, I'm only now realising the song is not "You can't stand it with Bandit" but "You can stand it."

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

Someone here will say they are food of the gods in a minute I'm sure.

Chedney Honks

Anyone remember 'Speech' bars? Kind of a sticky meringue, little balls of biscuit rather than a covered biscuit. Coated in chocolate, milk layer first and then dark on the outside, raisin jam marbling. Lovely breadcrumbs on the outside.

markburgle

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on March 31, 2021, 09:11:16 PM
I was gonna find a picture of one online so I could show you the little cardboard spine they used to put in the packets because they were so fragile and easily melted

There did used to be a little cardboard tray inside the wrapper that it lay in, but I always thought that was just cos it was meant to be poshe

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 01, 2021, 01:43:25 AM
Wafer-based ie shit.

Bandits weren't anything special, but saying that wafer=shit is madness. Writing off Kitkats with a stroke of the keyboard.

Bill Oddie did some Bandit adverts, didn't he?

Dr Rock

I think the chocolate on a Kit-Kat was superior and thicker than on a Bandit. Still, Kit-Kats are pretty poor.

The Culture Bunker

I'm heading to the nearest Co-op after I finish work in a final, desperate throw of the dice to finally get my hands on the mystical Gold bar. Wish me luck...

Glebe

"I regard them as a very minor confectionary, to be
honest. And quite obscene in their way."

Bernice

Kankurette

Applause bars, anyone? They were fit. Fruit, biscuit and caramel.

My mum craved KitKat when I was a foetus. It might explain why I love the damn things. Especially Chunky.

Quote from: Kankurette on April 01, 2021, 02:22:00 PM
My mum craved KitKat when I was a foetus. It might explain why I love the damn things. Especially Chunky.

Be fair, she was eating for two.

steve98

Quote from: Kankurette on April 01, 2021, 02:22:00 PM

My mum craved KitKat when I was a foetus. Especially Chunky.

Liked it chunky did she? Say no more.