Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:38:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad Trip [Eric Andre movie on Netflix]

Started by Mobius, March 29, 2021, 03:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

This just popped up on Netflix, dunno if it's new or what but it's a road trip/buddy movie from Eric Andre that combines a scripted movie with his usual prank/hidden camera stuff.

I've got to say, I found this pretty bad. Relatively laugh free, and the mixture of a proper movie with a plot and storyline, and seemingly real pranks just felt off to me. There's only 4 actual characters in the entire movie (Eric Andre + his mate + his mate's sister + the woman Eric Andre is chasing after) and the rest are just people reacting to stunts. Some of the stunts didn't feel very real to me, and some of the reactions felt fake but perhaps that's just me misunderstanding how they work.

My partner who is a much bigger Eric Andre fan than me didn't enjoy it too much either. I think it might be time for him to give the pranks a rest.

Any one seen it? What did you think?

up_the_hampipe

Laugh-free?! I saw this last year. I remember there were plenty of really funny sequences, even if it didn't always land.

madhair60

Love it when he gets raped twice then covered in cum. Stitch

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: madhair60 on March 29, 2021, 12:51:04 PM
Love it when he gets raped twice then covered in cum. Stitch

Yes, that was indeed one of the funny sequences.

Mobius

How have you lot seen this a year ago I thought it was new

Close Thread.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Mobius on March 29, 2021, 09:40:00 PM
How have you lot seen this a year ago I thought it was new

Close Thread.

It went on Prime early by accident, got taken down soon after. I don't think many saw it though, as it's getting a huge buzz now. 

Watched the trailer and a lot of the reactions to the stunts look really fake. Could be down to editing for the trailer and I did laugh a few times, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

sevendaughters

this film is really shit. thin premise and executed half-arsedly. the semi-real stunt road trip has been beaten into the ground. did no one learn anything from the shitty Between Two Ferns film. or Borat 1 and 2 and Bruno and Bad Grandpa and Great World of Sound

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 31, 2021, 10:09:49 AM
this film is really shit. thin premise and executed half-arsedly. the semi-real stunt road trip has been beaten into the ground. did no one learn anything from the shitty Between Two Ferns film. or Borat 1 and 2 and Bruno and Bad Grandpa and Great World of Sound

That's practically all of the films in that genre (although the Between Two Ferns film doesn't even count). If you don't like the concept, why do you continue to watch them?

shiftwork2

The original Borat was terrific, obviously.

Jerzy Bondov

I just like seeing Eric Andre yelling and smashing into stuff and being weird so I like this.

sevendaughters

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 31, 2021, 10:16:36 AM
That's practically all of the films in that genre (although the Between Two Ferns film doesn't even count). If you don't like the concept, why do you continue to watch them?

hope, dear boy; hope.

Jerzy Bondov

The best parts of this is where they're going through the beats of a pretty straightforward romantic comedy but really loudly in public. That's just a really funny idea to me. I also liked it when they
Spoiler alert
got their dicks stuck in a chinese finger trap and their dicks get stretched really long
[close]

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 31, 2021, 04:04:17 PM
The best parts of this is where they're going through the beats of a pretty straightforward romantic comedy but really loudly in public.

Yeah, the mall scene is probably my favourite part of the movie. Forcing a musical number on the public is a simple idea but well executed. The old man on the bench was great! "He's in love!"

Jerzy Bondov

Yes, I love the people who are happy to play along as their life turns into a film, like the security guard who even says the clichéd line "I can't believe I'm doing this..."

McFlymo

I went on a bit of a binge of the Eric Andre Show recently. Seasons 3 and 4. I am not proud. Some not so "woke" moments that I definitely should not have been laughing at. So I definitely didn't laugh at those bits. Honest.

I tend to hate everything about prank shows and "lol random" comedy, but I can't deny wanting that stupid, brainless, destructive, reductive humour sometimes. I just don't want it brought to me by the plethora of young people on Youtube who probably own three mansions and four Ferraris since setting up their online empires. I want it brought to me by Eric Andre and only Eric Andre. Everyone else, the position is taken. Soz.

The Mollusk

Hard for anything to ever top the early years of Jackass for me tbh

McFlymo

Jackass was a lot more raw and to the point. There's a ridiculous level of setup / budget / detail that goes into a lot of the stunts / pranks in the Eric Andre show and in Bad Trip.

Which you prefer is probably similar to whether you like bands when they're being more raw and honest, compared with their more over produced / studio heavy output.

Normally I prefer the "more raw" thing, but I actually quite enjoy the ridiculous levels of complexity involved in a lot of the Eric Andre stuff. Saying that, it's not a patch on the work of Nathan Fielder, but that show achieves something very different.

Bad Trip was great! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am assuming that shows like TOWIE (and their American equivalents) have played with the concept of (more blatantly) scripted reality TV, where there are actors and plots, but within settings where everyday life carries on around them, so I'm sure it's not original, but I loved how Bad Trip played with this!
Spoiler alert
Eric falling off the bar into, what looked like a fairly obvious space for a big matt to be seemed a bit hammy. Also, I couldn't quite believe the people at the zoo were hoodwinked by that gorilla costume, even though their reactions looked quite convincing in the outtakes that played over the credits.
[close]

Armin Meiwes

Really disliked this a lot - just felt so unbelievably unimaginative, every joke set up was pretty much the same. I liked Borat and Jackass so I'm up for well done prank/reaction stuff but I just don't know what the point of this was because just seeing random members of the public going "oh my god!" to someone falling off something or being fake sick was just.. boring.

wooders1978

Hated it for the most part, switched off when there was obviously a "diarreah" scene coming up, it's 2021 ffs

For me, I think Eric Andre is a very personable guy and the bits I like most, much the like E.A.S, is when he's doing him and not going for gross out cringe stuff

up_the_hampipe

Some deleted scenes for ya, including an exorcism prank with a great priest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82eqckEcfLU

zomgmouse

Watched this last night. It's really really funny. Laughed heaps. The fact that every single narrative scene/set piece was prank footage (including a
Spoiler alert
dream
[close]
sequence!!) was pretty genius I thought. As someone mentioned above, almost imposing acting out the story in public. Only thing I can think of that does that to that degree is maybe Nirvanna the Band the Show. Even the Sacha Baron Cohen films feel a bit incidental (except maybe Bruno?) in comparison. Maybe it helped that I watched it with a group of friends but we were all guffawing. I will say it structurally didn't quite nail the ending, but still, hugely entertaining throughout.