Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:28:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New My Bloody Valentine?

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 29, 2021, 07:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

MY bloody valentine????

it's more likely than you think

lankyguy95

Bands don't generally use an old song on a teaser for new music.

Uploading to streaming services?

wosl

The fact that the teaser visuals are based on the Loveless and m b v cover art makes you think it might well be a new platforming of old product.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: lankyguy95 on March 29, 2021, 07:45:34 PM
Bands don't generally use an old song on a teaser for new music.

Uploading to streaming services?

Would that warrant a surprise announcement/ hype on social media? I don't know how big a deal this would be as I've never used Spotify.

holyzombiejesus

https://www.reddit.com/r/MyBloodyValentine/comments/mfqsmf/if_you_still_want_to_get_surprised_i_guess_do_not/

QuoteIf you still want to get surprised, I guess do not read this
Can't tell how I got this info but now that there is two posts from u/RUDeleted and u/CrackHead5555 showing signs of something, I'm going to spit it out. I made a cryptic post two days ago at r/shoegaze. I've been given this info over a month ago, but they told me march 29 they were "going to announce", and that "new song in august/september" and also "march they're re-releasing all of their albums and EP's. maybe remastered and in physical format".

As we all know, we have read Mr. KS promising stuff before and leaving us hanging, but I guess this time is serious? I haven't read any news as of yet, but let's see throughout the week what's going to happen. I'm kind of skeptical myself, and I had been counting the days to see if the info was going to confirm itself, and although nothing really hit the airwaves yet, I find it suspicious that exactly on the date I was given, these two posts by mentioned users were made. I asked this person who gave me this info yesterday, "TOMORROW. MBV. RIGHT?" and they told me "I don't know if it really is going to be tomorrow or this week, but Shields is already giving some interviews with magazines from here". I don't think this person is bullshitting me because we have a good relationship and I wasn't even the one who went asking for it, this person saw me complaining about that time Kevin confirmed to a website that definitely we were going to get like two EP's on the year but nothing really happened, and this person came up to me and told me this info. I hope I don't ruin anything, but this is a small sub, and most people are probably going to think I'm straigth up trolling, but let's keep it lowkey nonetheless.

Edit: Been updated. WEDNESDAY! I'm so freaking paranoid over this, I really don't want to get this person fired or ruin their thing. See why there's no conspiracy regarding the moon landing and shit? People can't keep their mouths shut, and I'm not talking about this person, but me, lol. To the dude who said something about a label called Domino, you nailed it. I should have made a throwaway account but I'm dumb af. Let's keep this for ourselves, ok?

gilbertharding

One of the very first websites I ever went on - back in 1998 or something was an MBV fansite called www.expectdelay.com

You know, when everyone was waiting for a third album...

lankyguy95

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 29, 2021, 08:07:32 PM
Would that warrant a surprise announcement/ hype on social media? I don't know how big a deal this would be as I've never used Spotify.
Yeah it's been done before. It would be the sort of thing that would coincide with album reissues, so that Reddit post is probably accurate.

holyzombiejesus

Looks like there are reissues coming through Domino.

Spiteface

If there's new stuff forthcoming, I'll believe it when I'm actually listening to it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" new song in August/ September" .

Oh, thanks very much, you lazy git.

Two fucking albums in 30 years. I ask you.

PaulTMA

To be fair it has been a while since the albums were last remastered

danwho9

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 29, 2021, 08:26:45 PM
Looks like there are reissues coming through Domino.
Any new pressings would certainly be welcome to be fair.

danwho9

Well produced pressings that is.

DrGreggles

Loveless 30th anniversary release?

holyzombiejesus

Physical reissues and streaming. I liked the write-up of Isn't Anything on the Norman Records site...

QuoteAs every MBV fan agrees, this is by far their best album - literally no-one on the planet of sane mind believes 'Loveless' is better.

sweeper

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 31, 2021, 09:13:31 AM
As every MBV fan agrees, this is by far their best album - literally no-one on the planet of sane mind believes 'Loveless' is better.

It's so weird to me that this has become consensus. Isn't Anything starts strong, but drops off after a few tunes. It's a decent indiepop album with a noisy edge. It's fine, but literally isn't anything. I've rarely listened to the whole thing in one go.

Spiteface

I do like how totally revisionist MBV are towards their pre-Creation output.

sardines

Quote from: danwho9 on March 29, 2021, 10:34:00 PM
Any new pressings would certainly be welcome to be fair.

It is only a couple of years since mbv did a reissue campaign around analogue pressings and Kevin Shields 'true' vision.
I can't see anything in the domino announcement that differs from those releases.

sevendaughters

generally think Isn't and Loveless are about the same! not even doing a thing here.

got IA on and always forget how many of these songs are about dicks and fannies and fucking.

holyzombiejesus

Genuinely, my favourite one of theirs is Ecstasy, or maybe the Ecstasy and Wine compilation. Might not argue it's their 'best' but I definitely enjoy it more than the subsequent 3. I got it back when my mum used to give me money to buy my Christmas presents and I'd then give them back to her to wrap and hand over on the day. I went up to Manchester and bought Ecstasy and a fancy 4AD compilation called Lonely Is An Eyesore. The MBV album had a really nice textured sleeve and the photo of the band seemed to glow, the 4AD one came in a flappy box thing. Can remember staring at the sleeves on the way home and was so excited to hear them on Christmas Day.

Quote from: Spiteface on March 31, 2021, 09:55:15 AM
I do like how totally revisionist MBV are towards their pre-Creation output.

Read a recent-ish interview with KS where he said he was considering remastering the Lazy-era stuff, so he at least acknowledges its existence. It's not like Primal Scream were with SFG or anything.

Ecstasy > Loveless > Isn't Anything > mbv

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: sardines on March 31, 2021, 09:55:34 AM
It is only a couple of years since mbv did a reissue campaign around analogue pressings and Kevin Shields 'true' vision.
I can't see anything in the domino announcement that differs from those releases.

They sold out almost immediately and sell for £100+ each.

Spiteface

Quote from: sevendaughters on March 31, 2021, 09:56:58 AM
generally think Isn't and Loveless are about the same! not even doing a thing here.

Love them both, for different reasons.

Loveless was the album that I started with, after hearing Soon on M2 (MTV having a pretty damn cool spinoff channel briefly) once. Never heard anything like it before, and so I went and got it.

Isn't Anything was bought soon after. I think the fact it has live drums where most drums on Loveless are sequenced, gives it a totally different feel. More of a gutpunch in parts than Loveless

Also, Colm O'Ciosoig is underrated as a drummer. Needs to be said.

sevendaughters

yeah I suppose Loveless is a great triumph of vision for its auteur (though I do think Bilinda gets written out of the story a bit, it's not just the Kevin Shields Guitar Sound Express) whilst IA is more of a great weird rock record. You Never Should was just on a minute ago and the guitars on that sound immaculate.

jobotic

Loveless blew me away at the time, and I saw them a couple of times then and it was wonderful. But I already had IA and the two EPs and I never stopped playing them. If I had to put on an MBV record right now it'd be Isn't Anything (or maybe Ecstasy, as holyzombiejesus says).

Spiteface

Don't know if anyone's noticed, but the official MBV Youtube is uploading the videos over the course of today. HD, too, whatever that means for stuff shot in 1991:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtmftE9d_FKl3ZUzPaB1etw

purlieu

I always preferred Isn't Anything. Feels more dynamic and varied to me, which are always plus points.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Edit