Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:23:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Phones

Started by canadagoose, March 29, 2021, 10:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

At the moment, there's nothing wrong with my OnePlus 6T. I'll keep using it until it goes wrong, probably. But just in case I drop it in the river, down the toilet or it somehow otherwise breaks (it's now out of warranty), what sort of phone would you get if you were me?

It would be nice if it had 5G (mostly for novelty value), a decent selection of LTE bands, at least a 1080p screen, NFC (important for my glucose meter) and if it was able to be bought outright. A 2-year warranty would also be handy. Thanks.

Dex Sawash

I bought the Samsung S20FE which is sort of a budget flagship. Doesnt have a ridiculous vulnerable curved screen, so can put in proper case. 120hz display, qi power share will charge other devices from back of phone so dont have to take watch charger when I travel.

Gurke and Hare

I buy the latest version of the Moto G whenever I need a new phone, and I've never been disappointed.

The latest version has 5G and 1080, doesn't say here that it has NFC but I'd be amazed if it didn't as the last couple that I've bought have had it (it's the thing that lets you used Google Pay, right?) £230 sim free.

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/motorola/moto-g-5g-plus.html#!colour=blue&capacity=64GB&dealType=sf&tabID=specificationData

MojoJojo

The Moto G are good, but they've fallen a bit behind on the price/features curve compared to some of the Chinese names. A Xiaomi Red Note Pro 9 costs about the same as that Moto G, but has 6gig of RAM on a really good camera with the distance sensor that lets you do cool blurry background portrait photos.

You do have to put up with some Chinese foibles like over aggressive power optimisation breaking some things unless you dig through the settings to turn them off for each app.

Sebastian Cobb

I have a Moto G and have been eking life out of it.

A while back before I replaced the screen and had a similar set of requirements to CG and couldn't find a moto model that quite did all the bits I wanted.

When I was looking the Gigaset Mbro, which I'd never heard of, looked good on paper. As did some Oppo models.

touchingcloth

I bought the new iPhone SE recently, having struggled on with the original SE for too long.

It does everything I need - has a physical button rather than unlocking with my face, it's not massive, and has a ridiculously fast processor and great camera. I don't use it for anything particularly heavy, I just want a phone that's going to last a few years without getting sluggish. This was a relative steal at €380 SIM-free.

canadagoose

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll bear them in mind for when I need them!

peanutbutter

I'm still on an original iPhone SE, will be upgrading to a iPhone 12 mini or 13 mini at the end of the year I'm sure. If a few Android manufacturers start making half decent phones that aren't gigantic I might consider one.