Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:09:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Monday afternoon, nearly get mauled by massive dog

Started by Twit 2, March 29, 2021, 11:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 02, 2021, 12:33:57 PM
That's a fucking brilliant idea. My kindle still has the default pictures of quills and shit, didn't even know you could change it.

Mine originally had a quote from Ezra Pound about a book being like "a ball of pure light". Very apt but I didn't want a Nazi sympathiser on my Kindle. I was glad of the firmware upgrade that got rid of it.

Quite happy with the quills and shit now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-56617182

It's absolutely fucked the level of reckless endangerment we're exposed to by the cunts of the country.

Ferris

Quote from: Buelligan on April 02, 2021, 07:04:59 PM
Get a porcupine.

Love these.

I had 2 or 3 Far Side gallery books[nb]and I remember them being very subversive? Like, they weren't Dickens or books about Romans or whatever[/nb] when I was very small and they were very formative of my sense of humour. Still think they're great, will leave them lying around the house when Ferris Jr gets old enough to understand the jokes.

JamesTC

Isn't the thing about cats being black putting people off applicable to many animals? I read it was something about people thinking black animals look more aggressive.

I know that it applies to greyhounds. They apparently spend the longest in kennels despite clearly being the cutest. One day I will be responsible enough to adopt a black greyhound and my life will be complete.

Buelligan

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 02, 2021, 10:29:15 PM
Love these.

I had 2 or 3 Far Side gallery books[nb]and I remember them being very subversive? Like, they weren't Dickens or books about Romans or whatever[/nb] when I was very small and they were very formative of my sense of humour. Still think they're great, will leave them lying around the house when Ferris Jr gets old enough to understand the jokes.

Yes, I love his stuff.  Think it's the mixing of mundane and bizarre with a hint of darkness.

poo

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 02, 2021, 09:50:02 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-56617182

It's absolutely fucked the level of reckless endangerment we're exposed to by the cunts of the country.
And when they do "establish the dogs' breeds" it'll be all about how that breed are vicious killers and not about how their fucking owner either tormented them till they were savage or stupidly didn't bother leashing them.

paruses

Quote from: JamesTC on April 02, 2021, 10:35:46 PM
Isn't the thing about cats being black putting people off applicable to many animals? I read it was something about people thinking black animals look more aggressive.

I know that it applies to greyhounds. They apparently spend the longest in kennels despite clearly being the cutest. One day I will be responsible enough to adopt a black greyhound and my life will be complete.

Yes - never understood it with the greyhounds. It's either that they're aggressive or boring looking (tying into Icehaven's cat post). My first greyhound was a big black one - who with hindsight was hard to home because of his size, colour, inability to be left alone for any amount of time, and sleep aggressions it turned out (which was fine once you realised it was all just sudden snarling). The only reason I have two brindles is that the old lady brindle was at the kennels when I went up to get a bag of food and it turned out she cured his separation anxiety immediately. The other brindle is  because when the big black one died very suddenly I couldn't face a like for like replacement. Next one will be a black greyhound almost certainly. The lurcher is black and is literally 50/50 greyhound saluki so I suppose that's a concession.

I think the other thing is that apart from Dog Zero I've never shopped for a dog to see if they look right and fit in. Even Dog Zero only really came home because he made the effort to get up and was fine having a walk around the paddock with me. The others in between have mostly been because I saw an advert and the needed a home and I had space.

tl;dr Yea JamesTC get a black greyhound. You won't regret it. And most of the decisions I make are haphazard and not well thought out.

JamesTC

Quote from: paruses on April 03, 2021, 07:53:25 AM
I think the other thing is that apart from Dog Zero I've never shopped for a dog to see if they look right and fit in. Even Dog Zero only really came home because he made the effort to get up and was fine having a walk around the paddock with me. The others in between have mostly been because I saw an advert and the needed a home and I had space.

tl;dr Yea JamesTC get a black greyhound. You won't regret it. And most of the decisions I make are haphazard and not well thought out.

I wish I could just not think things through and go out and adopt one. We would probably be fine for the next 12 months when I am working from home but if I end up back in an office after that then it would be rather difficult and not very fair on the dog.

I know the only real downside of a greyhound is just how bad separation anxiety is for them. That is why I would try not to adopt one until my situation is a little more sure and I am in a relationship so there is always somebody who could help keep it company (or at least reduce the time on its own).

Dr Rock

I thought that if a dog bites a human (in the UK anyway) if you report it, it usually get put down, but that's not the case. I'd be for that law. One strike and you're out Fido.

Icehaven

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 03, 2021, 11:33:35 AM
I thought that if a dog bites a human (in the UK anyway) if you report it, it usually get put down, but that's not the case.

I'd have thought if they killed someone though then surely they'd be put down. What would you do with them otherwise? I don't know much about dogs but surely you couldn't ever trust them to be around people again.

imitationleather

Attila

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 02, 2021, 06:49:10 PM
^its absolutely true - black cats don't "photograph" as well apparently, so are less desirable and/or more likely to be given up for adoption by their vapid dickhead owners.

I would very happily get a couple of cats (not least because we have mice) but Mrs Ferris is super allergic so no dice. It's taken this long to convince her to get a dog tbh.

Because, why not.

Tiny Toast:

My poor doomed cat, Vincent, whom I still miss terribly

I liked the latter one so much, I thought about using it on a swimsuit

I miss having a dog. I have to enjoy all the Good Brown Dogs vicarious when I go for morning walks.

paruses

Quote from: JamesTC on April 03, 2021, 11:13:42 AM
I wish I could just not think things through and go out and adopt one. We would probably be fine for the next 12 months when I am working from home but if I end up back in an office after that then it would be rather difficult and not very fair on the dog.

I know the only real downside of a greyhound is just how bad separation anxiety is for them. That is why I would try not to adopt one until my situation is a little more sure and I am in a relationship so there is always somebody who could help keep it company (or at least reduce the time on its own).

Yes - it's right to think things through properly. People not doing that is why the rescue centres are filling up. I would hope that the existing rescue / rehoming places did all their due dilligence when people were deciding they absolutely had to have a dog for lockdown and that those now being kicked out are from awful puppy farms (not that I have anything against the dogs themselves). I did mean for my part that the dogs I end up with are not because they look good on my insta[nb]I have no idea if I have used Insta properly [/nb] it's because I've been somewhere at the right/wrong time. It took ages before I took the plunge with the first one.

One very obvious solution to the separation issue is (as I said above) - just get two!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

My own very good boy will be thirteen tomorrow. In June we'll have been together twelve years. I don't regret a single moment but getting a dog is not something to be done lightly. Research the breeds, ask the people who actually take care of the rescue dogs what they're like, and get the dog(s) you want.