Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:47:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

Started by Mobius, March 30, 2021, 04:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

I never got to play this one, so I'm pretty excited it's coming out for the PS4 (and PS5, and PC) tomorrow!

Bunch of new content apparently for those that have already played it when first released.

WHAT IS IN DISCO ELYSIUM: THE FINAL CUT?
Disco Elysium: The Final Cut includes the base game, as expected, as well as the following features
New Political Vision Quests
New Characters
New Clothes
New Cutscenes
Full English Voice Over
Full Controller Support
+ more!

Sounds like a pretty unique RPG so I'm definitely keen to give it a go.

Mister Six

Ooh nice, I'm going to pick this up on PS4 at some point, but with all the free games on the PlayStation Store at the mo, it won't be for a while. Deffo going to check it out though, because it's right up my street.

Timothy

I expect this game to be released into Gamepass when the Xbox version releases so am waiting for that. Really looking forward to play The Final Cut.

Zetetic

Original thread here:
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=75742.0

Looking forward to seeing how the full voice acting turned out.

MoreauVasz

Why did point and click adventures go away?

Timothy

No!

I just found out that I own this game on EpicGames. I also read that the Final Cut will be a free upgrade for PC. Will it patch automatically into the new version or do I have to download it separately? Looks as if I'm going to play the Final Cut this week after all!

Zetetic

Quote from: MoreauVasz on March 30, 2021, 08:40:40 AM
Why did point and click adventures go away?
I'm not sure that they did, rather that computer games as a whole got a lot bigger, broader and more diverse. There's been more than a few discussions of things like the Wadjet Eye games on here, which are niche (although not that niche in the context of point-and-click adventure games) but have been commercially viable for a decade-and-a-half.

A relevant observation regarding Disco Elysium is that it doesn't really move forward point-and-click adventure or RPG design in an earth-shattering way, even if it has some neat stuff. It being a good game depends massively on enjoyable relevant writing, and that's not something reproducible in the same way that novel action mechanics or a particular approach to graphics rendering or even an art style is.

Quote from: Timothy on March 30, 2021, 09:48:23 AM
Will it patch automatically into the new version or do I have to download it separately?
It's just an update.

The Culture Bunker

It looks interesting, the sort of thing I could get into - minor quibble, but wish it allowed you to create your own character rather than play some pre-set chap. A big part of the fun/immersion of games for me is often being able to create some freakish approximation of myself, but I suppose with the full voice acting and such that is common these days, it's nearly impossible.

Strange how the Playstation Store website doesn't mention the price - is it going to be £60 or so?

Zetetic

I think it's less the full voice acting - since that's a feature that they only added for this version (and I don't actually know if it covers the player character, although
Spoiler alert
he does have some lines in the original
[close]
) - than the story they wanted to tell. I note that although it uses the usual
Spoiler alert
amnesia
[close]
conceit, it is tied up with what a wreck of a person the player character is. You get a fair amount of choice with what sort of person he proves to be.

I'd guess it'll be around £30 or so. (At least that's what the PC version is for sale for on GOG, for example).

The Culture Bunker

Yes, I did see the amnesia angle and thought that would make it perfect for a "blank" character that could look anyway we wanted, but I'm quibbling.

The Mass Effect remaster is £60, I believe, so we'll see. I'll probably wait a while in any case, as I paid £30 for the FF7 remaster, then two months later it was free of PS+, and I've always got a pile of freebies (the Play at Home stuff, plus Control and whichever Tomb Raider was on PS+ a couple of months ago) to get through first. Oh yeah, and I bought some farming game for a laugh as it was a tenner... not sure what I was thinking there.

brat-sampson

Unfortunately in this case it really wouldn't work with a create-a-character. The 'amnesia' comes as a result of a hangover so violent it's caused him to forget his name, his job and his purpose entirely, but these are definitely important existent things out there to discover. Even the character's face is a plot point, and near-impossible to look at at first.

The Culture Bunker

I'm sure, and like I said, I was nit-picking based on my own preferences, as is my annoying tendency. I did see it's going for just under £30 on PS Store and I am tempted by the setting and what I'm reading of the plot, but think I'll hold back to gauge the response - a few times I've tried games on Playstation that have come over from PC and found they've not quite worked.

Zetetic

I'm interested to see how good the controller support is now, myself - will see if it's any good.

GOG Galaxy just started updating my copy (when I asked it to check for updates).

Zetetic

Controller support is not perfect and it feels like it combines poorly with an occaisonal existing issue (IIRC) about positioning-vs-interaction. At the moment it's a little bit of friction, but not nearly enough to argue against playing it.

I think if you're worried about feeling short-changed and that might affect your engagement with it, I'd leave it a little bit. (I wouldn't read any of the plot though.) I say that as someone who think it's a really good bit of interactive fiction, worth playing sooner rather than later.

The Culture Bunker

Just sometimes a game that I would think works very naturally with a mouse/keyboard seems a lot more clunky with a gamepad - I think it's part of the reason I really struggled with Stellaris on PS4, for example.

I'll check out some reviews when they're available - I still wouldn't put it past me to buy it on Friday if I find myself at a loose end.

Fry

Actual GOAT level game right here. Sharing a jacuzzi with MGS 3, Gitaroo Man and Dark Souls.

Mobius

Well it appears my PS4 controller is fucked, so I'll be buying this on my computer. It's probably better on PC anyway.

Timothy

Is there any way to use Steamlink for EpicGames? Really want to play this on tv with a controller instead of on my laptop.

Zetetic

You should just be able to add it as a non-Steam game and still probably have Steam link work.

MoreauVasz

First time I played, I didn't really understand the role-playing aspect of the game. It's not really that well explained, which is both a frustration and quite a nicely realistic touch.

Going full fash for my next playthru

Timothy

Quote from: Zetetic on March 31, 2021, 08:14:04 AM
You should just be able to add it as a non-Steam game and still probably have Steam link work.

Thanks so much!!!! This worked!

Timothy

Turns out it was even easier. I could just go to EpicGames while connected to Steamlink and start the game!

One last question: Is there any indication that the game I'm playing is the updated version? It nowhere says Final Cut in the menuscreen.

brat-sampson

Main screen looks the same... Should be a lot more voiced lines. Also my version includes Copyright 2021 on startup, not sure if it did that before the update.

Zetetic

Assuming you're using a controller - if that's working and showing button prompts etc., then it's the Final Cut update.

(I think the HDR checkbox in options is also new...)

The Culture Bunker

Out of interest, are any of you playing the PS4 version? Asking only as if I buy it, that's what I'll be going with so interested in views of how it works on console.

Timothy

Controller works and it also says 2019 - 2021 so I guess it's the new version.

I'm also interested if the PS4 or Switch versions are worth buying. Steamlink is still a bit of a hassle.

brat-sampson

Switch version isn't coming until the Summer, but can't speak to PS4 controls/impressions. Can't imagine there's any issues running it, but I'd say the style is definitely more designed around mouse controls. I'm sure it's fine though.

Zetetic

Quote from: Zetetic on March 30, 2021, 07:57:19 PM
Controller support is not perfect and it feels like it combines poorly with an occasional existing issue (IIRC) about positioning-vs-interaction. At the moment it's a little bit of friction, but not nearly enough to argue against playing it.
Looks like they've just release a patch trying to tackle these things.

Mobius

Barely an hour in, but really enjoying this. Reminds me of old RPGs like Planescape Torment but way more detailed and way crazier.

So much dialogue and ways to approach everything, and the skills are weird and confusing but different to anything I've seen before. I love how choosing 1 silly dialogue option the lets you choose like 3-4 more, none of this 'whatever one you choose you'll get the same reply regardless' business.

It's one of those rare games that are actually funny too. Some of the dialogue is hilarious.

Feels like one of those you need to play through a few times to see all of the outcomes.