Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:15:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Haircuts in lockdown

Started by Dusty Substance, March 30, 2021, 02:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Assuming all goes according to plan, we're currently on the final stretch of lockdown and shops, pubs and other businesses will soon be reopening (at long, long fucking last).

How's everybody's hair doing right now? Doing it yourself? Asking your partner to do it? Getting a sneaky back-alley haircut done?

Usually, I'll get my haircut around eight to ten times a year but managed to get just two in the last twelve months. The vast majority of men I see out and about seem to have managed to keep their hair neat and tidy whereas mine is looking like 80s Gene Wilder at the moment - The longest it's been for 20 odd years. Although, TBH, what with the ever growing bald spot, I probably ought to get it all shaved off, or start wearing a hat.

I never thought the day would come where I used a hairdryer. Usually, a quick once-over with the towel is enough to dry it off.

shiftwork2

A few weeks ago I was described as looking like 'Boris's brother'.  There was an intervention shortly after that.  About an hour later in fact.  You need a contact with thinning scissors, which I didn't even know were a thing. Doesn't look that bad and the increase in comfort was terrific.  Just two and a bit weeks to go now.

Looking around either everyone has been doing similar or there's an underground network of black market hairdressers doing brisk business.

Cuellar

Getting quite long now, to the point where it's annoying and in my eyes all the time. Bought some clippers about a month or two ago but never used them.

Tempted to buzz it all off BZZT

Sebastian Cobb

Haven't had a hair cut in over a year, it's down to my shoulders for the first time in my life.

Dunno whether I'll get it 'tidied up' or properly cut. It's a bit annoying how it goes in my face/glasses and having to tie it back.

DrGreggles

seepage

The Culture Bunker

Last haircut was in October, managed to get an appointment in three weeks. Looks an absolute state at the back and sides, as I have it fairly moptop most of the time, so it's gotten out of control the last two months.

An tSaoi

Buzz it. Peace of piss. Initial shock, then you'll never look back.

Also tees you up nicely for the inevitable baldness.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: An tSaoi on March 30, 2021, 04:39:11 PM

Depends on bonce shape though. I think I'd look like a Sontaran and can't risk it.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on March 30, 2021, 06:41:38 PM
Depends on bonce shape though. I think I'd look like a Sontaran and can't risk it.
Yeah, my Mekon-esque dome is best well covered up.

An tSaoi

Would a Sontaran look any better with hair? No.

Buzz it.

mothman

Clippers in Lockdown 1 were fucking gold dust. Eventually managed to get a pair online. Unfortunately, so did my wife. So we're a two-clipper household.

I've had two DIY cuts from my wife since December. We had a cut booked with our mobile hairdresser for mid-April but have had to push it back a week. I might just make it but I'll be getting my money's worth!

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: An tSaoi on March 30, 2021, 07:57:15 PM
Would a Sontaran look any better with hair? No.

Inspired by your avatar I'll have another think.

Thomas

Been snipping my own hair on the reg since about 2010, so the pandemic has actually been quite uneventful for me on this front.

Cuntbeaks

The shameless lying on display in this thread is nothing short of pathetic.

Butchers Blind

Last cut was June last year so now its down to the shoulders. Might hold out for a whole year.

Ferris

Quote from: Cuellar on March 30, 2021, 03:22:26 PM
Getting quite long now, to the point where it's annoying and in my eyes all the time. Bought some clippers about a month or two ago but never used them.

Tempted to buzz it all off BZZT

Gone for 5mm up the sides, top has been left to grow out. Looks mad but good at certain angles?

Never leave the house without a hat (wooly if it's cold, baseball cap if it's sunny).

Midas

I cut my own hair during the first lockdown. It took a few tries but eventually I got used to looking completely unkempt and throughout the summer actually started to enjoy it.

I haven't bothered cutting it this year though because what's the point of doing anything anymore? I haven't seen my forehead in months. Fringe as far as the eye can see.

Janie Jones

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 30, 2021, 03:19:52 PM

... or there's an underground network of black market hairdressers doing brisk business.

Surely this is the case? I know a barber and a women's hair stylist and they've both never been busier, in their own home or they'll come to your's. Is anyone prepared to admit to doing this? I light-heartedly challenged my neighbour who has an immaculate coiffure and he owned up to visiting his barber every fortnight.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: An tSaoi on March 30, 2021, 04:39:11 PM

That seems to be the general consensus. One of those things that seems like a big lifestyle change, like running, doing weights or going vegan, that once done nobody ever regrets.

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on March 30, 2021, 06:41:38 PM

My concerns exactly. Some people are blessed with the right shaped head that makes it ideal to shave. Your Stathams, Willises and O'Connors.

Sebastian Cobb

Caught a look of myself in the mirror the other day and thought I looked like Gilfoyle from Silicon Valley, after he's slept in a bush.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Janie Jones on March 31, 2021, 08:52:11 AM
Surely this is the case? I know a barber and a women's hair stylist and they've both never been busier, in their own home or they'll come to your's. Is anyone prepared to admit to doing this? I light-heartedly challenged my neighbour who has an immaculate coiffure and he owned up to visiting his barber every fortnight.

I've seen a lot of suspiciously well-groomed doggos about as well.

Been cutting Mr Jam's hair with clippers, using a comb and proper hairdressing scissors to graduate the sides and top. Watched some YouTube tutorials first. Think I'm doing a good job, I'm quite proud. I feel creative doing them, like a sculptor, and I love getting them just right.

Been cutting my own hair with the proper hairdressing scissors. Probably looks crap but tbh I prefer it to paying £50 a pop for "a bit off the ends" even if my usual salon does have a cute doggo (she's a French bulldog, no visits to the groomer required).

bgmnts

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/bridgend-hairdresser-barbers-coronavirus-visors-20287428.amp

I mean we all knew that a good percentage of people were never abiding by the safety measures anyway. I love the constant use of the phrase "from a selfish perspective" because they know.

hamfist

I cut my own hair now, it's quite long on top and I :

- Put the long hair up in a pineapple with a hairband
- Grade 2 with the clippers around the back and sides
- Undo the pineapple
- ???
- Profit

Sebastian Cobb

Does that not look a bit Curly Watts?

An tSaoi

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 31, 2021, 09:13:37 AM
My concerns exactly. Some people are blessed with the right shaped head that makes it ideal to shave. Your Stathams, Willises and O'Connors.

Don't worry about the head shape. Some famous bald people don't actually have a great dome when you really look at them. Take Patrick Stewart in profile. He's got a bit of "saddle", with the highest point being quite far back. Far from perfect, but he's one of the all-time classic bald men.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 31, 2021, 04:37:39 PM
Does that not look a bit Curly Watts?

Or Moe from the Stooges.

Now that you've mentioned Curly... the Stooges prove my point entirely. Two guys with the absolute shittest haircuts, and one (Curly) with a timeless buzzcut.

If you had to have the same hair as one of the Stooges, Curly's your only choice. You could take him into the present day and no-one would bad an eyelid.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: An tSaoi on March 31, 2021, 04:42:42 PM
Don't worry about the head shape. Some famous bald people don't actually have a great dome when you really loo at them. Take Patrick Stewart in profile. He's got a bit of "saddle", with the highest point being quite far back. Far from perfect, but he's one of all-time classic bald men.

Are there well established names for different bald head types? There's someone I know who I've noticed in profile has a dome that looks like they're permanently wearing some form of helmet.

An tSaoi

The Cranston?

See what I mean? That's actually a bad-shaped head, but everyone thought Walt looked badass. The head shape thing is overblown.

Sebastian Cobb

Nah, a steep forehead/sides and almost a brim as it starts over the eyebrows.

An tSaoi

Cro-Magnon Man? If his head's weird down to his eyebrows, then I don't think being haired or bald will make a difference.