Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hollywood business idea

Started by beanheadmcginty, March 31, 2021, 02:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

We seem to be spiralling into a situation where people are arguing over "cuts", i.e. Who has the best "vision": writer, director or producer? Surely from a pure moneymaking point of view (and I'm saying this from the point of view of being unable to make money) all the superhero people should release their own individual special versions based on the same footage and let the internet decide? Then they'd make almost 3 times the money.

Blumf

I'd go further. Now that studios have access to streaming services, and thus effectively zero distribution costs, they can do a real experiment.

For a fee (I'm thinking few hundred, maybe a grand, to make sure they're serious) a person or group can get access to all the rushes for a film, from which they can cobble together their own cut, to upload to the studio's streaming service. Votes can be made, internet arguments can be had, reviewers can make copy, maybe a prize for the most popular,

A few technical details would need sorting, I'd expect the rushes would need to be watermarked for example, and a solid but fair rights contract, naturally. But, I expect this could be a money spinner in terms of engagement.

It's not for every film, but if you get a flop, it may be a good way to rescue it.

On the other hand, egos would get bruised.

Chedney Honks

I would make the ultimate one second cut of the entire MCU 'franchise' for nothing.

Kelvin

It's not really in the Studios interest, though. If more directors get their own cuts, and those cuts and generally considered better than the theatrical versions (whatever that looks like in 2021), it would increasingly spotlight the creative impact of their interference. But the studios believe that the versions they were more heavily involved with are more likely to succeed at the Box Office, so they don't want people thinking there's a better version they're holding back.

This is presumably why Warner's are still standing in the way of things like the "Ayer Cut" of Suicide Squad. Yes, it might make them money, and it might be better received than the theatrical version. But it would also further illustrate that it was their own interference that made so many of those films a laughing stock.

mothman

It would mean an end to the notion that a film's producer is in any way involved in the creative process, for one. Not necessarily a bad thing. They're often the source - or the willing collaborator with, or arbiter of - that studio interference that'd be being shown up in this new paradigm you're proposing.