Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:53:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GamesMaster Book

Started by Mobbd, March 31, 2021, 10:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

GamesMaster: The Oral History. Looks like a tonne of love has already gone into this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darrenwall/gamesmaster-the-oral-history

I tend to steer clear of these books as they are effectively expensive, beautifully bound copies of Retro Gamer. A few interesting insights, a bit of access to the source material, but mostly bulked out with screenshots, cover art and sprite sheets

But this looks very special indeed.

Mister Six

Nice use of isometrics there.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I initially misread the thread title as "GamesMaster Back" and felt an even split between cosy nostalgia and 'what is point?'

How many chapters will be devoted to Dave Perry's humiliating Mario 64 defeat?

Quote from: Mister Six on March 31, 2021, 06:01:08 PM
Nice use of isometrics there.

Spiteface

Incidentally, Dave Perry did a bit of looking back at GamesMaster on his most recent YouTube show.

No "Bikini Babes & Beat 'em Ups" song though.

pk1yen

Yussef Dent

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 31, 2021, 11:26:11 AM
I tend to steer clear of these books as they are effectively expensive, beautifully bound copies of Retro Gamer. A few interesting insights, a bit of access to the source material, but mostly bulked out with screenshots, cover art and sprite sheets

But this looks very special indeed.

I have three of the ROM books, the Sensible Software one, the Mega Drive one and the Dreamcast one. The Sensible Software one is bloody excellent and I can't really fault it. I do kind of see what you mean though as the Mega Drive and Dreamcast books look outstanding but there is some degree of padding with them, as much as I do like things like blueprints and conceptual designs that ended up on the cutting room floor. I don't care tuppence for sprite sheets though, they're just flicked straight past. Nevertheless, I don't regret owning them, the Mega Drive was my console of choice growing up, whilst the Dreamcast was a machine I first played in 2004, a housemate had one and I was really impressed and equally confused at how it failed, so I have been quite fascinated by it ever since.

That said, their Sega arcade pop-up book was something I was going to ask for last Christmas. Now that really is style over substance in a very big way, you could say the whole thing is a total swizz. The six pop-up arcade cabinets do look impressive, but the editorial about the games is a meagre 32 pages. And the book costs £35. It's not like you can butcher the book and use the pop-ups as little ornaments or something either, quite simply, you open the book up, the pop up... pops up and you close it and it's gone and the novelty has worn off.

Very much looking forward to this one though.

Spiteface

Dominik Diamond is on the latest RHLSTP, and there's a bit about this book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8eZaHXR9OE

Good interview in general, and the book does cover the Dexter Fletcher series, and how much shit he continues to get over it.

Gonna have to get this, sounds like it'll make for good reading.

Christ, imagine the sort of prick that has a go at someone for being miscast in a TV series nearly 30 years ago.

And that TV series is fucking GamesMaster.

Chedney Honks

Have you ever talked to anyone who plays games?

Reminder that the Kickstarter for this ends at 8pm tonight.

willbo

I bought one of those big Retro Gamer books from WH Smith in a train station as a gift for a young relative - it was the one on the history of 80s-90s Nintendo - the self service till only charged me 1p for it, though it was meant to be £10.