Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:43:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

UK confirms UK is NOT racist

Started by Cuellar, March 31, 2021, 11:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Who is on this commission? I only see Tony Sewell mentioned in the BBC report.

steveh

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 31, 2021, 01:36:58 PM
Who is on this commission? I only see Tony Sewell mentioned in the BBC report.

It's at the start of the report: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/974507/20210331_-_CRED_Report_-_FINAL_-_Web_Accessible.pdf

They are reported to have been chosen by Munira Mirza, former member of the Revolutionary Communist Party and Spiked writer who has described anti-racism as a "bogus moral crusade".

Well, this is certainly something;

https://twitter.com/aamnamohdin/status/1377217437070938115

QuoteThere is a new story about the Caribbean experience which speaks to the slave period not only being about profit and suffering but how culturally African people transformed themselves into a re-modelled African/Britain.

Turns out, we were just helping them out of poverty after all.

bgmnts

I love how the government just nakedly takes the piss nowadays.

EOLAN

Haven't read too much of it yet. The tone compared to the EHRC one on Labour and anti-semitism is a hell of a lot breezier.

The Labour  report was very harsh and stern allowing what seemed like reasonably low volumes of (but still serious) complaints be blown up to be more institutional than they were. Which wasn't helped by the lack of reference frames to other timeframes in Labour party, comparison to other parties or comparison to complaints from other areas of discrimination; apart from the mention of sexism.

The news reporting also seems to be much more focused on the general tones than the actual indepth analysis. Will need to spend more time to analyse the issues found and mentioned but does seem very much like a PR exercise.

Cuellar

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 31, 2021, 02:26:20 PM
Well, this is certainly something;

https://twitter.com/aamnamohdin/status/1377217437070938115

Turns out, we were just helping them out of poverty after all.

What the hell does that even mean? 'Transformed themselves into a remodelled African/Britain' - bizarre reading of being enslaved aside, do they mean African/Briton? How could a person transform themselves into Britain.

Zetetic

Glad to know that the problem with excessive use of force against black people in the context of mental health issues is simply because they're too ignorant to know that services aren't discriminatory and so don't present early enough for us not to kill them.

England still hasn't implemented the Mental Health Units (Use of Force) Act 2018, passed after 11 Met officers killed Olaseni Lewis in an NHS hospital. Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland lack any such law - requiring the use of body cameras, and consistent reporting on the use of restraint in the NHSs - entirely.

Sebastian Cobb

I thought laws generally got passed for both England and Wales?

bgmnts

Wales gets to choose what colour the bins are for recyclable waste.

Zetetic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 31, 2021, 02:50:25 PM
I thought laws generally got passed for both England and Wales?
The application of the Mental Health Units (Use of Force) Act 2018 is specifically scoped to hospitals in England by how "mental health unit" is defined section 1 of the Act.[nb]I suppose technically the law extends to England and Wales. The only edge case I can think of might be defining what a police officer is, but that's more complicated anyway.[/nb]

Westminster laws relating to healthcare, and in particular the operation of the NHSs, will generally be scoped to England because it's a devolved area. (Whether this is is about healthcare or human rights in a particular context...)

(I note that All Wales People 1st raised the lack of a Welsh law today, as Seni's mother was speaking at their manifesto launch.)

Quote from: Cuellar on March 31, 2021, 02:41:03 PM
What the hell does that even mean? 'Transformed themselves into a remodelled African/Britain' - bizarre reading of being enslaved aside, do they mean African/Briton? How could a person transform themselves into Britain.

Ferris

greenman

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 31, 2021, 01:19:18 PM
in very "Now Show" style I will basically explain my own reference by doing an explicit version of it.

Missed out "I'm" and "But".

Zetetic

Fair play to them, a sterling stoking of the culture wars.

dissolute ocelot

I've dipped into the report and it seems to contain a lot of contradiction and buck-passing.

For starters, it explicitly excludes anti-Muslim sentiment, and since discrimination against South Asians could be blamed on religious discrimination[nb]Even if they're not Muslim, they probably "look Muslim", or it might be more general anti-non-Christian or even anti-religious sentiment[/nb], that's a vast get-out clause. It says in the introduction "We acknowledge the work that has been done on anti-Muslim prejudice and antisemitism even though it is beyond the scope of this report." Sorry David Baddiel!

There's a section saying how poor Bangladeshis and some other South Asians are, immediately followed by a section blaming single parent families for poverty which acknowledges that South Asians are much less likely to be single parent families.

It also dismisses the many studies that show people with white-sounding names are more likely to be invited to job interviews by saying "it is unclear if this effect is about race, class or perceived foreign culture". So discriminating against people because of culture or religion evidently doesn't count as racism.

There are a lot of different types of racism in British society, with Black people being stereotyped in a certain way, and Muslims and South Asians (regardless of religion) being treated in another way, and other groups facing different barriers, but the report seems to conclude that the uneven treatment different groups receive proves racism isn't real. That's the kindest explanation for the report I can come up with. The alternative is that it's written with a desperate mission to find any excuse other than racism for every imbalance. The latter seems likelier.

Buelligan

JamesTC

Always assumed that the UK was a great bunch of lads but it is nice to have it confirmed with a special report.

Zetetic

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 31, 2021, 04:41:26 PM
people with white-sounding names
A relatively minor point, perhaps, but this is a matter of White British names, I suspect. (Contrasted with Eastern European names, for example.)

Anyway, looking forward to this government rolling away any of the barriers tied up with social class and ensuring that people from families of any structure have the lives that they should.

Psybro

The extracts I've seen are poorly written enough to convince me it's intentional trolling.

If they really meant it there are plenty of Tory think tanks who could've written something that actually attempted to be persuasive.

Norton Canes

EOLAN

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 31, 2021, 04:41:26 PM
I've dipped into the report and it seems to contain a lot of contradiction and buck-passing.

For starters, it explicitly excludes anti-Muslim sentiment, and since discrimination against South Asians could be blamed on religious discrimination[nb]Even if they're not Muslim, they probably "look Muslim", or it might be more general anti-non-Christian or even anti-religious sentiment[/nb], that's a vast get-out clause. It says in the introduction "We acknowledge the work that has been done on anti-Muslim prejudice and antisemitism even though it is beyond the scope of this report." Sorry David Baddiel!

There's a section saying how poor Bangladeshis and some other South Asians are, immediately followed by a section blaming single parent families for poverty which acknowledges that South Asians are much less likely to be single parent families.

It also dismisses the many studies that show people with white-sounding names are more likely to be invited to job interviews by saying "it is unclear if this effect is about race, class or perceived foreign culture". So discriminating against people because of culture or religion evidently doesn't count as racism.

There are a lot of different types of racism in British society, with Black people being stereotyped in a certain way, and Muslims and South Asians (regardless of religion) being treated in another way, and other groups facing different barriers, but the report seems to conclude that the uneven treatment different groups receive proves racism isn't real. That's the kindest explanation for the report I can come up with. The alternative is that it's written with a desperate mission to find any excuse other than racism for every imbalance. The latter seems likelier.

Thanks for that dissolute ocelot. May try to delve a bit more into the detail for myself. Did seem evident from the introduction with the language and tone that were pushing for all is bright and breezy here approach; whatever the findings.

Which seems to be the way to manage the media discourse these days.

lipsink

pigamus

Quote from: Buelligan on March 31, 2021, 12:24:59 PM
Perhaps we should think carefully before amplifying the message that Britain is racist, remember who's bringing it up and ask ourselves why.

Isn't that the Tory message?

Cuellar

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 31, 2021, 04:42:45 PM
This Akala thread good https://twitter.com/akalamusic/status/1377248711710027779

Ironic that they can't even get through the report on how not racist the UK is without being racist.

'Come on Caribbeans, catch up. Must be your inherent laziness and idiocy holding you back, not racism'

GMTV

The Scope of Work was presumably to write a report saying the UK is not racist, so I guess it makes sense for them to exclude any instances of or references to racism in the UK.

Bleeding Kansas

I think a government report that said the UK was racist would be deeply offensive to the taxpayers of this country.

Ferris

Quote from: Bleeding Kansas on March 31, 2021, 06:49:28 PM
I think a government report that said the UK was racist would be deeply offensive to the taxpayers of this country.

Especially the racist ones.