Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 11:50:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

UK confirms UK is NOT racist

Started by Cuellar, March 31, 2021, 11:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Anybody who says that the UK is racist needs to personally apologise to that bigoted lady from off of the 2010 election.

flotemysost

Quote from: Zetetic on March 31, 2021, 04:56:09 PM
A relatively minor point, perhaps, but this is a matter of White British names, I suspect. (Contrasted with Eastern European names, for example.)

Oh, definitely. One of my friends was quite open that she wouldn't be using her husband's name in any professional context after they got married a couple of years ago - he's British but with Polish parents, and she was pretty upfront about the fact that his name might just be a bit too "coming over here, stealing our jobs" for some English people (she's also of Polish heritage, but her family name is more easily pronounceable to English speakers and less obviously "other"). Sad, but understandable.

Thanks dissolute ocelot for the brief summary, and you're spot on about the complex and nuanced nature of racism in the UK, which it seems is precisely what's being deliberately glossed over here. Feel like I should read it but not sure I want to afford it the dignity of attention, it seems so depressingly obvious it's just going to be a load of self-serving apologist propaganda.

pigamus

Buelligan

If it makes you happy, it's exactly that. 

It's not but I simply cannot be arsed taking you by the hand around it.  Sorry if I seem abrupt but there it is.

pigamus

Well I feel kind of relaxed about amplifying the idea that Britain is racist, because it is, but maybe I've misunderstood

SpiderChrist

The Culture Bunker

I suppose if the report has any real point, it's to provide people with something to point at and say "see, all these 'woke' idiots were wrong and just complaining for no reason". Nobody needs to read it, the conclusion is all that matters - "we're the least racist people in the world, so there."

SpiderChrist

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 01, 2021, 10:08:12 AM
I suppose if the report has any real point, it's to provide people with something to point at and say "see, all these 'woke' idiots were wrong and just complaining for no reason". Nobody needs to read it, the conclusion is all that matters - "we're the least racist people in the world, so there."

Which is why an 800 word precis was released to friendly publications/journalists at 5pm on the day before publication. Headline  therefore becomes "UK NOT RACIST", everybody pats themselves on the back and the greater detail and nuances of the report take a back seat to more self-congratulatory flag-shagging.

SpiderChrist

I live in the Fens and there are racists FUCKING EVERYWHERE. I remember dropping SpiderChrist Jnr off at her childminders on my way to work and, in conversation with said childminder, expressed my discontent on having to go to Coventry for work (basically cos I'd be driving for 6 hours just to go to a 45 minute meeting) and she replied "Yes, I expect it's full of blacks, isn't it?"

Glebe

gilbertharding

Doesn't the report say that Britain is much more classist than racist? Why is this being presented as 'a win' by the wankers?

Paul Calf

Because it's fine to despise and marginalise poor people because it's their own fault.

This is genuninely how Tories think isn't it?

idunnosomename

most of the brown people are poor. and it's well known we like the sociopathic ultra-rich brown people. god i love britain. britain britain britain. im Sir Lord MP of County Gammon and I have a massive house or two, and a wife and kids, and get to have sex with lots of totty and drive aroiund in my fucking motor car poop poop

EOLAN

Quote from: SpiderChrist on April 01, 2021, 09:51:01 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/01/no-10-race-adviser-resigns-day-after-uk-structural-racism-report-published

Pure coincidence.

His unnamed 'friend' says that it is clearly for personal reasons, being tired and all with the pandemic and definitely nothing to do with the report. Doesn't sound at all like this 'friend' may have any vested interest in downplaying negative reactions to the report.

Buelligan

Well at least we can all relax, knowing it wasn't systemic racism at the root of it but his own personal weakness.

Ferris

Quote from: Buelligan on April 01, 2021, 12:01:11 PM
Well at least we can all relax, knowing it wasn't systemic racism at the root of it but his own personal weakness.

It'll be like the Swedish subtitles on the opening of Holy Grail.

"The Westminster race relations advisor who fired the previous advisor has now also been fired." Etc etc

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 01, 2021, 12:05:03 PM
Arriba!

Which will land them in more hot water and they'll have to start all over again.

Fambo Number Mive

At least one person named as one of the 'academics & individuals' who was consulted by the Commission on Race & Ethnic Disparities says they weren't:

https://twitter.com/blackpoppies14/status/1377522299570638848

QuoteAsked about resignation of Samuel Kasumu, No 10's most senior black adviser, universities minister Gillian Keegan tells Times Radio: "I don't even know who he is!" That line might need a bit of work for the rest of the broadcast round

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1377508684906041344

BlodwynPig

What was the last Great British scandal where someone prominent got their comeuppance publicly and absolutely?

Savile? Dead already
Mellor? not really

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 01, 2021, 06:12:40 PM
What was the last Great British scandal where someone prominent got their comeuppance publicly and absolutely?

Savile? Dead already
Mellor? not really

Ian Watkins?

BlodwynPig

TrenterPercenter

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 01, 2021, 06:47:32 PM
Max Clifford?

Thank you. But he was already in his vintage by that point.

Twit 2

Savile? Dead already
Mellor? not really

Pubes Daz

BlodwynPig

EOLAN

Savile? Dead already
Mellor? not really

Didn't look good for Corbyn.

Buelligan

Jeeping fuck, this probably strikes you all as terribly innocent of me.  I knew The Cunt Johnson had said and written some terrible terrible racist things, but fuck me, I didn't know all of it.  Just seen some stuff on the NIPPER's twit that's made my brain boil.  I won't even link it because it's so vile.  Why is he even allowed?  Britain has gone badly wrong I'm afraid, not even joking. 

'specially in the light of the Corby stuff and what they did to him, I mean, fuck.

BlodwynPig

We missed our chance to put this to bed in the 80s.