Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:29:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

monke vs lizar

Started by madhair60, March 31, 2021, 01:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Chedney Honks on April 05, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
I've heard of them but that's the first thing I've seen of them. As I say, no interest in the Western action movie take on Godzilla, really, nor the Japanese goofy friend of kids version, either.

They think they're cleverer than they are and can be a bit sniffy and sarky, but if you're in the mood to switch your brain off and watch a couple of schmo's paddle around in the shallow end, talking about new releases, it can be watchable throw away wind down material. The more you watch, the more you like it/them, there's definitely some stockholm syndrome at play :D
I quite like the half in the bag, it can be good fun if you've recently watched the film they're talking about!

I saw the first godzilla when I was little. Lots of people sitting around on the phone in black and white, talking in a foreign language. Annoyingly scant rubber munster action.
As you can imagine, for a little kid who loved king kong, it was a bit of a disappointment.
Saw another one on telly when I was 13 or something, it was colour and another lad shared title billing with him (it wasn't mothra) and I remember them having a barny in the ocean. Again, a bit nonplussed/underwhelmed.
Probably just watched the wrong ones and at the wrong time.

Quote from: madhair60 on April 04, 2021, 07:24:56 PM
i think of killing myself quite regularly

You don't really think about doing that, do you, madhair? No good'll come of that, lad.
You lot have got me questioning everything now. Does Gregg Turkington really like the hobbit films? :D

bakabaka

Finally got round to watching Shin Godzilla recently and enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.  It may have been because I watched the subbed version rather than a dub, but with the huge amount of dialogue[nb] Yes, I realise that this was a major point of the film[/nb]necessitating continuous speed reading of the subs while keeping one eye out for more monster action made watching the film a very manic experience and despite it alternating between kaiju destruction and headless chicken politics the whole thing felt like the cinematic equivalent of the motorik beat - fast, relentless and overwhelming. It's probably the only monotone film I've seen (other than Warhol's Empire), though it's definitely not monotonous [nb]Empire was nothing but monotonous[/nb]. It just pushes you along for the whole journey with none of the predictable plot points you get in Hollywood movies[nb]And no attempt to shoehorn 'family' in to be the reason for saving the day[/nb]. My only complaint was the original giant plushie version of Godzilla, but thankfully mutation got rid of that one soon enough.

I'm assuming MvL has none of this and is just your standard 'family' fare.

notjosh

Despite what some people have said in this and the previous thread, Kong: Skull Island is wicked and the best Kong movie since 1933 (not difficult, to be fair). It's a proper adventure movie full of exciting locations, whacky monsters and scenery-chewing baddies. Beats the crap out of the rubbish Godzilla film about a big lizard slowly shuffling through a grey, industrial landscape at dusk while humans look a bit sad.

phantom_power

I have been watching the previous films for the first time in preparation to this. I didn't realise they were so linked. I assumed they were all just reboots with no linking characters.

Kong: Skull Island is genuinely fun and a good film. It benefits from some good acting, and some fun OTT acting, plus some low-key stakes with a clear through-plot

Godzilla is OK but far too dark and far too po-faced

Godzilla: King of Monsters is lighter but still po-faced and both films suffer from a lack of coherent plot or characters you care about, though the latter is much better in that respect

notjosh

Quote from: phantom_power on April 06, 2021, 09:49:37 AMKong: Skull Island is genuinely fun and a good film. It benefits from some good acting, and some fun OTT acting, plus some low-key stakes with a clear through-plot

Yes, good shout. That's one of the main reasons it's more fun than your average world-in-peril modern blockbuster.

Chedney Honks

Just rewatched a bit of KOTM this afternoon because I'm WFH and there area some of spectacular moments, especially with the King Ghidorah initial reveal and him just going apeshit. That's what I love about these films really, the helplessness and infinitesimally low value of a human life in the face of a fucking Godzilla but which also makes you feel great empathy for humanity's resistance. I think it's the bit where the soldiers were shooting King Ghidorah in the face and it's like this is doing nothing, please run, please just run. And then King Ghidorah rears up, you see some crackles of gold surging through his throats and then he breathes lightning from all three heads and the soldiers sublime off this realm in a millisecond.

Much of the other stuff is ponderous, though. Either naff American cliché or just boring.

Jerzy Bondov

Skull Island feels like it should have come out in the wake of the original Jurassic Park, and I mean that as a massive compliment.

madhair60

Quote from: Chedney Honks on April 06, 2021, 04:50:46 PM
Just rewatched a bit of KOTM this afternoon because I'm WFH and there area some of spectacular moments, especially with the King Ghidorah initial reveal and him just going apeshit.

That long shot where he starts queefing lightning all over the place is excellent.

Instantly canceled out by the Konglettes in leather jackets singing "queef lightnin'" I thought

"You know that I ain't braggin'
he's a real pussy dragon
queef lightnin'"

Fair enough for a quick 3 second gag, but don't do a full rendition.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on April 07, 2021, 11:49:16 AM
That long shot where he starts queefing lightning all over the place is excellent.

I watched KotM over the weekend, because all the clips I'd seen made it look visually stunning, but in the end there was nothing else to it, except the handful of trailer shots I'd already seen. The actual fights and everything in between are all fairly unremarkable, even visually. It's just a dozen of really nice shots, like Ghidora in the volcano hellscape, Mothra in the sky, and Rhodan spinning to fuck up the jets, with nothing else of that quality between them. You could basically get as much from the film by typing "King of the Monsters screensavers" into google as by watching the film for two hours.

Goldentony

I saw KOTM in the cinema and when Ghidorah first went for it I wanted to stand up and start hitting people it was that exciting

Dex Sawash

Was on but I read CaB through the whole thing.

chveik

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 08, 2021, 01:17:55 AM
Was on but I read CaB through the whole thing.

are there other ways to watch films?

Is this official? The bandicam logo on the trailer makes me think that it mustn't be - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1588140/Monkey_vs_Dino/
Graphics are on point though

Spiteface

Quote from: Spiteface on April 05, 2021, 12:46:21 AM
Jet Jaguar is a shit Ultraman knockoff.

Just watched Godzilla vs Megalon, and I stand by this.

Jet Jaguar is pants.

bgmnts

Anyone slagging Jet Jagaaa is dead inside.

Spiteface

Quote from: bgmnts on October 18, 2021, 12:54:23 AM
Anyone slagging Jet Jagaaa is dead inside.

Well I haven't felt alive for years anyway.

But Jet Jaguar is shit, though. Unless this is one of those "ironic' things.