Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:54:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Skin colour

Started by bgmnts, March 31, 2021, 04:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Bit of a weird one but we all know that life began in Africa and spread out in all different directions, and that skin pigmentation is down to melanin right, and that is in part due to the amount of sun the nearer you are to the equator, right? So we started out very dark skinned and the further we moved far enough from the equator we'd get lighter and lighter. So how come this only happened going north? Why were there no white people in the south of Africa or Australia or the south of South America? Is it not far enough from the equator or did people specifically breed in Europe and Asia to create lighter skin?

WERE there light skinned people in these regions?

Captain Z

The equator is much further "south" than you'd guess looking at a typical map of the world. South Africa is the same distance from the equator as Morocco/Egypt, for example.

bgmnts

So if you were to go back thousands of years to the southern tip of Aus or Argentina you'd find tribes of white people? That would be fascinating!

Johnny Yesno

Thread started by pgmnts.

Zetetic

Quote from: bgmnts on March 31, 2021, 05:13:33 PM
So if you were to go back thousands of years to the southern tip of Aus or Argentina you'd find tribes of white people? That would be fascinating!
I don't think that's guaranteed and I don't think it's true for Aboriginal Australians (although I'd be interested in being proved wrong).

Depends on actual selective pressure to lose eumelanin production (e.g. importance of Vit D deficiency) and luck, I guess.

Zetetic

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on March 31, 2021, 04:46:39 PM

WERE there light skinned people in these regions?

No, it's just a pigment of your imagination.

bgmnts

Quote from: Zetetic on March 31, 2021, 05:23:11 PM
Where that map is from:
https://news.psu.edu/story/381539/2015/11/18/research/sepia-rainbow

That was interesting.

I liked this:

QuoteAs she explains, the sun's ultraviolet rays, in addition to causing cell damage and other forms of harm, play a vital role in human health
Nature is fucking weird.

Dex Sawash

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: bgmnts on March 31, 2021, 04:46:39 PM
Is it not far enough from the equator

This, basically - there is a large amount of landmass in the northern hemisphere at high latitudes and there isn't at similar latitudes in the southern hemisphere. Even southern Australia is relatively close to the equator compared with much of Europe. As for southern South America (the tip is about as far south as the UK is north) - people first reached that area fairly recently, at least relative to the time since Homo sapiens first left Africa.

Inspector Norse

Explain penguins then

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 31, 2021, 05:16:27 PM
Thread started by pgmnts.

best thing you've ever posted ;)

Ray Travez

Quote from: Zetetic on March 31, 2021, 05:22:07 PM
I don't think that's guaranteed and I don't think it's true for Aboriginal Australians (although I'd be interested in being proved wrong).

Depends on actual selective pressure to lose eumelanin production (e.g. importance of Vit D deficiency) and luck, I guess.

I don't know how da fuck climate or the equator or melanin works, but the majority of Aboriginal Australians lived in the tropical/sub-tropical part of Australia. The Maori in New Zealand are much lighter skinned, for example.

Zetetic

Interesting point about the Maori.

gib

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 31, 2021, 11:30:33 PM
I don't know how da fuck climate or the equator or melanin works, but the vast majority of Aboriginal Australians lived in the tropical/sub-tropical part of Australia that most people forget about. The Maori in New Zealand are much lighter skinned, for example.

they showed up in NZ in medieval times so probably don't count but yeah

Pijlstaart

Agree we need skin, but don't see why it has to be on us. From an evolutionary perspective it makes sense to carry it about loose like a big tarpaulin, so versatile, you've got a bindle, you've got an easy-clean crashmat for your forward-roll shits, no phimosis deaths as you can roll the whole thing up into a big foreskin at will. It just makes sense . Founder effect, this attached skin malarkey, no way we'd be able to sexually compete with loose-skinned men, would love nothing more than to watch them erect skin-tent boudoirs and generation
by generation shag the skin off our women.

touchingcloth

Polar bears took this idea to extremes.

Sherringford Hovis

I'm so white I live at the North Pole according to that map. Or imperially-measured depths underground, pasty Troglophile, fathoms deep. I'm so white that polar bears ask "Who's that honky?" Just 20 minutes in the sun and the likes of Cyriak make meme-gifs of my magenta boat-race to wind up Brexshitters though.

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 01, 2021, 12:22:44 AM
Polar bears took this idea to extremes.

They've actually got dark black skin (and their fur ain't even white, it's transparent) - unless this is one of those Amazing Facts that goes around but is actually false.