Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:44:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hoping to prevent the purchase of an electric scooter

Started by Norton Canes, March 31, 2021, 09:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

So Master Canes (aged 17) has decided he wants to buy an electric scooter, mainly for the one and a bit miles commute to his two-day-a-week job. Like this sort of thing:

My concern as both a parent and a 52 year old man who is deeply cynical of all new technological fads is that these scooters are all flimsy pieces of junk which invariably fizzle out after a few months use (Also, that when riding one he will look like a twat. But that's for him to deal with).

Obviously CaB members are all way to cool to be seen on these contraptions. But I'm thinking that perhaps one or two of you know enough about them to either allay or confirm my fears, and perhaps even point me in the direction of one that has an anticipated active lifespan of more than a couple of weeks.

(I should mention that my alarm bells were raised when I read the detailed specs on one of these things and it said "should not be ridden in rain or through puddles", which will of course make it useless throughout most of the British summer, let alone the winter months.)

I'm hoping that his expressed desire to purchase an electric scooter is part of an elaborate hoax designed to get me to buy him a new bike.

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

It's his money. All I can do is tell him exactly what it will buy him.

Cuntbeaks

One of the highlights of my trip to Vienna a few years back was scooting about on one. You could hire them off the street with an app.

Buelligan

Jesus fucking christ, it's one and a bit miles, you awful prick bgmnts.

amateur

These things are a fucking nightmare. Not so much about the technology, which is relatively decent, but the fact that they're all driven by 17 year olds who think they're invincible.

No chance anyone driving one would be caught dead with a helmet or high-vis, and when these are too fast to be on the pavement and too invisible to be on the roads, is a problem.

Bike would be better, especially considering that these are still technically illegal on public roads (unless hired) and you're one arsey copper away from confiscation.

thugler

Quote from: amateur on March 31, 2021, 09:33:38 PM
These things are a fucking nightmare. Not so much about the technology, which is relatively decent, but the fact that they're all driven by 17 year olds who think they're invincible.

No chance anyone driving one would be caught dead with a helmet or high-vis, and when these are too fast to be on the pavement and too invisible to be on the roads, is a problem.

Bike would be better, especially considering that these are still technically illegal on public roads (unless hired) and you're one arsey copper away from confiscation.

Here in brum they've just made it legal to use this on the road, for one brand of these that are left all around the place on the side of the street, you seem to be able to hire them very cheap and people whizz around on them looking pretty vulnerable to me.

amateur

A risky move in a city with as many canals as Birmingham, you'd have to think.

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on March 31, 2021, 09:31:07 PM
Jesus fucking christ, it's one and a bit miles, you awful prick bgmnts.

By his age I was walking 12 miles to and from the ironworks every day at 4am.

chveik

Inspector Norse

They've had the things here for some time, they're a pain in the arse because there doesn't seem to be any fucking law covering them like there is with cycles or cars or bloody people walking around, so tossers can just zoom around on the things ignoring cycle paths, roadsigns and the like and do themselves or others injury by crashing.

If you're out in town at night it can be quite amusing seeing the guys going round changing batteries. They scoot around in the middle of the night in Chucklemobiles tracing the hire scooters with their GPS and are as much of a hazard as the real things.

hamfist

They're pretty good fun, I tried the Tier (AIDS-Tier?) ones here in York but they're castrated because Britain. The Tiers in Hamburg are not limited and you can really hoon around on them.

I have a powered skateboard and I really love it. Arguably safer than a regular skateboard because the motors also act as effective brakes if you regenerate electricity to slow down.

bgmnts

In all seriousness, I reckon it could be quite a good purchase.

Butchers Blind

Inspector Norse

Quote from: bgmnts on March 31, 2021, 09:41:52 PM
By his age I was walking 12 miles to and from the ironworks every day at 4am.

Admittedly to rob parts from the electric scooters they used to make there

Sebastian Cobb

There was one in our lab for a bit because someone had paid one of the electronics guys to fix it after a sensor went dead and stopped it working entirely, but the guy that fixed it said it was mechanically shite, single shoe disc brakes or something that bent easily. I think it might've been an unofficial clone though.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

He's 17, so he could get a 125cc motorbike or scooter, and yet he wants to zoom around like an absolute goon on one of those? Disown him and demand a DNA test.

Buelligan

Send him to military academy.  That'll sort him out.

ersatz99

If you can fix an e-scooter you can fix a type 45 destroyer.

gib

Quote from: bgmnts on March 31, 2021, 09:47:22 PM
In all seriousness, I reckon it could be quite a good purchase.

They really seem to annoy old farts so yeah

Goldentony

put a bell on it or a horn if you get one because ive just been out among city wankers for the first time in a while and walking on a pavement was like crossing a road every few seconds because id have to look over my shoulder to make sure one of these stupid dog fuckers didnt just silently crash into one of us near roadworks or single file fenced off bits of town, honestly, if he gets one tell him there'll be zero tears when he comes home with it up his arse because he was doing 50 past a bargain booze

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Tell him you didn't realise he was a pleb-tier casual who needs a scooter that comes with an Easy mode.

Dex Sawash

Buelligan

Have you considered not paying your electric any more?

Fry

My brother bought me one for my 30th birthday. Its brilliant for nipping to the shop when I really can't be arsed to walk. Also, in the future I look forward to not having to worry about fitting my bike onto a crowded train when I have to go to work.

When I'm on it I do get the impression it won't last me more than about 6 months of continual use, tbh.

amateur

Delighted by the amount of hooning chat in this thread.

Pinball

Firstly, if buying a scooter I'd recommend inflatable tyres not solid, as the ride is very rough with solid on anything but a smooth surface. More broadly, given the legality, safety and functionality, I'd overall choose a bike over a scooter any day. So much more practical, to state the obvious.