Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:27:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hoping to prevent the purchase of an electric scooter

Started by Norton Canes, March 31, 2021, 09:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fry on April 01, 2021, 12:37:18 PM
My brother bought me one for my 30th birthday. Its brilliant for nipping to the shop when I really can't be arsed to walk. Also, in the future I look forward to not having to worry about fitting my bike onto a crowded train when I have to go to work.

When I'm on it I do get the impression it won't last me more than about 6 months of continual use, tbh.

Standing unicycles look even more convenient if you're getting on a train I reckon. Although there is a massive risk of you smashing your face up I suppose.

Sebastian Cobb

Doesn't effectively allowing exceptions just for big faceless rental companies smack of cronyism?

I can't say I'm totally against the rental model because they do seem convenient for occasional use and a bit too shit to own.

I did look at some of the actual electric mopeds, but they're like 3 grand for something that's slower and has much worse range than something like a speedflight, which you can pick up for about £500.

thugler

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 01, 2021, 12:48:25 PM
Doesn't effectively allowing exceptions just for big faceless rental companies smack of cronyism?

I can't say I'm totally against the rental model because they do seem convenient for occasional use and a bit too shit to own.

Yeah seems like it, it is just a trial though.

The scooters are I think, £1 to unlock and 20p a minute, or there is a subscription model which is cheaper than that. Apparently they all get collected up at night in trucks and recharged

Ignatius_S

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 01, 2021, 12:46:02 PM
They're not actually legal to use anywhere other than private land

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617

Tell him Priti's goons in blue will cave his head in with it

more detail

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/powered-transporters/information-sheet-guidance-on-powered-transporters

That information is a bit out of date. There are trials currently going on allowing rental scooters on roads.

Ignatius_S

If you really do want to put them off one of these, you could try emulating one of my friends who pressed the accelerator instead of the brakes, hit a parked car and broke their foot.

Sebastian Cobb

What happens if you crash one pissed? Is it classed as a motoring offence (I guess not since you don't need a licence to drive one) or do you just get a slap on the wrist and bollocked like you do on a pushbike?

jobotic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jobotic on April 01, 2021, 02:01:09 PM
Please what is hooning chat?

I think hooning is what we used to call 'tear-arsing'.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 01, 2021, 01:59:01 PM
What happens if you crash one pissed? Is it classed as a motoring offence (I guess not since you don't need a licence to drive one) or do you just get a slap on the wrist and bollocked like you do on a pushbike?
if you caused damage to someone or something on one I reckon it might open you up for criminal charges

MojoJojo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 01, 2021, 01:59:01 PM

If you're doing one hire trial ones (which is the only legal way) then yes you do need a license.

They're classed as cars, so if you're doing it illegally then yeah I think you'll get more than a slap on the wrist. Probably depends on the police though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 01, 2021, 02:18:05 PM
If you're doing one hire trial ones (which is the only legal way) then yes you do need a license.

They're classed as cars, so if you're doing it illegally then yeah I think you'll get more than a slap on the wrist. Probably depends on the police though.

What sort of licence? It's weird because making it a car licence seems a bit exclusionary to people on mopeds, which seems a bit odd since riding a moped probably is closer to one of these things, but I can't even ride a moped without cbt.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 01, 2021, 02:22:11 PM
What sort of licence? It's weird because making it a car licence seems a bit exclusionary to people on mopeds, which seems a bit odd since riding a moped probably is closer to one of these things, but I can't even ride a moped without cbt.

Pretty sure that that the license can be a provisional one and either one for car or moped.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 01, 2021, 12:48:25 PM

I did look at some of the actual electric mopeds, but they're like 3 grand for something that's slower and has much worse range than something like a speedfight, which you can pick up for about £500.

Had one of them when I was younger. I think other people were a bit shocked that something that small with a 100cc engine could go 65 mph. Used to get bemused looks from people on dual carriageways (or maybe they just thought I was a cunt).

Sebastian Cobb

That sounds a lot like the only purpose the licence serves is that it can be revoked for poor behaviour.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 01, 2021, 02:34:37 PM
Had one of them when I was younger. I think other people were a bit shocked that something that small with a 100cc engine could go 65 mph. Used to get bemused looks from people on dual carriageways (or maybe they just thought I was a cunt).

My mate had the 50cc one and it wasn't slow, especially when he replaced the exhaust (which also removed the restrictor plate).

He did make some modifications to it to try and get more speed out of it, including drilling holes in the airbox, which I assume didn't work considering they were quickly covered over with sellotape.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've seen lads on them put their heads down, in order to achieve a more aerodynamic profile. That's got to give you an extra 2 mph.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 01, 2021, 02:43:12 PM
I've seen lads on them put their heads down, in order to achieve a more aerodynamic profile. That's got to give you an extra 2 mph.

I think on the older Yamaha FS1E it was standard practice to flip the U shaped handlebars down to force that riding position.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 01, 2021, 02:22:11 PM

I think it's a car license, but yeah it can be provisional. I think the point is they're trying to work out where they fit in, and they've been put into a restrictive class until they've worked it out. I imagine they'll be put in the same category as mopeds or ebikes.

There are a lot of them about considering they're illegal. Then I am in Cambridge.

mothman

We have a trial running here right now (north Bristol). I go out for my evening constitutional and the fucking things are left clustered at all the intersections, green of red LEDs glowing on and off eerily. Machine singularity soon, I'm telling you right now.

Sebastian Cobb

If some sort of Maximum Overdrive scenario does happen it's probably preferable it starts with cheap shite that can be bent or thrown in a canal rather than Lorries.

Fambo Number Mive

What celebrities does he hate? Tell them one of them has bought an electric scooter.

iamcoop

They're being trialled in Newcastle at the moment and they're fucking everywhere.

You ostensibly need a provisional license to hire one but apparently you can just make up a license number and enter that in the app and it will let you proceed without actually checking it.

They're restricted to certain areas of the city, seemingly arbitrarily. You can ride them in Jesmond but not in Heaton for example. £1 hire cost and then 18p a minute.

I have not seen anyone over the age of 18 riding one and they way they ride around unfettered and dangerously in the city centre suggests to me someone is going to get killed on one sooner rather than later.

I'm surprised they're even being trialled given when they attempted the Boris bike thing up here they lost a lot of money as legend Gary's just kept throwing them in the tyne.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

He's 17 so he basically just wants every single thing that conceivably be won in a Gadget Show prize draw, no matter how impractical or novelty the item may be

And who can blame him? Not me.

If he thinks it will make him a sensitive tech bro with his packed lunch and tie fluttering stylishly in the breeze you could always hire someone to have him clotheslined. Your own son.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think the only thing you can really do now is flush your son's head down the toilet.

Goldentony

can you play Nightshift by The Commodores to him? he's young and hearing that might get the idea out of his head and help him realise whats important

imitationleather

The Newcastle scooters no longer work from 11pm-5am because of people riding them pissed, and after 9pm you have to do a reaction test when you open the app.

After the first couple of weeks I now also only ever see kids on them.

Norton Canes

Well, the scooter turned up yesterday evening, and he's spent most of today in his words "Bezzing up and down on it". He loves it and he's happy. What more can you ask eh.

Fambo Number Mive

I nearly got knocked over by someone on an electric scooter today.