Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:33:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mansun appreciation thread

Started by Kankurette, March 31, 2021, 11:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: icehaven on May 16, 2021, 10:15:27 PM
Who's Laura Knapes?
Laura Snapes, the Guardian's deputy music editor, who also writes for Buzzfeed, Pitchfork, NPR, NME and Elle.

Sonny_Jim

'Mmm-bop' was catchy as hell, although I've noticed they have to pitch it down a bit singing live nowadays,.

I have an interesting theory.

1993-1994 - John Barrowman hosts Live & Kicking
1995-1996 - John Barrowman hosts The Movie Game
1997-2004 - Mansun release three studio albums and Kleptomania, officially splitting in 2003
2005 - John Barrowman returns to TV in Doctor Who

Perhaps Draper was John Barrowman's cock all along?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Bloody hell. Back to feeling anxious every time I see the thread get bumped. I know my feelings are utterly insignificant compared to the issues raised by this, but I think this might have left me feeling the crappiest I have since the pandemic began.
Whatever ends up happening, I reckon he's probably torched his new album's chances.

Icehaven

Quote from: buzby on May 17, 2021, 08:29:33 AM
Laura Snapes, the Guardian's deputy music editor, who also writes for Buzzfeed, Pitchfork, NPR, NME and Elle.

Oh that's why Googling her didn't work.

Icehaven

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on May 15, 2021, 09:24:07 PM
Yikes: https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/paul-draper-spooky-action/15123/188

There's nothing on his own fb page or the "official" PD fan page, actually no posts at all since mid April so presumably either they were on another platform or have been deleted.

niat

Quote from: icehaven on May 17, 2021, 12:24:05 PM
There's nothing on his own fb page or the "official" PD fan page, actually no posts at all since mid April so presumably either they were on another platform or have been deleted.

They were all on his Facebook page and have since been deleted.

Chicory

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 17, 2021, 10:21:07 AM
Whatever ends up happening, I reckon he's probably torched his new album's chances.

The difficult second deleted drunken rant.

Icehaven

Quote from: niat on May 17, 2021, 12:59:56 PM
They were all on his Facebook page and have since been deleted.

Yep I thought that was probably the case seeing as he'd apparently posted nothing since mid April.

Another one (which he's also deleted):

Edit - At very best he's harassing a woman for doing her job. That says everything I need to know about him before any accusations are made public.

Chicory

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on May 23, 2021, 09:27:05 AM
Another one (which he's also deleted):

Edit - At very best he's harassing a woman for doing her job. That says everything I need to know about him before any accusations are made public.

Always thought Mansun were a bit rubbish. Hope Paul gets 'draped' over the coals for this.

The Mollusk

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 23, 2021, 06:52:56 PM
Always thought Mansun were a bit rubbish. Hope Paul gets 'draped' over the coals for this.

I don't really understand why you think these two separate things are in any way equatable?

Kankurette

Mansun were great. Draper is a cunt.

Just caught this on Facebook. He's "retiring from music".

I didn't see it, but apparently he posted the name and contact details of his accuser the other week.

Chicory

Hard to know if this is just the latest tedious late night booze fuelled cry for help or a genuine parting statement. I suspect the former but I'm rapidly losing interest either way.  He honks of unpleasantness.

Icehaven

Quote from: Chicory on July 23, 2021, 08:14:39 AM
Hard to know if this is just the latest tedious late night booze fuelled cry for help or a genuine parting statement. I suspect the former

Yep agree. Surprised it's still up actually.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I assume journalists don't tend to talk about their scoops before they're published, but has there been any confirmation that Laura Snapes, or anyone else, has actually been investigating Draper? He's digging his own grave otherwise. I don't want to believe the worst about him - as previously stated, his music has meant a lot to me over the years and I'd love to enjoy it again some day - but the more he brings it up, the more real the possibility seems to get.

JohnnyCouncil

On the basis of this thread, I've gone all in on the PD EPs and LP. Enjoyed them at the time but not enough to buy. Hope it's not true for all the reasons above, plus I would have been keen to hear his forthcoming Cult Leader Tactics.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 24, 2021, 02:29:15 PM
I assume journalists don't tend to talk about their scoops before they're published, but has there been any confirmation that Laura Snapes, or anyone else, has actually been investigating Draper? He's digging his own grave otherwise. I don't want to believe the worst about him - as previously stated, his music has meant a lot to me over the years and I'd love to enjoy it again some day - but the more he brings it up, the more real the possibility seems to get.

would presume that someone who Snapes pressed for info was less sympathetic and told Draper. a lot of artists who have been cancelled are aware they are about to be (and not by having any self-reflection on their actions).

sutin

The utterly lovely and gentlemany Radio Wales DJ Adam Walton has revealed that the prick singer from Mansun has gone after him (without naming him) and is making false accusations. Fuck, i'm glad I never bothered with this band.

Quote from: sutin on July 29, 2021, 10:05:31 AM
The utterly lovely and gentlemany Radio Wales DJ Adam Walton has revealed that the prick singer from Mansun has gone after him (without naming him) and is making false accusations. Fuck, i'm glad I never bothered with this band.

Where is this? I've had a look but can't find anything.

I assume this is about Draper too: https://twitter.com/seaninsound/status/1420653153595404290

purlieu

Kind of hoping he does just retire now, I'm not sure I could really enjoy Cult Leader Tactics as it'd be so utterly tainted by this bullshit.

JohnnyCouncil

Agree with this. It's strange/apt the planned title of the record with everything that he seems to be doing at the moment.

Pauline Walnuts

They never meant nowt to me, Vienna, but I was just checking out this recent interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8QPa6x2oIA

I had to put it onto 1.25 speed, you know what I mean? Is he on some form of sedation?

I Can Only Disappoint U effectively a manifesto at this point.

Hope the dozy cunt gets the help he needs cos I don't see how this doesn't end really badly for someone this far removed from reality.

PaulTMA

It's terrible, but "paranoid delusions" as someone says in response to the DiS guy would be the best possible reason for all the horribleness.  I had wondered if he was creating a lot of this in his own head

From the Drowned in Sound chap:

QuoteEarlier this year Paul Draper was issued with a community resolution order for harassment dating back to 2014. At the same time he also received another CRO for malicious communications for messages I received in January. He confessed to sending these emails (with various people on cc including his record label) & a series of grotesque texts messages to me, and said that he would stop.

He has continued to post about me on his social channels in recent days. I have once again spoken to the police today, as I believe have other individuals he's recently made accusations about, likely backed by the institutions they work for.

The Mollusk

PaulTMA

Looks like someone still has his back