Author Topic: Another Graphics Card thread  (Read 240 times)

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
Another Graphics Card thread
« on: April 01, 2021, 10:43:14 AM »
I've been playing with some machine learning stuff, and some of this can take advantage of GPU's. I've so far been playing around renting machines on AWS but I also have a spare older machine I could lob a graphics card into to help with this.

Since I'm not gaming the card doesn't have to be the latest, I just want speed-up for some of these tasks to be measured in days rather than months.

From what I can tell my main requirements are:
Supports CUDA - so NVIDIA chipset
6GB of vram (or thereabouts)

The machine it is on is a Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4ghz on an Asus M4A88T-M motherboard, it was ok at the time but that was nearly 10 years ago, I've completely lost track of how processors have advanced, I feel like the core of computers can last longer than they used to, but it also feels like 10 years would render it a lost cause?

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

• Nothing is ever as good or bad as you think.
    • http://www.last.fm/user/georgethebadger/
Re: Another Graphics Card thread
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 01:04:56 PM »
Possibly the worst time in the history of home computing to try and buy a new or second-hand GPU.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 01:06:25 PM »
Yeah, that's why I'm leaning towards things easing up and people buying new ones, leaving me to pick up a replacement. But I need to know what to look for still.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 01:10:14 PM »
Sounds like a GTX 1060 or above is in order, that's a 6GB one. Had the mobile variant in my previous laptop and had no issues.

Tags: