Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:10:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another Graphics Card thread

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 01, 2021, 10:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I've been playing with some machine learning stuff, and some of this can take advantage of GPU's. I've so far been playing around renting machines on AWS but I also have a spare older machine I could lob a graphics card into to help with this.

Since I'm not gaming the card doesn't have to be the latest, I just want speed-up for some of these tasks to be measured in days rather than months.

From what I can tell my main requirements are:
Supports CUDA - so NVIDIA chipset
6GB of vram (or thereabouts)

The machine it is on is a Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4ghz on an Asus M4A88T-M motherboard, it was ok at the time but that was nearly 10 years ago, I've completely lost track of how processors have advanced, I feel like the core of computers can last longer than they used to, but it also feels like 10 years would render it a lost cause?

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Possibly the worst time in the history of home computing to try and buy a new or second-hand GPU.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah, that's why I'm leaning towards things easing up and people buying new ones, leaving me to pick up a replacement. But I need to know what to look for still.

El Unicornio, mang

Sounds like a GTX 1060 or above is in order, that's a 6GB one. Had the mobile variant in my previous laptop and had no issues.