Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:58:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Albums you really want on vinyl

Started by Custard, April 01, 2021, 11:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

I've only been collecting records the last year or two, and my collection has been slowly building. Expensive business, isn't it

So far I've bought a lot of absolute essentials for me, like much of the work of Kate Bush and Bowie, The Beatles, etc

Yet there are some records I'd dearly love to eventually own, that are either out of print, or currently go for extortionate prices

Supergrass - In It For The Money is a big one. I managed to get a copy of I Should Coco off eBay for pretty cheap recently, which was great, but their second album currently eludes me, the swine. Kinda wish I'd just gone all out and bought that discography boxset they stuck out a couple years back now

Super Furry Animals' Rings Around The World. I have the first three albums, so this would be the final installment of their imperial phase, for me

It's next on her brilliant reissue campaign, but I'd love to own Let England Shake by PJ Harvey. Adore that record

Sunflower by The Beach Boys appears to go for daft prices, so hopefully that will get a reissue at some point

Echo and The Bunnymen's Ocean Rain

Substance by New Order. Love it, but 300 squid, second hand? Don't like it that much. Possibly

There are others, but that's enough from me

Do you have any records you fancy that remain just out of reach?

#FirstWorldProblems

Dusty Substance

The one record I've been looking to buy on vinyl since I first became aware of it about 20 years ago, is Peter Wyngarde's controversial LP from the 70s. I've got an eBay alert set up for it, and they pop up maybe three times a year and always for three figures.

Seems unlikely it'll ever get re-issued, but his estate was sold last year (or 2019?) so maybe someone now owns the rights to it and they'll put it out on a small indie label.

Fingers crossed.

sevendaughters

I'd really like to own all of the Labradford and Thinking Fellers Union Local #282 on vinyl. All but the first Labradford are wildly out of print and command silly prices. If I had the money I'd not just buy those copies, I'd start a vanity press to issue the fuckers to the other 12 idiots around the world who want them. My Discogs alerts are primed but still not able to pull the trigger.

I'd also like to pick up all the ECM versions of Steve Reich. They command a pretty penny. I nearly plumped for a VG Music for 18 Musicians in a shop in Great Malvern but realised it was beans and walking for 3 weeks if I did.

I'm not a completist otherwise but there are a hell of lot of acts who have at least 1 record I want; Gastr del Sol, Country Teasers, Dome, Bing and Ruth come to mind right now.

Feels like with the recent MBV farrago and the new GYBE record selling out its initial run that labels know how to create surges of interest better than they did, but essentially to the same 2000 bald men.

sevendaughters

actually this thread made me buy Camoufleur by Gastr del Sol so I hope you're bloody happy

Custard

Ha, sorry seven daughters! How much did it set you back?

The most I've paid for a record was last month when I plumped a fifty down for Super Furry Animals' Mnwg. Was a fancy boxset version with extra stuff, but that hurt

Egyptian Feast

I have loads but at the moment I'd like a reasonably priced copy of Associates' The Affectionate Punch (haven't looked too hard, admittedly) and Gal Costa's Gal (which I've been after for years).

Rich Uncle Skeleton

(removed by request)

idunnosomename

would love an original press of Effigy of the Forgotten or Realm of Chaos. Thing is they didn't even make that many of them at the time. Especially when we're talking 1991.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 01, 2021, 12:02:04 PM
The one record I've been looking to buy on vinyl since I first became aware of it about 20 years ago, is Peter Wyngarde's controversial LP from the 70s. I've got an eBay alert set up for it, and they pop up maybe three times a year and always for three figures.

Seems unlikely it'll ever get re-issued, but his estate was sold last year (or 2019?) so maybe someone now owns the rights to it and they'll put it out on a small indie label.

Fingers crossed.

I'm surprised Jonny Trunk hasn't got on this one yet but it's on RCA though which may be a bit of a stumbling block,
my copy is a single sleeved German pressing, same tracks as UK issue & slightly different sleeve, it's a great if very un-pc album.
On Discogs someone has written "Alan McGee's Rev-Ola label was going to reissue this ... but when AM heard it he instantly nixed it. A rare, latter-day occasion when AM showed any taste."

sevendaughters

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 01, 2021, 12:25:25 PM
Ha, sorry seven daughters! How much did it set you back?

The most I've paid for a record was last month when I plumped a fifty down for Super Furry Animals' Mnwg. Was a fancy boxset version with extra stuff, but that hurt

wasn't actually more than a new record but am just a tight git / in sub-optimal employ at the moment.

most I've dropped for about fifty for an ECM Arvo Part (Tabula Rasa) in a Ludlow record shop. Probably could have internetted for less but it was in my hands and very sexy.

Pauline Walnuts

Маша Позер's Минералы И Горные Породы

What can I say.

JohnnyCouncil

For me it's Feeder, Swim EP, Polythene and Yesterday Went to Soon. It's the sound of my mid-Teen years and whilst I've long since moved on in tastes these records will always take me back to those times.

Also Elastica The Menace, a fantastic record that has got better over time. However, it was a flop and the band hate it so can't see that happening.

buzby

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 01, 2021, 11:45:01 AM
Substance by New Order. Love it, but 300 squid, second hand? Don't like it that much. Possibly
A atandard second pressing (without he embossed lettering on the sleeve) goes for nowhere near that much - maybe about £40-£50 for a VG+ copy. Be warned though, apart from the very first pressings, a lot of copies were never that good (I bought a second pressing back in the late 80s from HMV and had to take it back to be exchanged twice as at least one of the discs was rippled or warped). The sound quality was never that great on them either as they were in the era where very thin pressings were being used.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 01, 2021, 01:11:01 PM
would love an original press of Effigy of the Forgotten or Realm of Chaos. Thing is they didn't even make that many of them at the time. Especially when we're talking 1991.

I think Dragon Records in Belfast had an original blue-lads press of Realm of Chaos for a while, but I may have misremembered it. The FDR press with the red-lads artwork sounds absolutely amazing though.

Speaking of Suffocation, too, Pierced From Within isn't in print on any format, or at least it wasn't last time I checked. What? I can't even buy fucking Pierced From Within on CD?! World's away to shite.

Custard

Thanks for that, buzby. I've downloaded the Discogs app, so will keep an eye out

Just thought of another for me - the first Pipettes album. If ever a modern record was meant to be owned and listened to on vinyl, it'd be that one

idunnosomename

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 01, 2021, 03:01:57 PM
I think Dragon Records in Belfast had an original blue-lads press of Realm of Chaos for a while, but I may have misremembered it. The FDR press with the red-lads artwork sounds absolutely amazing though.

Speaking of Suffocation, too, Pierced From Within isn't in print on any format, or at least it wasn't last time I checked. What? I can't even buy fucking Pierced From Within on CD?! World's away to shite.
Seems Pierced didn't come out on vinyl originally, so it'd all be recent presses.

Saw War Master in Afflecks Palace couple of years ago. Most expensive thing on the wall afaik (£80 or summat)

SteveDave

"Love Kraft" by Super Furry Animals but it's too rich for my tastes so until it's reissued (hmmm) I'll just have to listen to it on my iPod.

Other albums on the list on my phone-

"Rainbow Takeaway"- Kevin Ayers
"The Holy Mackerel"- The Holy Mackerel
"Diaper Island"- Chad VanGaalen
"Marquee Moon"- Television
"Vampire Weekend"- Vampire Weekend
"Be The Void"- Dr Dog

sutin

A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window by Cardiacs, which is my favourite Cardiacs album. They're reissued most of their catalogue on vinyl in recent years but not yet that one.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 01, 2021, 12:11:31 PM
Thinking Fellers Union Local #282d but still not able to pull the trigger.
I think I gave my TFUL 282 vinyl to Serge before I moved, along with about half my collection. Triggered by your mentioning their name, I popped "Wormed By Leonard" on Youtube and it's still chuffing excellent. "Hell Rules" is such a great song.

Head Gardener

Quote from: SteveDave on April 01, 2021, 03:16:52 PM

Other albums on the list on my phone-

"Marquee Moon"- Television

first pressings of this do indeed have quotation marks on the cover all later issues don't

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 01, 2021, 12:02:04 PM

Fingers crossed.

I remember seeing a copy for sale at Westminster Record Fair circa mid-1990s. I had the track 'Rape' on a DJ comp and always wanted to hear the rest of the album. I wasn't prepared to pay £80 for that pleasure though. Eventually got the Rev-Ola CD just before McGee pulled it.

PaulTMA

Melt by Peter Gabriel, backed by Boredoms and Morrissey's backing band "The Lads"

chveik

'we spit on their graves' by forum favourite SUTCLIFFE JUGEND

daf

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 01, 2021, 09:47:56 PM
Eventually got the Rev-Ola CD just before McGee pulled it.

Not sure McGee got as far as releasing it, did he? The CD I have (with the new title 'When sex leers its inquisitive head') was issued on the R.P.M. label.

QuoteWhen, in the 1990's, it was decided that the time was ripe to re-issue the record, the various labels found to their dismay that it'd become mired in contractual complications, so R.P.M. alone certainly couldn't have found the resources to free it up. Indeed, the title was scheduled to appear on Creation's re-issue label, Rev-Ola in 1997, until the powers that be at the label (in the form of CEO, Alan McGee) said "No way!", and R.P.M. were able to offer it a more suitable home.

Here's some reports of plans for a re-issue from Wyngarde's 'the Hellfire Club' fan magazine :
QuoteWinter 1994: Rumour has it that Creation Records are planning to re-release PETER's wonderful self-titled album on compact disc in the near future, via their Rev-Ola label.
- - - - - - - - -
Summer 1995: Creation Records tell us that the reason for the delay in releasing PETER's self-titled album on CD as hoped, is down to their inability to track down his original contract with EMI.
- - - - - - - - -
Winter 1996: Following Creation's failed attempt to re-issue PETER's self-titled album on CD back in 1994, Island Records are now showing a keen interest in putting the recording back on the market. At the time of writing, Island's Bernard McMahon is having discussions with PETER regarding the missing part of his original contract with RCA which, as many of you may remember reading in earlier issues of this magazine, was one of the reasons behind Creation's failure to re-issue the album originally
- - - - - - - - -
Spring 1997: After what has seemed like an eternity in the making, Creation Records have finally named the day for the release of PETER's album on CD as Monday, 12th May, 1997. At the time of going to print, Creation were negotiating with PETER in regard to his taking part in a signing session at one of London's leading record stores, but as yet, nothing has been confirmed.
- - - - - - - - -
Summer 1997: After almost five years of battling it out with EMI for the right to re-issue PETER's album on CD, London-based Creation Records have decided NOT to release the LP after all! Although Creation have not as yet bothered to let us in on the 'official' reason behind their suddenly getting cold feet, their reasoning appears to be based on a press leak which suggested that many newspapers and magazines might slate the album because they felt that the track, 'Rape', might now be considered "politically incorrect'. As a result of Creation's decision, a number of interviews between PETER and various music-related publications – including Melody Maker, had to be cancelled during the latter part of April.
- - - - - - - - -
Winter 1997: According to a letter that I received on Friday, October 25th, (1997) Creation Records appear to have had a change of heart concerning the re-issue of PETER's LP on CD. This appears to have a lot to do with the fact that they've finally secured the licence to "immediately" release the recording – pipping RCA themselves to the post. However, in spite of an initial invitation to all members of the Hellfire Club to attend the launch party in London prior to release, I am yet to receive confirmation of a date, time or venue.
- - - - - - - - -
Spring 1998: Having recently released the highly successful collection of recordings from the BBC archives, which included Sandie Shaw's 'Live in the 80's', and Ian Gillan's 'The BBC Sessions', R.P.M Records have indicated that they may now be interested in taking over where Creation/Rev-Ola left off last year, and re-issue PETER's album on CD. Although nothing has as yet been confirmed, rumours are circulating that there could be a "late Spring" release.
- - - - - - - - -
Autumn 1998: Early indications are that PETER's new CD is selling extremely well. The Virgin Megastore in London's Oxford Street announced sales upwards of 25 units during its first week of release, and the HMV shop – also in Oxford Street, displayed posters and a standee to promote it.
https://peterwyngarde.wordpress.com/2016/06/23/the-album/

sardines

I have slight regret that I was not a bigger Fall fan when I first started buying vinyl 20+ years ago. I'd have picked up the key parts of their back catalogue at record fairs for about the price of a battered Hex Induction Hour these days.

My Discogs wantlist has some curiosities which I doubt I'll ever see let alone afford - early Bill Fay, some Flying Nun releases, David Sylvian's 'Blemish' and a Burt Bacharach cover album by a Jim O'Rourke supergroup which I've decided I'll only ever listen to if I have a vinyl copy.

kalowski

Tom Waits - Bone Machine.
Seems impossible to find for under £100.

BlodwynPig

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: daf on April 02, 2021, 08:58:39 AM
Not sure McGee got as far as releasing it, did he? The CD I have (with the new title 'When sex leers its inquisitive head') was issued on the R.P.M. label.

Ah yeah, my mistake. I meant RPM not Rev-Ola.

holyzombiejesus

Just ran my fingers over my copy of Substance. Embossed! Slight 1cm seam split and small yellow price sticker that may leave a mark when removed. Solid VG+ condition. Not sure where the talk of £300+ comes from though, looks more like about £70. Still, it'll be going on Discogs along with my shitty Plain MBV reissues tonight.