Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:57:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Albums you really want on vinyl

Started by Custard, April 01, 2021, 11:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Thanks to Discogs, I've just lobbed 38 squids at someone for the Pipettes record

#Bankrupt

Dirty Boy

Any of the later Husker Du albums, especially Warehouse. Warner Bros really fucked up the mastering on the cd's so it sounds like a dry turd wrapped in a grey flannel (even if the tunes are storming). Great if you like Mould overload, less so if you want any semblance of Grant and Greg.

Quote from: sutin on April 01, 2021, 03:31:37 PM
A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window by Cardiacs, which is my favourite Cardiacs album. They're reissued most of their catalogue on vinyl in recent years but not yet that one.
I'd love to know what Sing To God sounds like on waxy disc. I think the vinyl mix of Heaven Born And Ever Bright is more spacious and less in the red than the later tinnitus mix Tim did for the 1995 release, i'm not sure what he was thinking there.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 02, 2021, 05:37:50 PM
Thanks to Discogs, I've just lobbed 38 squids at someone for the Pipettes record

#Bankrupt

68 quid for a signed Pink Fairies album (Never Never Land). Idiot (despite it being in my top 5 albums).

Absorb the anus burn

holyzombiejesus

I've got all the Jonathan Richman albums that were issued on vinyl  except for this one. It's annoying as it's one of his later ones and I'm surprised I didn't pick it up at the time, and it's around £100 now. JR's an awkward bugger who doesn't really let or get his old records reissued often so I'm going to have to take the plunge on this at some stage.

There are loads of records I'm after although mostly on 7". I'd quite like some of the Lee Hazlewood 70s albums although I don't think I'd listen to them very often as they're probably pretty terrible. He did a single with some Swedish children in the early 70s - (Let's Take A Walk) Down Valhallavägen -  which I really want but that's over £100. Couple of albums by Flying Nun band The Bats which go for over £100 would be nice but again it's for completist reasons rather than an urge to hear them. Most of my Discogs wantlist is about gap-filling rather than wanting to buy a record to play.

Would really like the Patio 10" by Gorkys. I used to work in a second hand record shop and my klutz of a colleague put one out on the racks for about £5.99 and just as I was going out on to the shopfloor to retrieve it, a customer picked it up. Think that'll be well over £100 now.

Otherwise, dream of finding a Summer Smash or Buba & The Shop Assistants 7" in some charity shop but doubt it will ever happen.

Custard

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 02, 2021, 07:27:24 PM
68 quid for a signed Pink Fairies album (Never Never Land). Idiot (despite it being in my top 5 albums).

Oof! That must have hurt

I considered shelling out around that for the second Supergrass album earlier, but I just couldn't go through with it

Yet

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 02, 2021, 10:41:15 PM
Oof! That must have hurt

I considered shelling out around that for the second Supergrass album earlier, but I just couldn't go through with it

Yet

Reckless on bandcamp Friday.

holyzombiejesus

I'm sure that stuff like the 2nd Supergrass album will get a vinyl reissue sooner rather than later.

jobotic

Quote from: Dirty Boy on April 02, 2021, 05:56:32 PM
Any of the later Husker Du albums, especially Warehouse. Warner Bros really fucked up the mastering on the cd's so it sounds like a dry turd wrapped in a grey flannel (even if the tunes are storming). Great if you like Mould overload, less so if you want any semblance of Grant and Greg.

I got excited then thinking it must be worth lots but it isn't is it?

sutin

Quote from: Dirty Boy on April 02, 2021, 05:56:32 PM
I'd love to know what Sing To God sounds like on waxy disc. I think the vinyl mix of Heaven Born And Ever Bright is more spacious and less in the red than the later tinnitus mix Tim did for the 1995 release, i'm not sure what he was thinking there.

The double vinyl of Sing To God is available from the Cardiacs website. It sounds good to me!

SpiderChrist

Fatima Mansions - Lost In The Former West

Copy appeared on Discogs a week or so ago but vanished pretty quickly.

Pauline Walnuts

That was the pretty much the last album I bought during the beautiful gap in the lockdowns.

I preferred the American CD running order, it seemed to be more brutal, in a good way. Maybe it's because Go Home Bible Mike is a better song than Sunken Cities. Dunno.

Custard

Yeah, liking Discogs a lot, but it might end me.

Just ordered Beach Boys' Sunflower for 20 squids. If it arrives in mint condition like it says, I might do a first pump

Dirty Boy

Quote from: jobotic on April 02, 2021, 10:50:20 PM
I got excited then thinking it must be worth lots but it isn't is it?
No idea sorry. Warehouse isn't too bad sounding actually, it's New Day Rising that sounds terrible.

Quote from: sutin on April 03, 2021, 01:22:14 AM
The double vinyl of Sing To God is available from the Cardiacs website. It sounds good to me!
I know. I don't have a record player.

Should have said that up front innit?

#Bankrupt

I don't want to ruin your morning, but Kingbee Records have got an EX- copy in for £20: http://www.kingbeerecords.co.uk/kingbee_records_indie-alternative.htm

Bookmark that page! You'll often find some reasonably priced gems on there. He usually goes cheaper than Discogs and always has interesting stock.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 01, 2021, 11:45:01 AM
Super Furry Animals' Rings Around The World. I have the first three albums, so this would be the final installment of their imperial phase, for me

Don't be tempted to pay silly money for the original (it last sold on Discogs for £215) - it wasn't mastered properly for vinyl so apparently sounds shit. Just wait for the remaster which I believe is slightly delayed due to the pandemic but should be out in the next 12 months.

Love Kraft is my most treasured record. It was one of the first albums I bought on vinyl - it cost me about £13 on release day and is worth ten times that now. More importantly, it sounds lush and that artwork looks gorgeous.

If you're new to buying records, this Twitter account will tell you when independent stores have a sale on: https://twitter.com/cheapindievinyl

Brundle-Fly

1970 moody classical jazz album. Not commercially available.  £43 before PXP on Discogs.

Naa, I'll make do with my mate's mp3 rip of it for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy1OV39A7aY

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on April 02, 2021, 07:43:59 PM
£300+ on Discogs.

That's lovely. Stick some digital beats over it and you'd have an Orb album.

Custard

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 03, 2021, 10:37:06 AM
That's lovely. Stick some digital beats over it and you'd have an Orb album.

Yep, it's beautiful and I'm slightly besotted with it to be honest... Obviously Berlin School in style, but uniquely Scandinavian.

The title is a pun on Tussilago Farfara which we call Coltsfoot, a tough-as-fuck plant that appears in the far north marking the end of winter. The title and photomontage cover are such appropriate images for a chilly, occasionally alienating work that is actually brimming with the possibility of a warm summer embrace.

No CD or vinyl reissue from Silence Records.[nb]Not sure if it's true, but I was told one of the Anna Sjalv Tredje duo entered an austere religious order and wants nothing to do with his musical past.[/nb]

But, hey £300 (£500 for a really good copy)... I can't justify or afford that money.

Brundle-Fly

The sleeve is also spectacular. You would display that on a shelf as a picture.

Custard

I was gonna say Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, but I saw just last night that there's a Spiritualized reissue campaign, starting later this month with Pure Phase!

Brundle-Fly

Actually, I'd love all the Stereolab catalogue on heavy black discs. I've only got Emporer Tomato Ketchup on yellow vinyl; currently going for £80 nicker on Disgusts.

holyzombiejesus

They were all reissued on black vinyl over the last 12 months or so, about £24 each.

Brundle-Fly

Oo, bit pricey but nice one. Thanks HZJ.

kalowski

There's a vinyl of Tom Waits' The Black Rider on eBay. Probably an unofficial release as the original is rare as fuck, but I can see myself putting a bid in anyway. I will never find an original copy.

SteveDave

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on April 03, 2021, 09:59:50 AM
Love Kraft is my most treasured record. It was one of the first albums I bought on vinyl - it cost me about £13 on release day and is worth ten times that now. More importantly, it sounds lush and that artwork looks gorgeous.

I'll give you £26. That's double what you paid for it. Take it or leave it. Buyers market. The customer is always right.

Sebastian Cobb

My most treasured is lucinda slim's self-titled and self-released album. I missed the crowd funder and got my name on a repress list as I watched the prices slowly go up, I  got someone to get it as a birthdayppresent when it was about 80 quid,which isn't eye-watering but more thaniI would have spent on myself. Which is what presents are for innit?

badaids

Quote from: SteveDave on April 07, 2021, 03:10:07 PM
I'll give you £26. That's double what you paid for it. Take it or leave it. Buyers market. The customer is always right.

My copy of Love Kraft sits on my shelf unopened and unplayed. It's one of those records I got at the time and then never got round to touching. I was also worried that it might be shit (or at least a massive drop off on their records) and  didn't want to feel that way about them.

SteveDave

Quote from: badaids on April 07, 2021, 03:23:04 PM
My copy of Love Kraft sits on my shelf unopened and unplayed. It's one of those records I got at the time and then never got round to touching. I was also worried that it might be shit (or at least a massive drop off on their records) and  didn't want to feel that way about them.

It's my favourite of theirs. I only heard for the first time last year and it blew my mind. If it's unopened it's probably worth more than Wayman's. So £25. Final offer.

SteveDave

#Bankrupt

This is being reissued for Record Shop Day this year I've just learned.