Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Eurovision 2021

Started by Famous Mortimer, April 01, 2021, 09:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

All the songs, handily packaged into 14 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6FU4wPI-ng

I hope Iceland win, even though this year's isn't as good / instantly catchy as "Think About Things". Russia haven't bothered paying Little Big to do it twice in a row; one of the countries has entered Reef soundalikes; one of them is some half-assed nu-metal thing; and there are lots and lots of songs that sound the same. My non-Iceland pick would be France, which doesn't stand a chance.

What think you, fellow Eurovision enthusiasts?

Jollity

I think it's quite a good year for songs this year. There's none I really have any especial ill-feeling towards (although I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to some of them again, but I'm not annoyed at them like I was with a couple from last year).

The favourite to win is currently Malta which would be nice for them as they've never won before. Plus, I think Destiny is a very good singer and she's still very young, so hopefully this'll be good news for her. But I do also really like the Italian and Dutch entries, as well as the Norwegian entry (I know it's cheese, but it makes me smile - though I think that might be the stage show as much as the song) and the Serbian entry (which is also not exactly high art, but we're not in the business of being snobby here in the Eurovision thread). And I do like the Swiss entry, which may get points from the juries for being Proper Music, and perhaps I'm old and boring for liking it, but it's predicted to do well. Oh, and the Lithuanian entry, which I don't quite like as much as their entry from last year, but I hope it goes top five (Lithuania has never been higher than sixth place before)

And the UK entry is fine, better than a lot we've sent before, though I think I slightly prefer his 2020 entry.

Also: is this the first time Portugal has sent a song entirely in English?

greencalx

Are they actually having a contest this year? I found last year was so miserable we all ended up depressed at the end of the night.

Jollity

They are having a contest, but we don't know if there will be an audience allowed, and I think some of the contestants might be performing over video link or even using pre-recorded performances.

The Mollusk

Until this thing returns to the full format, with audience going batshit for every song and the dismal hosts cracking dismal jokes and all of it happening under one roof, then I just don't think I can watch it. I do objectively enjoy the competition and the music but I can't deny that the atmosphere is such a huge part of it for me. I always get together with friends and have a party to watch the final. It's too weird to imagine it without all that.

greencalx

Having each act perform from its own country would actually be in the spirit of the original contest, which was essentially an exercise in a multinational simultaneous live broadcast with a song contest added as an afterthought.

Mr_Simnock

So will we get 10 points plus this time around? Might slap a tenner on us not doing.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 01, 2021, 09:40:20 PM
All the songs, handily packaged into 14 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6FU4wPI-ng

I hope Iceland win, even though this year's isn't as good / instantly catchy as "Think About Things". Russia haven't bothered paying Little Big to do it twice in a row; one of the countries has entered Reef soundalikes; one of them is some half-assed nu-metal thing; and there are lots and lots of songs that sound the same. My non-Iceland pick would be France, which doesn't stand a chance.

What think you, fellow Eurovision enthusiasts?

Hope the Netherlands or Belgium win, my preferred tunes out of that lot by some margin.

Famous Mortimer

I remember Hooverphonic from their "Mad About You" days (I had German MTV and became fairly familiar with Euro-indie for a while) so I'd be cool with them winning too (although, again, I don't think it's as good as last year's entry).

Britain's entry ought to be solid mid-table mediocrity, but apart from when Lena won for Germany, I am batting a .000 for predicting Eurovision winners, or even people who'll do quite well.

Captain Z

Songs I like (thus guaranteed to be bottom 10):

Azerbaijan: Efendi - Mata Hari
Belgium: Hooverphonic - The Wrong Place Strong 90s vibes, but I don't think we're close enough to peak 90s nostalgia for this to count in its favour
Israel: Eden Alene - Set Me Free Someone's been listening to Dua Lipa
San Marino: Senhit - Adrenalina

Tips For The Top (thus nailed-on mid table):

Denmark: Fyr & Flamme - Øve Os På Hinanden This sounds like exactly the kind of song that has me growling "fuckin' WHAT?" when it's in the top three towards the end of the voting. Has already been released and went to #1 in Denmark.
Iceland: Daði og Gagnamagnið - Gjet Ljuckij 10 Years Sound of the summer
Malta: Destiny - Je Me Casse
Poland: Rafal - The Ride Someone's been listening to The Weeknd

None of the big countries seem to be trying, especially France. The UK song might be the best of them, and the best we've submitted for a while. Might just improve on our 2019 result (dead last).

And to prove I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, the current most-watched of the entries are:

1. Manizha - Russian Women (Russia) 7.1M views
2. Hurricane - Loco Loco (Serbia) 6.9M views
3. Destiny - Je Me Casse (Malta) 3M views
4. Efendi - Mata Hari (Azerbaijan) 2.8M views
5. Go_A - Shum (Ukraine) 2.4M views (A hospitalised Trinity from The Matrix's fever dream)

Mr_Simnock

I was listening to 'Your Wondering Now' last night and thought about why we just don't send a Reggae/Ska act one year.

imitationleather

Oh bloody hell, I assumed this thread meant it was on this Saturday.

Just checked and it's still like six weeks away!

Mr_Simnock

only 1 week to go this mental crazy 'competition'

DrGreggles

My theory is that Iceland will win, as they're owed it after last year's cancellation.
Backed it at 40/1, now it's 9/1!
Haven't heard the song though.

DrGreggles

Hooverphonic are back with their "classic" line-up!  I was a big fan of theirs during Blue Wonder Power Milk and The Magnificent Tree era, but this song doesn't have the kind of hook that I'm used to from them.  It's still one of the best in the competition though.  The UK entry is awful.

daf

01 | Lithuania    :  The Roop - "Discoteque"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[I've linked the official video in the country's name & Semi Final performance in the band name]

daf

daf

daf

04 | Sweden    : Tusse - "Voices"

daf

daf

daf

daf

daf

09 | Norway    :  TIX - "Fallen Angel"

daf

daf