Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:52:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Eurovision 2021

Started by Famous Mortimer, April 01, 2021, 09:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

I watched 'Eurovision at 60' last Friday and there were several hints from the talking heads, including Tezza Wogan, there was already problems with trying to get anyone to actually go for Eurovision for the UK since at least the early 1980's. Somehow we have to get better artists involved, I think it's the biggest stumbling block, but then again I can't think of any benefits to an already established artist who already has a good career going to do it, it gives them nothing, why bother. I wonder if it's the same with producers or songwriters? Are they shunning it too behind the scenes? Just look at our entrants and efforts in the last few years of selecting our song, I think it's being done only when someone is unknown or desperate (both probably).

DrGreggles

Having your song played to a few hundred million people can't be a bad thing though.
Particularly if it's not dogshit.

I think it's more down to a lack of effort and poor organisation on the UK's part.

Mr_Simnock

Picture this DrGreggles, it's 2070, your very old, being kept alive by an advanced robo-bed in your house. Channel 5 have come to interview you, you know what's going to happen, it's been going on for almost 50 years now. 'They want to talk to you about the time you lost to San Marino at Eurovision in 2022, you know the daft act that sang just one word that came second to last' says your carer, you reach for the off switch of the machine keeping you alive but it's just a few inches out of reach. If it's not tv its what's left of the print press or some crap intrenet 'entertainment' site that wants this, that's been your life, that bloke who came last to shite 50 years ago.

Rizla

We should go back to the tactic of decent song, massively cigs performance. We may not win but we'll get telly gold like this.

"Let me be the one who's lurmey holds you tight - I knew it!". Class.

Captain Z

We should send Cliff every year to make them suffer. Eventually they will vote for us just to make it stop.

Jollity

I believe James Blunt and Paloma Faith have both said they would be up for doing Eurovision. I mean, James Blunt gets enough stick already, he's used to it.

Norton Canes

Did no one here like Italy, really? I thought it was great. The singer's promise that after being accused of taking cocaine he would "get tasted" is an all-time great Malapropism.

jobotic

I find Paloma Faith unbearable but reckon she's just right for the job. They'll love it.

daf

Sod these X Factor drips - get the Go Team or Mark Ronson on board to Funk that shit up!

Norton Canes

Right I'm no Eurovision expert but, would it not be a good idea for us to have a song that went like

"So sorry, baby, so sorry I left you!
I know I was wrong and I'll be back soon!
I made a mistake, I should have stayed!
The worst mistake I ever made!"

Or something

Norton Canes

Yeah reckon I've cracked it there.

Jollity

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 24, 2021, 03:48:28 PM
Did no one here like Italy, really? I thought it was great. The singer's promise that after being accused of taking cocaine he would "get tasted" is an all-time great Malapropism.

I liked the Italian entry a lot. I thought all the entries were at the very least inoffensive. I don't really get angry about music like the rest of you guys seem to, though. I haven't the energy.

daf

Todd in the Shadows - EUROVISION SONG CONTEST Podcast

QuoteTodd introduces Lina to the wild and wacky world of Eurovision! We cover it all, from the grand triump of Italy ot the grand tragedy of Iceland to the random appearance of Flo Rida to the brutal embarrassment of the UK! Haven't the British suffered enough? (Apparently not.)

Captain Z

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 24, 2021, 04:08:03 PM
Right I'm no Eurovision expert but, would it not be a good idea for us to have a song that went like

"So sorry, baby, so sorry I left you!
I know I was wrong and I'll be back soon!
I made a mistake, I should have stayed!
The worst mistake I ever made!"

Or something

Not a million miles away from the Eurovision song "created by AI":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MKAf6YX_7M

chveik

Quote from: Jollity on May 24, 2021, 05:17:42 PM
I liked the Italian entry a lot. I thought all the entries were at the very least inoffensive. I don't really get angry about music like the rest of you guys seem to, though. I haven't the energy.

it's just fun to play being mad at inconsequential stuff

jobotic

All year round I couldn't give  shit about Eurovision, don't watch semis or whatever Song for Europe is now and had never heard any of the songs before the big night. But I felt properly angry that Italy won. Looking back it's hard to feel that passion about it now.

Kankurette

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 24, 2021, 03:48:28 PM
I did! And Paloma Faith would be perfect for Eurovision.

sevendaughters

15 years ago I would have rooted for Italy as a rock reactionary. Now I am just lightly bemused by their win in the face of some better, more heartfelt, and cleverer songs. But I'm never actually properly arsed about something winning that I don't like, and it wasn't terrible, just a bit whatever.

Cuellar

mothman

I don't know if there's anything to be learnt from Italy's not competing between 1997 and 2011, but the results since are striking:

QuoteItaly's return to the contest after a 14-year absence has been successful, finishing in the top ten in eight of the last ten contests (2011–2021).

bomb_dog

Italian singer cleared of taking drugs. I can only conclude he was so drunk that he missed the sniff and when his band mate nudged him, he didn't go back for a second try.

Jockice

Quote from: Captain Z on May 23, 2021, 04:28:18 PM
Some balls to deny any drug taking in the face of that video clip.

Read that at the exact second BBC Breakfast said his test was negative!

Uncle TechTip

I thought everyone was joking. In the clip you see him clench his fist in an exultation of joy. Also don't you press your nose when huffing a line of drugs. What a world it comes to when a bunch of bastard social media users make a shitpost and it's taken as real.