Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:28:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg (debut album)

Started by Retinend, April 02, 2021, 12:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Yeah I've got middle class mates who recently inherited three properties in Margate and they're the loveliest most salt of the earth people you could ever wish to meet, that sort of argument is fuckin stupid, just creates more of an ugly class divide than their ought to be in the public mindset.

Retinend

Shaw's generic "singing" voice (different to how she speaks in interview - which is, yes, rather posh) first struck me as a soft Mancunian accent (and I hale from around there). She doesn't pronounce "oven chips" in the typical southern way, for example.

I do lament that this album hasn't gone down well on CaB. I normally agree with you all but here I suppose I am alone. I think it's a really good album - I would give it 3.5 headscabs out of five. I've heard it half a dozen times now, and I'm not bored yet: in fact I like it more now than when I first heard it. But I won't derail the thread by saying why.

good times

Quote from: Retinend on April 20, 2021, 12:31:43 PM
Shaw's generic "singing" voice (different to how she speaks in interview - which is, yes, rather posh) first struck me as a soft Mancunian accent (and I hale from around there). She doesn't pronounce "oven chips" in the typical southern way, for example.

I do lament that this album hasn't gone down well on CaB. I normally agree with you all but here I suppose I am alone. I think it's a really good album - I would give it 3.5 headscabs out of five. I've heard it half a dozen times now, and I'm not bored yet: in fact I like it more now than when I first heard it. But I won't derail the thread by saying why.

Yeah I thought the same about her voice, heard it as 'theatrical northern' (I've just made this term up)

Also agree on the album and the band in general, they're a decent band, I like what they're doing. I don't know how long a shelf life they will have, given that their sound is so distinct (and potentially prone to becoming grating), but they've got one good album out of it at least.

buzby

I've brielfy chatted to Ms. Shaw in person (while she was manning the merch stall at a gig) and she didn't sound that posh (and I'm Liverpool council estate scum).  It reminded me a bit of a female Will Self voice. She sounded how you would expect someone who had studied at the RCA to sound, if you catch my drift. I'm not sure I'd class her singing voice as 'northern' either, I don't think it's got any recognisable accent. You have to remember a lot of her lyrics come from overheard conversations, so she may reproduce the inflections of the people she heard say them.

I think it's great. And I don't think this will change anybody's mind, but it does sound pretty dreadful on your streaming services. Whereas the vinyl (and presumably CD and lossless formats) has an expansive soundstage that brings the music to life and creates a much better connection between the band and the vocals.

I'd almost be disappointed if they weren't posh. They met at art school, didn't they? Of course they're posh. I actually think sound more like a Britpop band than the post-punk acts everyone is comparing them to. They're much more Blur than The Fall.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: The Mollusk on April 20, 2021, 12:17:18 PM
just creates more of an ugly class divide than their ought to be in the public mindset.

probably horrific inequality that does this more than opinions about records

The Mollusk

Aye but what I'm saying is that these sort of blinkered sweeping statements definitely don't help to patch things up and instil a wider empathy in people.

Blinder Data

I listened to this and it just made me want to listen to Life Without Buildings

PlanktonSideburns

What class are you if you are a builder who went to arschool in Newport as an old person?

imitationleather

I've decided Scratchcard Lanyard is good song now.

Thanks.

Retinend

peanutbutter

Quote from: imitationleather on May 13, 2021, 01:22:02 PM
I've decided Scratchcard Lanyard is good song now.

Thanks.
Yeah I've come around on this one too. Not totally, it's sticky in a way that annoys me afterwards, but def think it's a lot better than I did.

The Mollusk

It's certainly their best song in that you can see why it was chosen as a single - it's far more immediately gripping or compelling than most of their other tunes - but the vocals are still a drab slog which don't lift the song anywhere above the level of mediocrity that it wants to be.

purlieu

Entering a point where I'm struggling to get more than a handful of plays out of any new album I buy, this is one of only a couple of 2021 records that I'm not only able to listen to regularly, but actually want to listen to regularly. I can't explain why, exactly, but it's an album I'm just really, really enjoying putting on again and again. Which is a rare treat at this point in my life.