Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,366
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:58:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cuddly Toys

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 03, 2021, 12:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

I can't wait to see the finished bunny!

Dex Sawash

What was inside the ones that smelled like black pepper?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: mothman on April 03, 2021, 12:57:51 PM
I'm a fifty year old man and I still have my three teddies (two bears and a rabbit, all quite small).

Mark E. Smith considers rewrite.

Rizla

Attila

Quote from: Buelligan on April 03, 2021, 02:50:29 PM
Wow, this is the best toy story I ever read!  The sarcophagus concept is such an inspired one, I could hardly believe my own eyes reading it.  Marvelous, marvelous, stuff.  On the dying and what happens to the dear ones after, I'm thinking I'll likely outlive my bro (for reasons), anyway, my secret plan is to put Black Puss, his dog collars and my hair (I know, it's very long) into his box for the fire.  That's my plan.  Off to Valhalla together.

Ta! I like handwork, and I figure, it's my own stuff, so if I mess it all up, it's just my stuff and not someone else's precious memories. I was glad I had the eureka moment, because it was distressing finally getting the crumbly mess out of the toy, and seeing the toy itself disintegrate at the same time.

Mr Attila likes to watch The Repair Shop as a gentle mid-week late tea-time show, and I've always liked the segments when they work on toys and dolls. I've told him, one of these days they're going to kill one of those old dears when they see Dolly or Teddy suddenly restored after 85 years.

I like the Viking funeral plan; have honestly considered it myself!

All Mr Attila has from his cuddly toy days is his teddy bear (apparently called Harry). He lives in the bedroom -- he's in really good nick, so I think he stopped being a bed-buddy well before Mr Attila was out of single digits.

Attila

Quote from: Kankurette on April 03, 2021, 03:14:35 PM
I can't wait to see the finished bunny!

I've got a ton of marking to do, but now that we're finished with teaching this semester, I'll have time to get him sorted. I have everything I need; he's going to be stuffed with some wool I bought to spin, but it turned out to be kind of 'bleah' as a spinning fibre. So I'll run that through my picker to get it opened up and fluffy, get bunny's painted/inks heat set, and then see about assembling him. Since he will have an inner sleeve, I've written on the inner sleeve who made him and when, and why there's a strange rag at the centre of the toy -- on the off-chance anyone ever opens him up again.

The Bumlord

A bear I named John in a moment of childhood panic. Still got him, although he's a little threadbare.

I may also frequently take a cuddly Moomin to bed even though I am in my 40s. There is NOTHING wrong with it.

Back when I used to travel for work rather than lying on the sofa all day he was my constant companion. Here he is soaking up Gay Pareee:

idunnosomename

Atilla's rabbit reliquary (john updike considers rewrite) is the most wholesome thing I've read on CaB. rest of this thread too.

even when I share a bed I usually have one of my cuddly toys to sleep with. if I don't have one I tend to hug a pillow. probably stops me pinching the quilt to be honest.

ElTwopo

I had a cuddly toy called 'Babbit' which was due to little ElTwopo not being able to pronounce 'Rabbit'. Which is odd mainly because it was actually a bear.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I used to have a cuddly toy called " Bobbit", which was due to my biting its penis off during a vengeful sex session.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh yes, and Sean Purcell having previously thought " recognition at last!" leaves thread disappointed.

Erm...I think that's my last contribution to this thread.

flotemysost

I had a rather bedraggled seal pup, candyfloss pink with blue eyes, which I spotted on a stall at my school fete when I was five or six and feverishly hovered over until my mum returned from the gardening stall with the requisite 40p to secure its future with me. It slept in my bed and I got some sick on one of its flippers once when I was ill so it had to go in the washing machine, but my dickhead brother told me mum had binned it and it would be eaten by slugs, I howled for hours.

Was never really into dolls or teddy bears, for some reason. Apparently when I was very young, my paternal nan bought me a very Aryan-looking dolly, which my Asian mum found so offensive (having had to bat off a fair bit of racism and "but what will the children look like?" comments from my nan over the years) that it was swiftly consigned to Oxfam.

Absolutely no judgement for any adult who still has a cuddly toy in their bed, but I do find it a tad weird when men buy huge fluffy bears and the like for their adult female partners, as a romantic gesture akin to buying a bunch of roses or a box of Milk Tray - I mean fair play if she genuinely just likes fluffy toys, but it seems a bit infantilising, though I'm probably reading too much into it.

I used to love going to the Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green and Pollock's Toy Museum in Fitzrovia, some amazing vintage toys in both.

poo

Had a Kermit the Frog

Glebe

Quote from: poo on April 04, 2021, 11:11:35 PMHad a Kermit the Frog

I had a rubber Kermit that next door's dog chewed.

ProvanFan

I had a cheeky, squeaky monkey with velcro palms and a gaping arsehole.

mothman

ProvanFan

I'm sorry, his name was Tiny.

Blue Jam

A dog called Dogger.

More innocent times.

Brian Freeze

Had one called "Cup of tea"

It was a ragdoll my mum had made and that when she slipped it into bed I rolled over hugged ut and said "ah, cup of tea". Apparently. I was very small at the time.

I had thought dolls hospitals were invented by Enid Blyton but was pleased to find out they are real, both from Atilla and an old neighbour who chatted about using one last time we saw her.

Might go in the loft and look for my surviving one eyed teddy at some point.

Jockice

Quote from: flotemysost on April 04, 2021, 11:07:22 PM
Absolutely no judgement for any adult who still has a cuddly toy in their bed, but I do find it a tad weird when men buy huge fluffy bears and the like for their adult female partners, as a romantic gesture akin to buying a bunch of roses or a box of Milk Tray - I mean fair play if she genuinely just likes fluffy toys, but it seems a bit infantilising, though I'm probably reading too much into it.

Got to admit...look, it came as an extra with a bunch of flowers and the bear on the advert was about a quarter the size of the one delivered. And it came in very useful as an extra pillow. I presume it's still up in the bedroom. I don't go up there anymore.

Talking about toys of other ethnic groups, my sister had one that she claims was the only black doll in our (almost all-Aryan at the time) hometown in Scotland, although as she didn't know every other child in a place with a population of 20,000 I find it hard to believe she can say this with such certainty.

Still it's cemented her credentials to the point that she can tell my (Pakistani) best platonic female friend that I 'used to be really racist' when I was younger. Because I apparently made a comment about staff in a shop not being able to speak English. A comment I have absolutely no recollection of making but apparently it was sometime in my early teens. And of course boys in their early teens are the most 'woke' people on earth. Except me.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on April 05, 2021, 12:53:16 PM

Talking about toys of other ethnic groups, my sister had one that she claims was the only black doll in our (almost all-Aryan at the time) hometown in Scotland, although as she didn't know every other child in a place with a population of 20,000 I find it hard to believe she can say this with such certainty.

Still it's cemented her credentials to the point that she can tell my (Pakistani) best platonic female friend that I 'used to be really racist' when I was younger. Because I apparently made a comment about staff in a shop not being able to speak English. A comment I have absolutely no recollection of making but apparently it was sometime in my early teens. And of course boys in their early teens are the most 'woke' people on earth. Except me.

One for the 'relatives who talk bollocks' thread there.

the ouch cube

A dog, whom I still have around somewhere, called Blue Peter, on the grounds that I thought 'Blue Peter' the program was named after the dog they had on it (was actually Goldie at the time)

flotemysost

Quote from: Brian Freeze on April 05, 2021, 09:11:24 AM
Had one called "Cup of tea"

It was a ragdoll my mum had made and that when she slipped it into bed I rolled over hugged ut and said "ah, cup of tea". Apparently. I was very small at the time.

Wise beyond your years to have named it after the time-honoured tradition of rolling over in bed to find your mum's left a cup of tea on the side. (That's a very cute story, in all seriousness!)

Quote from: Jockice on April 05, 2021, 12:53:16 PM

That's interesting, I don't think I recall seeing any in my childhood in the 90s, other than golliwogs I suppose (not that they were in the shops, but I think my aforementioned nan had one, though even she knew better than to give it to me). And one of my friends had a dark-skinned Barbie, which she named Mother Teresa, based on the logic that Mother Teresa lived in India and she didn't know any Indian names.

Jockice

Quote from: flotemysost on April 05, 2021, 07:01:26 PM

That's interesting, I don't think I recall seeing any in my childhood in the 90s, other than golliwogs I suppose (not that they were in the shops, but I think my aforementioned nan had one, though even she knew better than to give it to me). And one of my friends had a dark-skinned Barbie, which she named Mother Teresa, based on the logic that Mother Teresa lived in India and she didn't know any Indian names.

I do remember the doll, so it definitely existed and as I was born in 1965 and my sis is almost eight years older than me she'd have had it in the sixties as I can remember it being in our first home, which we left when I was four.

Not sure where she got it from (although I can ask) but it was certainly very unusual for that time and place. The town had, as far as I know, one black resident, nicknamed (and sorry if this offends anyone) Sammy The Darkie. He was a popular guy. My mum said it was considered an honour for him to ask you to dance. But that nickname...

Nowadays things are different. On a visit a few years ago my cousin and I drove past two Asian blokes chatting on a street corner. He pointed them out and I was expecting him to make a racist comment (as he has in the past) but instead he just said: "You don't see that often, a Muslim talking to a Sikh." I was quite surprised that he even knew the difference between the two religions.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on April 05, 2021, 08:31:49 PM
I do remember the doll, so it definitely existed and as I was born in 1965 and my sis is almost eight years older than me she'd have had it in the sixties as I can remember it being in our first home, which we left when I was four.

Not sure where she got it from (although I can ask) but it was certainly very unusual for that time and place.

The doll was called Rosemary. My sister hasn't the slightest idea where she got it from. There certainly weren't any black members of our family in those days. There are now, but that's by the by.

Attila

I've got a new patient for my home-grown teddy bear hospital -- he's a toy frog in horrendous condition, but should be a piece of piss to restore. When my camera batteries are charged up, I'll take photos of his regeneration.

seepage

Quote from: Attila on April 15, 2021, 07:37:32 PM
When my camera batteries are charged up, I'll take photos of his regeneration.

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Attila

Quote from: seepage on April 16, 2021, 09:18:43 AM
IT'S ALIVE!!!

Lightning may be involved, yes. Stay tooned.

Jockice

Quote from: Attila on April 15, 2021, 07:37:32 PM
I've got a new patient for my home-grown teddy bear hospital -- he's a toy frog in horrendous condition, but should be a piece of piss to restore. When my camera batteries are charged up, I'll take photos of his regeneration.

I still have my little bean bag frog Freddo. Got him when I was about eight or nine. He's on the top of the bookshelves in this very room.