Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 09:11:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Amazon

Started by bgmnts, April 03, 2021, 12:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 09, 2021, 03:30:46 PM
And it's not only your own infrastructure, if you're using a third-party CDN to transcode or store your assets, or even some caching/scalability services they're probably using AWS in there somewhere.

To be honest my work were considering Azure for a while and I feared it'd close the door on using more interesting services, ones beyond basic virtual servers/containers/lambdas.

What sort of services do you think Azure lacks?

mothman

I wonder how many were genuine No votes from MAGA, Murica, universal-healthcare-is-commyounisum types...

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on April 10, 2021, 12:21:42 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/apr/09/amazon-union-vote-result-latest-news-bessemer-alabama-plant

Fucking Christ. Kill us all.

Nearly half eligible didn't vote and they won by 1,000 votes possibly 500 if challenged ballots are over turned; this is a battle that can be won in time.  Stay positive.

bgmnts

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 10, 2021, 09:51:18 PM
Nearly half eligible didn't vote and they won by 1,000 votes possibly 500 if challenged ballots are over turned; this is a battle that can be won in time.  Stay positive.

Yeah I know but either the worker voted against their own interest or the scumbag corporate entity fucked them over. Its hard to be positive I suppose.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on April 10, 2021, 09:57:21 PM
Yeah I know but either the worker voted against their own interest or the scumbag corporate entity fucked them over. Its hard to be positive I suppose.

It will take time; depends how the challenged votes fall but they could have only won by just over 500 votes......with 2800ish votes that were not cast.  Lots to work with there.

Barry Admin

QuotePlease note that the earnings in February 2021 and any credit balance from previous payment periods did not reach the minimum threshold for your payment method

Thread delivered 😅 it's fine though.

Neomod

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 04, 2021, 01:52:25 PM
Thread delivered 😅 it's fine though.

Time to give Onlyfans a go?

Naughty poster goes off topic and needs their thread splitting.mp4 - $25

Sticking my technology forum inside the TV one.mp4 - $100

Barry Admin

Quote from: Neomod on May 04, 2021, 01:58:24 PM
Time to give Onlyfans a go?

I've got size 15s, so maybe onlyfeet would be the way to go :-D

Fambo Number Mive

Amazon has been fined $41,000 for COVID safety violations at a Californian warehouse:

Quote...After a months-long inspection that began in October, investigators with the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health, or Cal/OSHA, found that LGB7, an Amazon fulfillment center in Rialto, didn't implement adequate physical distancing, face coverings and physical barriers such as plexiglass screens that would help block infectious particles.

The citation, issued Monday, also says Amazon failed to record 217 COVID-19 infections among employees from April to October 2020. State occupational health and safety laws require employers to document all workplace illnesses and injuries in a record called Log 300 that is supposed to be available to workers on request...

Cal/OSHA had cited Amazon in October for coronavirus safety violations at a delivery center in Hawthorne and a fulfillment center in Eastvale after employees called for a state investigation into their working conditions as the coronavirus began to spread among workers last spring. Those penalties, totaling $1,870, were much smaller than the $41,000 fine being levied for the reported shortcomings at the Rialto facility...

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-05-04/amazon-warehouse-rialto-fined-covid-safety-violations

The fine is pretty small for such a giant company.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea is that less than a days profit in a factory?

Butchers Blind

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1406887601647370240?s=19

Imagine being that huge a company that you can just chuck that amount of stuff in the bin without incurring a loss.

Sebastian Cobb

They practically give away lots of it too. If you look on Youtube for 'amazon mystery' there's loads of people buying up pallet loads of returned stuff and sifting through it.

I imagine a lot of it is getting chucked out / binned because it's not amazon losing out, and the loss is baked into the deals with the merchants.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 21, 2021, 11:20:48 AM
https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1406887601647370240?s=19

Imagine being that huge a company that you can just chuck that amount of stuff in the bin without incurring a loss.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 21, 2021, 12:06:07 PM
They practically give away lots of it too. If you look on Youtube for 'amazon mystery' there's loads of people buying up pallet loads of returned stuff and sifting through it.

I imagine a lot of it is getting chucked out / binned because it's not amazon losing out, and the loss is baked into the deals with the merchants.

Without wishing to defend Amazon, pretty much EVERY single large business that sells "stuff", at least in developed countries, does exactly the same.  A mate works for Currys/PC World (who are constantly on the verge of bankruptcy/being bought by someone else/being merged with another company) and even they bin and gift (to charities/hospitals etc) tons of stuff every year without making a penny on it - TVs, laptops, white goods etc etc. 

greencalx

I guess you can give it away for nothing, or spend money on having it properly recycled or otherwise accounted for....

dannyfc

I work for one of the major food retailers, and some of the minimum buy quantity on products are big enough that a % is always wasted as we won't sell it all before the expiry date.

Supplier won't budge on their minimum production run as it's less cost efficient, buyer won't negotiate a smaller run as it hits his cost margin, so every buy we knowingly transport loads of stock to sit in the warehouse for 12 months before paying for disposal/charity. Pallets of stock that has been sourced, produced, packaged, shipped, and stored, when the final destination is inevitably a landfill.

There's clearly better solution for everyone involved there but no-one can be arsed as the effort outweighs the relative cost-saving of doing so.

bgmnts

Amazon are pure dystopia fiction arent they? No matter how many stories come out about how scum they are, it is just too bit a monolith to even protest against. It's like Welland Yutani or OCP.