Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

This one passed me by, but it looks like they've had a bit of a shake-up with the weekend schedule. The main takeaways are Kershaw and Robinson are GONE to be replaced with Jamz Supernova and The Blessed Madonna.

https://www.musicweek.com/media/read/bbc-6-music-recruits-jamz-supernova-as-liz-kershaw-s-saturday-show-ends-after-17-years/082837

I've had the Jamz show on for about half an hour (missed the first 1/2) and it's been quite good so fair, a bit of modern rnb/jazz crossover stuff, some rap and a featurette with someone called Connie Constance who seems interesting enough to check out. Certainly a lot fresher than Kershaw reminiscing about the indie scene from 30+ years ago. And probably a better lead-up to Gilles Peterson's show if you're in to that as well.

I quite liked Robinson, I know quite a few didn't but he could get interesting guests in, especially when they were there for a good portion of the 3 hours.

Also St Vincent has a small series.

Pink Gregory

Fleece dads are gonna lose their shit but this seems like a positive step for 6music to avoid wallowing.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah it seems a good move, make it fresher and more diverse and interesting at the same time.

They just did the bit where they get the next dj on to promote the show, which just ended up in Peterson being really nice and supportive and saying he'd been listening from the start and really enjoying it in a sincere way.

Pauline Walnuts

Good lord, when you said Kershaw, I thought you meant...

Err. never mind

Hat Flipping incoming news: Liz Kershaw is older than Andy Kershaw!

Chicory

I'm overjoyed that utter turd Kershaw has gone. Never mind her obvious nastiness, she wasn't even good at her job. Constantly getting things wrong, zero rapport with her phone-ins, awkward pauses everywhere.

The station as a whole is steadily getting better. The recent 'pop day' was a joy and even grumpy bollocks Keaveny sounded like he was having a ball. Almost as if everyone had momentarily unclenched their buttocks, quit the Pitchforky posturing and remembered that music can be brilliant, unadulterated fun.

Jockice

I never listen to Kershaw anyway. 1-3 on Saturdays is Pick Of The Pops time. Don't mind Robinson though.

earl_sleek

Hated Kershaw, so that's great. Now they just need to change the breakfast presenter and I'll be happy (I like Lauren Lavern and think she's a good broadcaster, but she doesn't suit the breakfast slot).

Malcy

Caught a bit of Jamz and bounced round the kitchen to a bit of DnB while making a munch. Only really listening to Huey Morgan these days.

Phil_A

Christ, I thought Liz Kershaw would never go. She's clung on to that slot like a limpet for goodness knows how many years, I was listening to some Adam & Joes from when they started on 6 in 2007 and on the first one they did a very embarrassing handover to Kershaw's show where she comes across like she wanted to bone the pair of them("You've both given me so much pleasure over the years"). I think very wisely they never did that again.

But she's still not completely gone as they've given her a new Sunday slot for four weeks. Hopefully after that she'll be packed off to a graveyard slot somewhere, preferably on another station. I actually thought they might've used the lockdown as an excuse to finally bin her off as she disappeared off the air for a while.

Chicory

Her and Steve 'Steve Wright In The Afternoon' Wright have definitely found some very dodgy BBC laptops.

It would be good if they got rid of Steve Lamacq.

mobias

Does anyone here like the current daytime weekday schedule? I find Shaun Keaveny utterly annoying in the afternoon and I don't really have much time for Mary Ann Hobbs anymore either. We have 6 music on all day at work and Mary Anne Hobbs is by far the most likely DJ to get turned off. I know Radcliffe and Maconie annoyed some people but I really miss them in the afternoon now. They did great interviews and when the banter was good they could be really funny.

seepage

With Jamz replacing Kershaw there's now a whole 5 hours of what seems mostly atonal jazz stuff on a Saturday afternoon rather than in the evening. Peterson is supposed to play a bit of electronica but I've not heard any, unless its definition is different to what I think.

daf

Quote from: mobias on April 03, 2021, 05:51:05 PM
I know Radcliffe and Maconie annoyed some people but I really miss them in the afternoon now. They did great interviews and when the banter was good they could be really funny.

Still worth a listen on the weekend (I record them on my TV box, and fast-forward though all the songs!)

seepage

Quote from: mobias on April 03, 2021, 05:51:05 PM
Does anyone here like the current daytime weekday schedule? I find Shaun Keaveny utterly annoying in the afternoon and I don't really have much time for Mary Ann Hobbs anymore either. We have 6 music on all day at work and Mary Anne Hobbs is by far the most likely DJ to get turned off. I know Radcliffe and Maconie annoyed some people but I really miss them in the afternoon now. They did great interviews and when the banter was good they could be really funny.

I like Keaveny but I've only been listening to 6Music from shortly after he moved to the afternoon so haven't tired of his schtick yet. Hobbs can be a bit irritating and it's very weird when she shoehorns in some metal around lunchtime.

mobias

Quote from: seepage on April 03, 2021, 05:57:47 PM
I like Keaveny but I've only been listening to 6Music from shortly after he moved to the afternoon so haven't tired of his schtick yet. Hobbs can be a bit irritating and it's very weird when she shoehorns in some metal around lunchtime.

She does play some pretty full on techno too. I like my full on techno but not at 11am. I know Lauren Laverne can be very gushy but from a musical point of view she got vibe much better when she did the 10am to 1pm slot before the last shake up.

Quote from: daf on April 03, 2021, 05:53:35 PM
Still worth a listen on the weekend (I record them on my TV box, and fast-forward though all the songs!)

Yeah I miss their weekend show as I'm not at work and I don't usually listen to the radio at weekends so much. I should give them a listen.

Camp Tramp

So glad Kershaw has gone

I did All Killer, No Filler back in 2009. They accidentally forgot to hang up at the end of my call and I heard her slagging me off to the producer. Horrible woman.

Phil_A

Quote from: seepage on April 03, 2021, 05:51:47 PM
With Jamz replacing Kershaw there's now a whole 5 hours of what seems mostly atonal jazz stuff on a Saturday afternoon rather than in the evening. Peterson is supposed to play a bit of electronica but I've not heard any, unless its definition is different to what I think.

Just looking at the Jamz Supernova playlist and she's got some Dylan, Marvin Gaye, The Jam, X-Ray Spex and Dizzee Rascal in there. It's hardly wall-to-wall Peter Brötzmann.

Of the current daytime line-up, I find Lauren Laverne far too twee, Mary Anne Hobbs too earnest and Shaun Keaveny too dreary. I can stand them in small doses but sometimes I give up and put the World Service or Radio 4 on for a break.

Mary Anne Hobbs frustrates me as I can remember her back in the Radio 1 Rock Show days when she used to be pretty sharp and funny, and now she sounds like she's permanently zonked out on Valium. There's only so much breathy reverence I can reasonably endure, I wish the old Mary Anne could come back again.

Sebastian Cobb

Agree with most of that. Although I still like Hobbs she's certainly a lot different to when she was doing the rock show or The Breezeblock.

Laverne used to be good, I think at some point she started doing more professional broadcast stuff on radio 4 and that's resulted in her talking more bollocks and adding more unnecessary features to the show (it's funny when Tom Ravenscroft sits in and does them in a very begrudging, perfunctory fashion).

I always find when Nemone sits in for Laverne or Keaveney she invariably ends up putting on a much better selection than either of them normally do. The pinnacle being her playing Roxanne Shante's Have a Nice Day at about 8am on a cold miserable morning, it cheered me up no end.

Chicory

Quote from: Camp Tramp on April 03, 2021, 06:27:05 PM
So glad Kershaw has gone

I did All Killer, No Filler back in 2009. They accidentally forgot to hang up at the end of my call and I heard her slagging me off to the producer. Horrible woman.

Fucking hell. Did you make a complaint?

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Chicory on April 03, 2021, 07:29:32 PM
Fucking hell. Did you make a complaint?

No I didn't. The thought didn't even occur to me to be honest.

Quote from: daf on April 03, 2021, 05:53:35 PM

Maconie can be an annoying twat when he wants to convince you he knows everything when really his research is shallow. Radcliffe at least admits that he just looked it up 5 minutes ago on Wikipedia.

Schmo Diddley

Jamz Supernova filled in for Giles Peterson and was good. Great that she replaced that fossil Kershaw. Great line up now on a Saturday from Morgan through to Craig Charles.

Hobbs is terrible and plays some absolute rotten shite at times - a rave at 11am on a Friday is a sign of not knowing your audience. She clearly enjoys her show more than 99% of the listeners.

Laverne was spot on for that slot but she doesn't have the patter for the morning slot - you need a bit more than straight-laced muso musings at that hour.

Norton Canes

Laverne: Competent and inoffensive but dull
Kershaw: Relic
Nemone: Fantastic taste in music, always look forward to her standing in
Ravenscroft: Chip off the old
Keavney: Moyles-tier deso. Unlistenable
Anne-Hobbs: Can't get past voice
Charles: Never been a huge fan but warming a bit to him recently, clearly a nice bloke. Plays funk and soul, job done.
Peterson: Always liked. Have also noticed more jazzy stuff and less electronica on his show lately though.
Morgan, Radcliffe, Maconie: Okay spose
Supernova: Not heard yet. Like the name though - am also tempted to adopt a pseudonym based on conserve-style product plus object related to death of a star:
Spoiler alert
Honey Blackhole
[close]

Norton Canes

Anyone heard Chris Hawkins, the guy on before Laverne? He's really awful. Like, you are surprised a national radio station employed someone so bad. 

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 03, 2021, 09:49:52 PM
Anyone heard Chris Hawkins, the guy on before Laverne? He's really awful. Like, you are surprised a national radio station employed someone so bad.

He seems like a local radio drivetime guy who's out of his depth. Likely to start a phone-in about parking or bins.  Thrown to the sharks by the cruel, sniggering breakfast show bully ubermenachen.

Sebastian Cobb

Is Hawkins the Welsh guy? I think I've heard him sit in on some other shows and it was a bit dull.

lazyhour

Hawkins is so shockingly banal and inane. Just sounds like a generic English RadioPresenter3000 robot. Honkingly bad and in no way appropriate for 6music.

Lamacq should probably be retired too.

I'll not miss Robinson at all, even though he did once interview my band on his show.

Please next get rid of Mary Anne Hobbs and her whispery gushing over everything she plays. Thanks.

I've only really heard him covering for other people, but at first I thought that Hawkins was that guy out of The Darkness.

It's fair to say that his on-air persona made more sense once I realised that he wasn't, and saw his actual photo.

Sebastian Cobb

I can get people not liking Hobbs. But personally, if I'm working away and only half paying attention, I can lose track of time and the first track that marks the Keaveny show, usually some 90's northern britpop band descends upon my psyche like a cloud on a sunny day and rains down a load of listlessness directly into my brain. Quite viscerally mood-changing.