Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:12:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

It's Back to the 80's day on 6Music today. Hooray.

amateur

No playlist all day. Phil_A will be cock-a-hoop.

shagatha crustie

Can't listen to Marc Riley's show because i was drunk and hugged him at a gig and he wasn't best pleased.

PaulTMA

They just asked listeners to text in with what they thought Prince Phillip's favourite venue might have been

Pink Gregory

10,000 replies of 'UP THE QUEEN'S ARSE'

Bob-Kate

I'm hoping there will be another shake up. Now I'm working from home, I have 6 on as default, but I'm tiring of it. The playlist especially.

Hawkins: very hospital radio, I try not to be up when he's on.

Laverne: improved over time, but she's insincere and I'm expecting her to sod off when they move to Salford.

Hobbs: yeah, the breathiness is annoying, but I don't mind her as much as I expected to. Maybe she'd be better in the afternoon.

Keaveny: I loved him in the Breakfast slot. His ironic cynicism and silliness was pitched perfectly for grey morning commutes. Find him depressing in the afternoons, but could see him working at drivetime.

Lammo: nice guy, but well past time to put him to pasture. Give him a weekend show where he can condense his week into two hours. And, please god, no more world cups.

RadMac: I quite enjoy them at the weekend. It's mild stuff, but well suited to dozing about in bed.

Nemone: always plays much better music than whoever she's standing in for. If she wants a regular show I'd give it to her.

Huw / Ravers: always enjoy them when they're on

Gemma Cairney: she's toned down her radio one matey style and was great (in for Lauren?) recently.

Craig Charles: as Janie said, he was great when Lammo was off during Lockdown 1.

Won't miss Liz.

crankshaft

Gammons-in-training making noise on social media this morning because Radcliffe is doing a sombre show with simple back announcements and no [grits teeth] "banter".

Anyone who uses the word "banter" unironically doesn't deserve entertainment.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: crankshaft on April 10, 2021, 11:13:27 AM
Gammons-in-training making noise on social media this morning because Radcliffe is doing a sombre show with simple back announcements and no [grits teeth] "banter".

Anyone who uses the word "banter" unironically doesn't deserve entertainment.

It isn't like he has a choice. BBC-wide policy I'd imagine.

Sebastian Cobb

It surprises me how Nemone has carved out a career as a stand-in for over 20 years. Usually hearing someone as a stand-in on Radio 1 was a sign they'd be getting a regular show in the near future. I know she's got had the electric ladyland that that was a graveyard slot.

Does she do other stuff off-air or is just waiting around as a stand-by presenter?

mobias

Quote from: Bob-Kate on April 10, 2021, 10:51:25 AM

Laverne: improved over time, but she's insincere and I'm expecting her to sod off when they move to Salford.

I'm surprised to hear anyone criticise her for being insincere. The usual criticism on Laverne is that she's overly sincere and gushy. I doubt she'll be going anywhere anyway. She pretty much IS 6 Music for a lot of people.
6 Music is already broadcast from both Salford and London so it doesn't really matter where the headquarters are I don't think.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: mobias on April 10, 2021, 11:25:10 AM
I'm surprised to hear anyone criticise her for being insincere. The usual criticism on Laverne is that she's overly sincere and gushy. I doubt she'll be going anywhere anyway. She pretty much IS 6 Music for a lot of people.
6 Music is already broadcast from both Salford and London so it doesn't really matter where the headquarters are I don't think.

You can be overly sincere and gushy and not mean it.

Phil_A

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 10, 2021, 11:24:47 AM
It surprises me how Nemone has carved out a career as a stand-in for over 20 years. Usually hearing someone as a stand-in on Radio 1 was a sign they'd be getting a regular show in the near future. I know she's got had the electric ladyland that that was a graveyard slot.

Does she do other stuff off-air or is just waiting around as a stand-by presenter?

She's a practicing psychotherapist, so I think the 6 Music gig has always been a bit of a sideline?

Bob-Kate

(Edit - wrong quote added before) re Lauren.

Yeah, that was what I meant. Knowing that she's part of the blue tick mean girls clique had already put me off her though.

daf

Camp Tramp

They are playing Gabriel on 6 Music now. Fantastic song. Seems a little out of place for the current sombre mood.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Bob-Kate on April 10, 2021, 01:25:46 PM
Yeah, that was what I meant. Knowing that she's part of the blue tick mean girls clique had already put me off her though.

Kenickie were ace, though. I think we can all agree on that.

Pauline Walnuts

I liked 'em, but they were corporate whores with no punters.

Emmy Kate was my Fav! No, Johnny X, no...

non capisco

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 07, 2021, 01:57:27 PM
Home Bargains always seem to have decent tunes on when I'm in there. I don't know if it's a corporate-mandated playlist or the manager of my local store really being into classic soul and new wave, but I'll take it.

New wave/eighventies pop seems to now only exist on shop playlists. I heard '7 Teen' by The Regents of all things in the Co-Op the other day. I lingered about the aisles in the hope of a bit of New Musik or Susan Fassbender next.

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 10, 2021, 07:10:12 PM
I liked 'em, but they were corporate whores with no punters.

Emmy Kate was my Fav! No, Johnny X, no...

Mate.

non capisco

Quote from: pigamus on April 07, 2021, 07:12:23 PM
The worst is Wilko - they play this rerecorded stuff - it's awful

I have a really fond memory of a trip to the Texas DIY Superstore in Crayford in the '80s being livened up by an in-store playlist re-recording of The Pointer Sisters' 'I'm So Excited' but screeched off key by a load of Kentish fishwives. Me and my Dad were pissing ourselves laughing at this thing, I'd love to hear it again. OI'M SO EXCOIIII'ID AN OI JUSS CARN OIIIIDE IT. I was about to lose control and I definitely liked it, it was beautifully appalling.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 10, 2021, 07:18:02 PM
Mate.

That's the correct term for people who try to sell out their art for moneys sake but don't find any buyers isn't it?

Jockice

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 10, 2021, 03:42:21 PM
Kenickie were ace, though. I think we can all agree on that.

Angelica were.better.

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 10, 2021, 07:24:37 PM
That's the correct term for people who try to sell out their art for moneys sake but don't find any buyers isn't it?

If you don't know why it's not cool to describe a band fronted by three women in that way, then there's nothing I can do for you.

Also, Kenickie were a pop group who wanted to have hit records. They never really managed that, so they split up. In what way did they sell out exactly?

Quote from: Jockice on April 10, 2021, 07:34:33 PM
Angelica were.better.

I liked them too. Holly and Lauren sounded practically identical.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 10, 2021, 08:02:40 PM
If you don't know why it's not cool to describe a band fronted by three women in that way, then there's nothing I can do for you.

Because I'm not a sexist giraffe, and would use it for an all male group, or a mixed one, like Kenickie. It's also a direct quote about one man.

Of all places, I would have hoped people would know that last one.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 10, 2021, 08:02:40 PM

Also, Kenickie were a pop group who wanted to have hit records. They never really managed that, so they split up. In what way did they sell out exactly?

They were an Indie-Pop-punk group, they sold out musically to less interest than their indie-pop-punk, they all appeared on This Morning doing fashion features, Period Pains would never, never have done that.

Possibly.

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 10, 2021, 08:15:32 PM
Because I'm not a sexist giraffe, and would use it for an all male group, or a mixed one, like Kenickie.

Okay, sorry. Genuinely. I'm tired and in a bad mood.

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 10, 2021, 08:15:32 PM
They were an Indie-Pop-punk group, they sold out musically to less interest than their indie-pop-punk, they all appeared on This Morning doing fashion features, Period Pains would never, never have done that.

But Kenickie actually wanted to do stuff like that. It was a laugh, they were funny people who took the piss when it came to 'playing the game'. That's not selling out, it's just what you do when you're a smart pop group with a healthy sense of irony.

Pauline Walnuts

Too err is human, to forgive, devine.

I preferred them after they sold out, I was a member of the Rosita fan club, I've got the signed postcard somewhere, ah, slightly pre-internet fandom.

lazyhour

Cerys is playing brilliant track after brilliant track this morning. Didn't seem to be a Playlist track in sight, either.

Unrelated: Arlo Parks is bland rubbish. Why on earth do 6music keep championing her??

Pink Gregory

Shame, avoided putting Cerys on this morning due to dread of further BBC wall to wall Phil the Greek content.