Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:27:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Consistently irritated by the presence of Amy Lamé on Saturday afternoons, frustrating that the fucking NIGHT CZAR (her actual government-appointed title) who sat back and accepted a 200% pay rise for supposedly supporting London's nightlife whilst seemingly watching it get fucked over by shite legislations that shaft grassroots venues and have most places shut their doors before midnight. She name-drops herself every 5 minutes between songs so I have to be constantly reminded of how much I don't like her. Except I don't because I don't listen to her station. But if I did I'd be annoyed, I can tell you that.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah she's a dickhead but I find it easy to avoid since Sundays were long a bit boring imo. Wasn't really much of a fan of Guy Garvey or Jarvis even if one of them seemed inoffensive and the other alright.

Javis often had good people sitting in though (Leila Moss, Pauline Black etc).

shiftwork2

Quote from: thugler on April 23, 2021, 12:54:25 PM
Any other rec's for online stations that are worth a pop? I know of Resonance

You probably know of FIP but if not they play a bit of everything, there's no smug, and the presenters have a pleasing melodious French that I don't understand a fucking word of.  BRILL.

Head Gardener

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I didn't know any of that about Amy Lame. Disappointing to hear, as I always thought she came across as a really nice, likeable person when she was one of Danny Baker's radio sidekicks all those years ago. Oh well.

Quote from: thugler on April 23, 2021, 12:54:25 PM
Have been giving Worldwide fm a try when 6music doesn't grab me, is sometimes decent. Any other rec's for online stations that are worth a pop? I know of Resonance

I was also going to say NTS but I tend to select interesting sounding shows to listen to from the archive rather than listening live. I really like Rum Punch because I'm a calypso lover.

Sebastian Cobb

Resonance had a really nice funk/soul show called The New Orleans Strut but either it was seasonal or they just got rid during a shake-up which was a shame.

amateur

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on April 23, 2021, 06:45:01 PM
I was also going to say NTS but I tend to select interesting sounding shows to listen to from the archive rather than listening live. I really like Rum Punch because I'm a calypso lover.

The Do!! You!! Breakfast Show with Charlie Bones is excellent on NTS as live listen.

Norton Canes

Yes! Nemone in for Keaveny today!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Phil_A on April 05, 2021, 12:26:35 PM
I really detest those stings/trailers as they just seem to me to be trying to enforce a "We're all part of the same big cuddly 6 Music family" atmosphere, which feeds into the thing of shows not really being allowed to have an individual identity as everything has to be part of the same "brand". Stuff like of every daytime DJ having to play "Album Of The Day" tracks even when it's music they clearly aren't interested in and wouldn't usually play. You can sense some of the presenters chafing against that, I'm sure Radcliffe & Maconie have made a few sly remarks about it over the years.

6 Music aren't alone in this one, it's a 'radio cliche you'd like to fuck off', but you know the advertisments where the presenter does promotes their show, then they have someone, usually a husky voiced woman, repeat a couple of words through a filter to emphasise the key points? Well there's a Nemone one at the minute where it sounds like she's doing it herself. Perhaps she is and the penny never dropped she's the voice artist for that effect across the station. Either way it sounds even naffer.

Chicory

This is not just music.... this is M&S music

Camp Tramp

I'm getting really fed up of hearing Squid and Arlo Parks all the time. They just bore me.

Chicory

Squid are appalling. They're the epitome of that "Check me out I've got a wacky voice lol" modern indie trend. And of course the lead singer's called Ollie.

Sebastian Cobb

Listened to Jamz Supernova a few times now and think she really is a good fit.

Quote from: Chicory on May 08, 2021, 03:28:23 PM
Squid are appalling. They're the epitome of that "Check me out I've got a wacky voice lol" modern indie trend. And of course the lead singer's called Ollie.

Oh God yes, I'm getting sick to death of those voices - Mush are the worst offenders.

Camp Tramp

They are playing Squid so often I feel like they are trying to 'push me in' to listening to them.

homesickalien

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2021, 03:58:57 PM
Listened to Jamz Supernova a few times now and think she really is a good fit.

Yes and the blessed Madonna in the evening.  Saturday all the way through is decent now I think.

...glad I wasn't the only one who was getting annoyed hearing Squid!

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah BM has been playing some 'last disco' stuff tonight which has been great. She just played Dolly Parton's Potential New Boyfriend, which I don't think I've ever heard before but is a banger!

SullySullivan85

I like Squid but I'm suspicious of anyone who shortens Oliver to Ollie, or god forbid, Oli.  Olly Alexander can probably act, and sing pretty well, but his new single sounds like Olly Murs. Everyone run away like you've just seen a terrorist in Selfridges.

SullySullivan85

"Zander" Alexanders though, by far, are the worst thing that's ever existed.

Sebastian Cobb

skinnneritsthechildrenthatarewrong.jpg

As someone pointed out:

Camp Tramp

She can't be gone soon enough!

The Roofdog

willbo

I've been enjoying the very early morning Sunday shows on Radio 3 where Celeste, Jorja Smith and Lianne La Havas play chillout jazz, soul, classical and ambient stuff.

The Mollusk

6 is having some great guest hosts in to celebrate pride month. This week the evening slots from 7-9pm it's Ezra Furman (who last night was playing some incredible punk as well as a lot of great folk, doo-wop and other stuff, a decent portion of which was made by LGBTQ+ artists) and John Grant 9pm-midnight, who's been belting out some amazing synth-pop as well as left field stuff like Dead Can Dance and Cocteau Twins. I was sat at my dining table last night pottering away at a little project and fuckin soaked that shit up like a sponge. Highly recommended.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: willbo on May 12, 2021, 08:35:11 PM
I've been enjoying the very early morning Sunday shows on Radio 3 where Celeste, Jorja Smith and Lianne La Havas play chillout jazz, soul, classical and ambient stuff.

Ooh nice one, will check them out.

wooders1978

Ezra Fermans show was excellent last night, loads of gems

Norton Canes

John Grant's picks have been phenomenal too.

Sebastian Cobb

I missed it but noted Jamz was filling in for Mary Anne-Hobbs as well. Was that any different to her own show?

Looks like she also does a show on 1Xtra so the BBC are clearly keeping her busy!