Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:04:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesickalien

Seconded on Ezra and John Grant's shows.

Keavney's just announced he's leaving in September.

Who else would be good in the 1-4 slot?

Head Gardener

Quote from: homesickalien on June 11, 2021, 03:22:41 PM

me but I'd turn it down as the commute to Salford would be too tiring, sorry

Sebastian Cobb

Can't say I'll miss Keavney really. His dour "professional notherner" act has been worn out for quite some time.

willbo

I feel like I've been listening to Mark, Lard and Maconie tell the same jokes, funny sayings and anecdotes my whole life

Sebastian Cobb

My dad mentioned how Radcliffe burbles as he speaks and now I find it hard to ignore, preferred he hadn't mentioned it really. I think Richard Bacon made a fake jingle ribbing it, which seems a little cruel, but I can't say I noticed in the Mark and Lard days, so is it just a geriatric thing?

Chicory

Just wanted to add my voice to the sound of the John Grant appreciation crowd.  A genuine connoisseur of synthpop in all its many shades.  One of my favourite humans.

Sebastian Cobb

I wonder what Keavney is going to do after 6 music, it seemed like his bread and butter, I know he played a bit of guitar and tried his hand as a comic or something that never really went very far.

Incidentally Worldwide FM has recently got Rob Da Bank on as a Sunday regular. I quite liked him back when he was on Radio One. He always had stuff like Sunday Best and Bestival to keep him busy, but it's nice to hear him back on the air somewhere in some capacity.

Barry Admin

Superb news about Keavney! I don't listen to 6 Music much at all these days, for fear of bumping into him. That fucking Paul McCartney bit... Christ almighty. And those middle age shout out rap things he does... Oh, he's the absolute pits.

Be great if Steve Lamacq fucks off to Radio 2 or somewhere at some point. Bland shiter. Think he's still exceptionally popular tho, like most boring, under-achieving toss.

Sebastian Cobb

I think the last time I listened to Keavney was around 2015 as I was driving to work... his 'bit' then was putting on a geriatric voice pretending to be surprised that albums now come out on Fridays rather than Mondays. Does he still do that? It used to do my lid in more than the middle-aged shout outs.

"listener engagement" on 6 music is generally cringeworthy even in shows I quite like. Dancing around your kitchen to some northern soul at teatime on a Saturday is it? Mint mate.

Janie Jones

Quote from: homesickalien on June 11, 2021, 03:22:41 PM

Thirded, Ezra in particular has been brilliant.

I didn't hate Keavney the way I hate Hobbs but that's great news, I'd be happy with Ravenscroft or Hoooo.

Janie Jones

Actually I'm really worried that is racist, would I mock the name of, say, an African DJ like that? No. Huw Stephens.

I've no idea what the ratings are like in the afternoon now but I wonder if he jumped before he was pushed? The announcement from BBC News seems desperate to put a positive spin on things but you can't help reading between the lines a bit. It feels like he's had a lot of time off lately as well.

It seems obvious that his move to that slot was a huge mistake, his no energy can't-be-arsed shtick just feels like a massive drag at that time of day and it makes the afternoons feel interminable. The repetitive features(including several carried from his morning show, so already well-and-truly played out) and lack of anything along the lines of, say interesting guests to add some variety just adds to the feeling of ennui and the sense that he just lacked all inspiration to make anything worthwhile out of it.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 11, 2021, 05:15:17 PM
My dad mentioned how Radcliffe burbles as he speaks and now I find it hard to ignore, preferred he hadn't mentioned it really. I think Richard Bacon made a fake jingle ribbing it, which seems a little cruel, but I can't say I noticed in the Mark and Lard days, so is it just a geriatric thing?

"Berberian Sound Studio is how Mark Radcliffe says Ian Sound Studio" is still one of my favourite tweets of all time (Daniel Maier I think)

non capisco

Quote from: Janie Jones on June 11, 2021, 11:21:41 PM

Been listening to the Ezra shows on catchup this evening, absolutely fantastic. How could they not be? I've long marvelled at her ability to pluck melodies that seem like they should have existed for years already from thin air (eg. My Zero, Teddy I'm Ready, Love You So Bad, Cherry Lane etc. etc.) so a trawl through her influences was always gonna be a treasure trove.

mobias

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on June 11, 2021, 11:58:30 PM
I've no idea what the ratings are like in the afternoon now but I wonder if he jumped before he was pushed? The announcement from BBC News seems desperate to put a positive spin on things but you can't help reading between the lines a bit. It feels like he's had a lot of time off lately as well.

It seems obvious that his move to that slot was a huge mistake, his no energy can't-be-arsed shtick just feels like a massive drag at that time of day and it makes the afternoons feel interminable. The repetitive features(including several carried from his morning show, so already well-and-truly played out) and lack of anything along the lines of, say interesting guests to add some variety just adds to the feeling of ennui and the sense that he just lacked all inspiration to make anything worthwhile out of it.

Totally agree  with all that. We always turn off at work whenever his afternoon show starts. I've sometimes wondered how many others do the same. I guess the BBC have the data. People can say what they like about Rad-Mac but they hit the nail on the head with their afternoon slot when they did it. It worked far better.

Sebastian Cobb

They'll definitely have stats. There's proper 'insights' bodies like RAJAR, but they won't even need that since they're almost certainly collecting listener numbers on their streaming platform.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 12, 2021, 12:32:51 PM
They'll definitely have stats. There's proper 'insights' bodies like RAJAR

The tiger from Aladdin? Fuck, you definitely wouldn't want to get on their bad side if your ratings started slipping!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: mobias on June 12, 2021, 09:38:31 AM
Totally agree  with all that. We always turn off at work whenever his afternoon show starts. I've sometimes wondered how many others do the same. I guess the BBC have the data. People can say what they like about Rad-Mac but they hit the nail on the head with their afternoon slot when they did it. It worked far better.

I know regular listeners love a routine set in concrete, it's the key to a good radio show, apparently, but I wish they'd introduced new running items other than Teatime Theme Time  and The Chain though. Just to mix it up a bit between playing A Message To You, Rudy, Teenage Kicks, Bonnie & Clyde and Walk On The bleedin' Wild Side seemingly every other day.

Sebastian Cobb

I found when he got moved I could be working away and lose track of time a bit and not really be aware that the handover was taking place and the first I knew of it was the arrival of some 90's/2000's track from some northern indie band, arriving like a grey mist on my general demeanour.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 12, 2021, 12:39:22 PM
The tiger from Aladdin? Fuck, you definitely wouldn't want to get on their bad side if your ratings started slipping!

haha!

Sebastian Cobb

I love how when they do the 'coming up' bit where Gilles comes on to plug his show it's clear Jamz and Peterson have enough shared musical interest that they inevitably end up having a chat that veers off and forget to do the plugging.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 11, 2021, 07:15:10 PM
Superb news about Keavney! I don't listen to 6 Music much at all these days, for fear of bumping into him. That fucking Paul McCartney bit... Christ almighty. And those middle age shout out rap things he does... Oh, he's the absolute pits.

Be great if Steve Lamacq fucks off to Radio 2 or somewhere at some point. Bland shiter. Think he's still exceptionally popular tho, like most boring, under-achieving toss.

I cannot stand Lamacq. That he is referred to as 'Lammo' is wearyingly predictable, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a car sticker that says "I know what I like". It especially irks me that he is often on me when I'm cooking; you can't cook to the backdrop of slop he serves up every day. Your potatoes would stay hard, the vegetables would turn to mush, and there's no chance of a soufflé[nb]I have never made a soufflé. If they sacked Lamacq I would try[/nb] rising with him droning in the background.

Sebastian Cobb

I've always been indifferent to Lamacq, he's not made me angry like he seems to both here and elsewhere, and I've never really understood why he's an indie national treasure either really. I agree at this point he could be put out to pasture.

mobias

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 12, 2021, 12:50:56 PM
I know regular listeners love a routine set in concrete, it's the key to a good radio show, apparently, but I wish they'd introduced new running items other than Teatime Theme Time  and The Chain though.

The repetitiveness of 'the chain' thing drove me mad and by the sounds of things I wasn't the only one. Be interesting to see who they get to replace Keaveny. I presume Radcliffe and Maconie wanted to quit that slot? Mark Radcliffe had his brush with cancer and Stuart Maconie has his fingers in various pies (and I mean that partly literally) that presumably eat up a lot of his time. 

That weekday afternoon slot is really the biggest slot on 6music I think.

Sebastian Cobb

Breakfast show, with drive time not far behind it used to be the most coveted didn't they?

Chicory

Hissing Lammo, slithering in after the final drums finish on 'Been Caught Stealing', reminding you it'sss the final of the B-side off the third single World Cup tomorrow, on an infinite day by day by fucking day loop.

Norton Canes

Yes! Keavo gets the heave-ho

Bob-Kate

I really, really liked Shaun in the mornings, but couldn't listen to him in the afternoon. Too gloomy and yet too distractingly perky at the same time.

Will always remember his show on the morning Bowie died though, him and Matt dealt with it perfectly.

Surely it's time to give Lammo a weekend show and freshen up the weekday slots. I always enjoy Huw and Tom Peel when they step in on the drive time slot. Jamz suits early afternoon / late morning.

I dunno who they need to get in - but PLEASE radio6, cut back on the playlist a bit. More and more of us are working from home and have the radio on all day, the playlist makes it unbearable. Good god, I even tried listening to Smooth the other day.

the science eel

Quote from: Janie Jones on June 11, 2021, 11:21:41 PM

I didn't hate Keavney the way I hate Hobbs but that's great news, I'd be happy with Ravenscroft or Hoooo.

Tom R comes across as a lovely fella but I can't handle that drippy voice at all.

Glad to see the back of Keaveny - he is to radio what Larry King was to interviewing.

6 Music DJ ranking - best to worst

Gideon Coe

Tom Robinson
Marc Riley

Don Letts

Mary Anne Hobbs

The Blessed Madonna = Tom Ravenscroft

Craig Charles

Lauren Laverne

Stuart Maconie

Steve Lamacq

Liz Kershaw