Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:53:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Decided to put the radio on this morning for the first time in years (usually only listen around dinner time whilst cooking). Lauren was playing "Da Funk" and afterwards she goes "Tell you what those Daft Punk helmets would be great in this weather, no need for sun screen." Turned the radio off.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I stopped listening to 6 Music last year. Its constant splurge of presumably well-meaning platitudes - "Here's something that might make you feel a little less alone during these unprecedented times" - made me feel even worse and more lonely than I already did.

It was never some bubblegum pop or disco - or anything remotely unexpected - it was always The Undertones or Buzzcocks. I have nothing against either of those bands, but I just cannot bear the whole comfortably middle-aged, centrist parent psyche of that station.

Dancing around your fucking kitchen island to Devo. Piss off.

sweeper

Quote from: the science eel on June 14, 2021, 10:21:31 AM
Tom R comes across as a lovely fella but I can't handle that drippy voice at all.

Glad to see the back of Keaveny - he is to radio what Larry King was to interviewing.

6 Music DJ ranking - best to worst

Gideon Coe

Tom Robinson
Marc Riley

Don Letts

Mary Anne Hobbs

The Blessed Madonna = Tom Ravenscroft

Craig Charles

Lauren Laverne

Stuart Maconie

Steve Lamacq

Liz Kershaw
Shaun Keaveny

You missed out Jamz Supernova and Gilles Peterson.

Can't imagine why.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 14, 2021, 12:47:01 PM
Decided to put the radio on this morning for the first time in years (usually only listen around dinner time whilst cooking). Lauren was playing "Da Funk" and afterwards she goes "Tell you what those Daft Punk helmets would be great in this weather, no need for sun screen." Turned the radio off.

sound of the summer

the science eel

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 14, 2021, 01:06:33 PM
I stopped listening to 6 Music last year. Its constant splurge of presumably well-meaning platitudes - "Here's something that might make you feel a little less alone during these unprecedented times" - made me feel even worse and more lonely than I already did.

It was never some bubblegum pop or disco - or anything remotely unexpected - it was always The Undertones or Buzzcocks. I have nothing against either of those bands, but I just cannot bear the whole comfortably middle-aged, centrist parent psyche of that station.

I'll say it again - Gideon Coe

Jockice

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 14, 2021, 01:06:33 PM

Probably my two favourite bands ever. But I agree with you.

willbo

I appreciate the variety of some of the best shows. The fact that sometimes I turn it on and it can be anything from Betty Harris to Camper Van Beethoven. I pretty much never listen to the evening shows where Mark/Lard/Maconie play their favourite post punk or whatever. I like the varied classics on the morning shows. I want them to have a current playlist because I want to know what's going on in music right now, who's cool etc.

Pink Gregory

dancing round the FUCK OFF FUCK OFF FUCK OFF

The Mollusk

To my own crushing dismay, I did actually find myself dancing in the kitchen to 6 Music last week. In my paltry defence, it was during Ezra's show and she was playing this cracking west African highlife tune which I'd never heard before and was immediately whipped into an arm-swaying happy vibe. I did feel somewhat appalled with myself but at least it wasn't something like fucking Disclosure.

Camp Tramp

Radio 6 does seem a bit tired and hackneyed. The playlist became the bane of my existence when I was indoors reading for and writing essays.

Better than 2008 though. Listening to George Lamb got tiresome, fast!

Pauline Walnuts

Lamb's career peaked with presenting an eponymous daytime BBC Radio 6 Music show, for two years from October 2007 to November 2009,[3]

Chicory

Quote from: Camp Tramp on June 14, 2021, 07:05:24 PM
Better than 2008 though. Listening to George Lamb got tiresome, fast!

File under 'Disappointing sons who must have been considered smothering fodder at least once' along with James McCartney.

amateur

Nothing wrong with having a dance to music in your own home you miserable fucks. It's magic, give it a go!

Intro by Alan Braxe & Fred Falke on presently. Now that's a proper song.

gilbertharding

No-one (I think) is saying there is anything wrong with dancing ("bopping") round ones own kitchen.

It's the act of writing in to the radio station, and the subsequent reading out on that radio station of the fact which ought to be stamped out. Any response to music is something which should be spontaneous, and self-evident. Curse the Kitchen Disco infection.

Exactly.

Dance yourselves dizzy, in your kitchens or elsewhere. I just can't stand the attention-seeking tweeness of contacting a radio station with all that "Oh wow! Just finished the school run! Classic tune, Lauren!" bollocks. 

And when Lauren or whoever actually reads that stuff out on air, well it just sickens me.

amateur

Well I think it's great. I'd rather hear how other people are reacting to music that I enjoy than some fucker solemnly reading out tour dates.

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 15, 2021, 09:10:29 AMAny response to music is something which should be spontaneous, and self-evident.

Not sure about this. Ever text a mate because you've heard a brilliant song?

phantom_power

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 15, 2021, 09:15:11 AM
Exactly.

Dance yourselves dizzy, in your kitchens or elsewhere. I just can't stand the attention-seeking tweeness of contacting a radio station with all that "Oh wow! Just finished the school run! Classic tune, Lauren!" bollocks. 

And when Lauren or whoever actually reads that stuff out on air, well it just sickens me.

Heaven forbid people enjoy a shared experience

poodlefaker

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 11, 2021, 07:01:42 PM
I wonder what Keavney is going to do after 6 music, it seemed like his bread and butter, I know he played a bit of guitar and tried his hand as a comic or something that never really went very far.

I think I heard him on Radio 4 the other day, sitting in for the Showbiz Vicar on that horrible Saturday morning show.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 15, 2021, 09:15:11 AM
I just can't stand the attention-seeking tweeness of contacting a radio station with all that "Oh wow! Just finished the school run! Classic tune, Lauren!" bollocks.

People still write in for requests! I  mean, fair enough, this process no longer involves finding an envelope and a pen that works and walking to the post office to queue up for a stamp, but when almost the entire  history of recoded music is at your fingertips, do you really need to ask Tom Robinson to play "Oliver's Army" for you?

amateur

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 15, 2021, 09:47:24 AM
People still write in for requests! I  mean, fair enough, this process no longer involves finding an envelope and a pen that works and walking to the post office to queue up for a stamp, but when almost the entire  history of recoded music is at your fingertips, do you really need to ask Tom Robinson to play "Oliver's Army" for you?

Good luck getting that one played on the BBC any time soon.

gilbertharding

Quote from: amateur on June 15, 2021, 09:26:31 AM
Ever text a mate because you've heard a brilliant song?

Don't think so.

willbo

I actually spent most of 2020 facebook messaging my brother whenever a song we liked was on R6. Everything from Sleeper to Bob Dylan to Aretha Franklin.

Do any of the other DJs do Maconie's trick of pretending to know what he's talking about while feverishly Googling it? (I'm not saying that no other presenter does this, just that Maconie would have you believe it's all stored in his encyclopaedic memory because he's so passionate about musical history).

Quote from: phantom_power on June 15, 2021, 09:39:08 AM

That isn't the point I'm making at all.

Endicott

Quote from: amateur on June 15, 2021, 09:26:31 AM
Not sure about this. Ever text a mate because you've heard a brilliant song?

I have actually, because I can't help myself. Every time it's a complete flop. Total disaster. I really should have a word with myself.

willbo

Quote from: Endicott on June 15, 2021, 01:46:58 PM
I have actually, because I can't help myself. Every time it's a complete flop. Total disaster. I really should have a word with myself.

text me about em mate

Barry Admin

The "dancing round your kitchen" thing is just a funny cliche really; I smile with recognition when I see it in these threads. It's just people saying something they've heard other people say so they too can get on the radio, and is absolutely ripe for a bit of mild piss-taking.

Actually dancing round your kitchen is fun, yes.

phantom_power

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 15, 2021, 01:28:18 PM
That isn't the point I'm making at all.

That is ultimately what you are describing though, but giving it a negative connotation

Quote from: phantom_power on June 15, 2021, 09:39:08 AM

But it's fed by that performative/narcissistic twitter sphere where you have to be constantly demonstrating how much a part of the conversation you are. It doesn't feel like genuine shared enjoyment so much as presenting the version of you to your followers that is constantly Living Your Best life.

Honestly, it must be so exhausting having to keep up with that. It's why I generally restrict myself to the more low-key self-indulgence of Facebook.

phantom_power

You see it as performative/narcissistic. I see it as people just wanting to be part of something, which is important generally but even more so at the moment. We all know people on social media who take it too far but just sending a text to a radio station saying what you are doing seems quite low key to me. Not much different to sharing bits of your life on a internet forum