Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:58:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Quote from: phantom_power on June 15, 2021, 03:02:15 PM
You see it as performative/narcissistic. I see it as people just wanting to be part of something, which is important generally but even more so at the moment. We all know people on social media who take it too far but just sending a text to a radio station saying what you are doing seems quite low key to me. Not much different to sharing bits of your life on a internet forum

Agreed, phantom, but if CC was full of people saying "I laughed until a little bit of wee came out" and not much else, then you'd surely find it a bit tiring, no?

"Missed a bit!" - these kind of clichés just get very dull, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

holyzombiejesus

I prefer laughing round my kitchen and dancing until a bit of wee comes out.

phantom_power

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 15, 2021, 03:05:50 PM
Agreed, phantom, but if CC was full of people saying "I laughed until a little bit of wee came out" and not much else, then you'd surely find it a bit tiring, no?

"Missed a bit!" - these kind of clichés just get very dull, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

I see your point but it isn't like they are going to read out essays or anything too esoteric. It is more akin to the short, one-sentence forum in-joke posts that you get quite a lot of. Quite easy to ignore if you don't like them

Sebastian Cobb

The 'dancing round the kitchen' stuff is the midde-aged indie fleece dad version of phoning up Dave Pierce to tell him you, chicken and wozza are on the way back from Gatecrasher and STILL HAVING IT LARGE in Daventry services.

peteprodge

Bit late to point this out, but Shaun Keaveney's 'goodbye' speech last week stated that he was "not being decommissioned", and that he's going to be doing "something else", and it's as vague as that, really.

dr beat

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 15, 2021, 03:05:50 PM

Dunno if this is the place to mention this, but similar stuff now clogs up football and cricket feeds on BBC.  Gets everywhere.

the science eel

Quote from: peteprodge on June 15, 2021, 04:31:30 PM
Bit late to point this out, but Shaun Keaveney's 'goodbye' speech last week stated that he was "not being decommissioned", and that he's going to be doing "something else", and it's as vague as that, really.

He's going to have some crisps

(eight-second pause)

and a pie

(longer pause)

I DO like a pie

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: dr beat on June 15, 2021, 04:41:48 PM
Dunno if this is the place to mention this, but similar stuff now clogs up football and cricket feeds on BBC.  Gets everywhere.

It does. No one in this thread is complaining about people enjoying themselves - let's frug ourselves silly in the tombstone face of death - it's just the utter lack of imagination when it comes to certain forms of expression.

I'm guilty of it myself sometimes, we all are, but I think it's entirely fair enough to criticise twee, cosy cliches. They drain the life out of discourse and undermine spontaneous fun.

Anyway. Yowza, yowza, yowza.

Barry Admin

Quote from: dr beat on June 15, 2021, 04:41:48 PM

What sort of stuff do the cricket and footy fans say?

JaDanketies

There used to be these two guys just a few months ago who were on 6Music and seemed to be parodying the whole DJ thing, asking people to write in to talk about chairs or whatever. And they had an ident that mocked the Radio 2 guy Steve Wright (fucking awful guy, I always assumed he was the guy from The Wright Stuff but they just have the same voice and opinions), with a clip of him talking about "roving gangs of cats" or something. Can't remember what they were called but I guess they got bumped to another timeslot.

Radio 6 Music is obviously the best radio station.

gilbertharding

Quote from: phantom_power on June 15, 2021, 03:26:31 PM
It is more akin to the short, one-sentence forum in-joke posts that you get quite a lot of.

I live in hope that 'dancing round the kitchen' might one day take on ironic status (as a statement, not an actual act). I think, though, that the first dj to brace this leap was Sarah Kennedy, with her 'SWs' - short for 'Steve Wrights', referring to his habit of reading out listeners messages saying 'Dear Steve, love the show'.

gilbertharding

Quote from: JaDanketies on June 15, 2021, 06:18:25 PM
There used to be these two guys just a few months ago who were on 6Music and seemed to be parodying the whole DJ thing, asking people to write in to talk about chairs or whatever. And they had an ident that mocked the Radio 2 guy Steve Wright (fucking awful guy, I always assumed he was the guy from The Wright Stuff but they just have the same voice and opinions), with a clip of him talking about "roving gangs of cats" or something. Can't remember what they were called but I guess they got bumped to another timeslot.

Whenever Steve Wright gets a sagging, I remember what they said about him in The Manual.

JaDanketies

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 15, 2021, 07:22:33 PM
Whenever Steve Wright gets a sagging, I remember what they said about him in The Manual.

QuoteIf it is now after 3pm and you have your studio booked, switch on Radio One and listen to "Steve Wright In The Afternoon". Viewed from a certain angle the man is a genius. Find that angle and view. He is the most popular DJ in the country. He has been the heartbeat of the British psyche since 1985. You don't even have to like him to be awed by him.

This above paragraph is not an attempt at obvious irony, it is for real. If you can't find that angle then I am afraid you have wasted your money in buying this manual.

Sourced from none other than CookdandBombd

dr beat

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 15, 2021, 05:45:17 PM

On the BBC feeds, only the lowest common denominator twee old guff is allowed.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: JaDanketies on June 15, 2021, 06:18:25 PM

Radio 6 Music is obviously the best radio station.

Seeing as the Radio 2 guy talking about roving gangs of cats was actually Jeremy Vine, and this clip was played on Shaun Keaveny's show every damned day, it is in fact Shaun Keaveny who was the two guys you heard.

Sebastian Cobb

I love how there's all these radio one criticisms that were inevitably written when I was too young to get the observations, yet he's still managing to do the same thing on radio 2 about 25+ years later and seemingly not changed a jot.

Based on the rumours I've seen on here, a fair bit of effort went into that faux, jovial spontaneous fun. Pre-recorded links, etc.

gilbertharding

I think Steve Wrightintheafternoon is great, as it goes. I mean, I think he's a wanker, not a cunt (as Sarah Bee said about Gary Davies).

The Mollusk

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 15, 2021, 05:45:17 PM

"Loving the coverage today! Just accidentally-on-purpose twatted a ball at my dad's bollocks in the kitchen!"

Catalogue of ills

In the age of streaming services, it's not unreasonable to think that the purpose of radio is now quite binary. On the one hand (and it's a fucking big hand, you wouldn't want that up you) there are stations that cater for people who know what they like, and what they like is the same, predictable stuff over and over. Not my saucer of rat poison, but there you have it. On the other, much more slender hand, there is a role for radio in catering for people who don't want to exist in a diminished state of 'if you like that, you might like this' streaming recommendations, but want to hear something they've never heard before and that might get them excited. After all, for a tenner a month you can listen to most things you might want to hear, and there's youtube for the rest.

6 Music seems to be trying to cater to both camps (sort of a burger van that also does edible insects that are also somehow vegan) which arguably is the role of a public service broadcaster, although why one camp can't just say "Alexa, play I Wanna Be Adored on loop while I peruse kitchen islands and think about what might have been" I'm not sure. I suppose I'm saying that the existence of streaming services should mean that radio becomes more extreme and adventurous in what is played, because you can get what you know you like off the internet without some tired man interrupting your favourite outros. Ergo, bin the Keaveneys and the Lamacqs and replace with something more esoteric[nb]For want of a better word. And there will be a better word[/nb]

daf

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 15, 2021, 07:22:33 PM
Whenever Steve Wright gets a sagging,

Mr Angry get's a naggin'!

willbo

I suppose I'm saying that the existence of streaming services should mean that radio becomes more extreme and adventurous in what is played, because you can get what you know you like off the internet without some tired man interrupting your favourite outros.

I would have thought it was the opposite. I go to streaming for my own personal quirky tastes, I go to the radio for the shared experience of finding what the country/youth are into right now and being part of something bigger.

Personally I want R6 to have a playlist because I want to be updated in what's going on. I'm too old to hang out in student bars or whatever so I want help to keep my finger on the pulse. If a band like DC Fontaines or Sports Team are making a splash I want to know about it.

Personally I would have thought most people would find R6 alternative and experimental enough as a whole with all the freak zone type shows late at night, etc.

I don't expect R6 to be that youthy or edgy though. Because radio 1 exists for that. I just expect a radio version of the student bars I used to go to where mid-20s students would hang out with 50s/60s aged profs/mature students/local record shop owners/hippies and talk music.

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 15, 2021, 10:31:40 PM
I think Steve Wrightintheafternoon is great, as it goes. I mean, I think he's a wanker, not a cunt (as Sarah Bee said about Gary Davies).

I think the homophobia of the old show makes him a cunt.

Chicory

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 16, 2021, 08:31:21 AM
I think the homophobia of the old show makes him a cunt.

I can't remember exactly how that went but I'm imagining something very akin to Alan Partridge's 'Camp David'.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Chicory on June 16, 2021, 06:59:33 PM
I can't remember exactly how that went but I'm imagining something very akin to Alan Partridge's 'Camp David'.

It was exactly like that. Gervais (not that one) the Hairdresser, a character whose entire M.O. was an endless stream of gay innuendo.

Nowt wrong with a bit of gay innuendo when the performers themselves are gay - Julian Clary and Larry Grayson were masters of it - but Steve Wright sniggering at a flamboyant homosexual stereotype is a different matter entirely. Imagine being gay! That was the level of the humour there.

And I say that as someone who regards Wright as an essentially harmless wally whose zany schtick often made laugh during his Radio 1 heyday.

poodlefaker

Quote from: The Roofdog on June 12, 2021, 01:02:41 AM
"Berberian Sound Studio is how Mark Radcliffe says Ian Sound Studio" is still one of my favourite tweets of all time (Daniel Maier I think)

The Hair Bear Bunch is how Mark Radcliffe says the bunch.

Malcy

Craig Charles is taking the Keaveny slot.

www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57912382

He'll be a very busy man!

Amy Lame is moving to a virtual graveyard slot, can't say I'm unhappy about that.

Losing an hour of RadMac. I don't tend to listen to much radio pre-8am so I doubt I'll notice. Hopefully they're happy with an extra hour in bed.

Norton Canes

Ouch, yeah, that's kicked Amy Lamé right into touch.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Malcy on July 22, 2021, 03:38:30 PM
Craig Charles is taking the Keaveny slot.

www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57912382

Glad to see he's keeping his funk and soul show. Although it is a little repetative these days, and also seems to have widened the gamut to plenty of reggae (I am fine with this, just being a pedant) I do still enjoy it.

I've not listened to him myself on R2 when he's filling in. But my dad has been quite complementary of him when he's wearing his 'general music and chat' radio DJ hat and said he's quite good at it, he's not a religious listener of him on 6 music but knows what it's like.

the science eel

I was on Marc Riley's show on Monday night, answering his Anagram Sam thing

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000xzwg

(starts around an hour and 53 minutes in)