Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:59:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicory

Convinced more than ever that Lamacq is a human sized cockroach in a Black Flag T shirt.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 22, 2021, 04:38:40 PM
Glad to see he's keeping his funk and soul show. Although it is a little repetative these days, and also seems to have widened the gamut to plenty of reggae (I am fine with this, just being a pedant) I do still enjoy it.

I've not listened to him myself on R2 when he's filling in. But my dad has been quite complementary of him when he's wearing his 'general music and chat' radio DJ hat and said he's quite good at it, he's not a religious listener of him on 6 music but knows what it's like.

He's covered for Lamacq quite a bit and obviously it was more of a general kind of show than the funk and soul thing, but christ it was 1000 times better. Personally I thought Radcliffe and Maconie were fine for the afternoon slot, and Charles would be my first choice for DRIVE TIME

Quote from: the science eel on July 22, 2021, 04:41:30 PM
I was on Marc Riley's show on Monday night, answering his Anagram Sam thing

I got a shoutout once for a very easy go on the t-shirt game while dancing around my kitchen to Jerhro Tull.

Quote from: Chicory on July 22, 2021, 06:59:33 PM
Convinced more than ever that Lamacq is a human sized cockroach in a Black Flag T shirt.

Cruel maybe, but he could've been anything he wanted to be.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on July 22, 2021, 07:08:22 PM
He's covered for Lamacq quite a bit and obviously it was more of a general kind of show than the funk and soul thing, but christ it was 1000 times better. Personally I thought Radcliffe and Maconie were fine for the afternoon slot, and Charles would be my first choice for DRIVE TIME

Been ages since I heard Lamacq and agree he needs putting out to pasture. As I say my old man thought he was great on drive time/mid morning fill ins on R2. It seems like he might actually be a really talented entertainer but the average funk and soul fan just knows him as that. I say average, that could well be me!

Hmm, interesting choice. I was convinced Huw Stevens had the Keavney slot in the bag tbh, given how much covering he's been doing in daytime lately, but I'll take it.

mobias

I'm up for Craig Charles in the afternoon. I followed quite a heated discussion on Twitter yesterday on a Radio 6 thread. Shaun Keaveny sure has his hardcore fans who's world has come to an end at the news he's leaving. Sadly though they can't argue with the plummet in listeners for his afternoon show. Its just a dud show for whats the prime time afternoon slot.

Apparently RadMac didn't want to give up that slot. I was under the impression it was their decision to end it but apparently it came as a surprise to them. I guess that show was starting to loose listeners too.

Steve Lamacq is in his afternoon slot forever. He gets all the indy dads tuning in after the school run. Its a solid slot for him.

Bob-Kate

Oooh, Craig Charles in the afternoon will be great. Was listening to him last weekend and shazam'd about 10 songs in a row. And he's funny.

Chicory, you're so right about Lammo! Good lord he needs to be moved on. Has he got kompromat on some high ups? Nah, I guess the fact that he can get the likes of Damon Albarn and Noel Gallagher in for in depth features now and then is enough to keep him installed.

I think they'll be more changes coming. They've been trying out new presenters like Jamz Supernova for holiday cover recently, so probably looking at audience reactions.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 22, 2021, 04:00:05 PM
Ouch, yeah, that's kicked Amy Lamé right into touch.

Surely she will be happy with the early morning weekend slot, since loads of revellers will still be up from the night before thanks to so many venues being open all night? Oh wait no, she effectively turned a blind eye to that stuff getting strangled out whilst enjoying her massive pay rise as fucking Night Czar of London, so no one will be listening.

Quote from: the science eel on July 22, 2021, 04:41:30 PM
I was on Marc Riley's show on Monday night, answering his Anagram Sam thing

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000xzwg

(starts around an hour and 53 minutes in)

Nice! I had a text read out by him the other night, drawing comparison between Magazine's "Definitive Gaze" and Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" soundtrack. He said he sort of knew what I was on about. LISTEN HARDER CLOTH EARS.

I had a request for Ball Of Confusion by The Temptations read out by Craig Charles on the night before the last World Cup kicked off when he was asking for football-related suggestions.  All well and good until he faded the track down half-way through and moaned ohhh, Simon as if was sliding his hand down the front of his pants.

Still, good news about the afternoon slot.

Brundle-Fly

Will somebody buy the daytime presenters a Reggae's Greatest Hits Vol 2 album because I think they've exhausted the ten or so tracks they've been rotating for the past fifteen years. I swear if I hear 'Nightnurse', 'Ali Baba' or fucking Uptown Top Ranking played one more time...

Another thing. I HATE the smugness that emanates from the radio whenever they spin any kind of metal track.  'You're proper mad, you'.

Also they played All Night Long by Lionel Ritchie the other day. Hang on, this is a bit Radio 2, a bit SmoothFM. WTF??
But wait, phew, they're actually playing the live version from the Glastonbury legacy section. Thank god, they validated it with the musk of indie cool. Everything is balanced again.

Rant over.

Ha, Uptown Top Ranking playing right now!

I prefer it to Marcia Griffifth's original though, that one gets hammered to death as well.

Jockice

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on July 25, 2021, 09:03:17 AM
Ha, Uptown Top Ranking playing right now!

I just logged on to post that!

Jockice

And now it's 007. Another regular.

Brundle-Fly

They're all good tunes, don't get me wrong but it's so boring. It's as if they're terrified to even remotely stray from anything the listeners might not know. I'm not expecting any deep cuts from The Scientist's dub albums, but we're grown-ups, just play some reggae that hasn't been on old Top Of The Pops episodes for a change. 
Y'know, Toots And The Maytals did record more than that one song from This Is England. "Oh, I loved that film, when are they going to get Stephen Graham on to DJ for the day? He's such a good actor."

DrGreggles

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 24, 2021, 05:47:22 PM
Also they played All Night Long by Lionel Ritchie the other day. Hang on, this is a bit Radio 2, a bit SmoothFM. WTF??

Ha, I love that song. Nice bit of 80s pop.

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 25, 2021, 10:09:05 AM

In 1996 I went on a solo road trip from Miami down the Florida Keys. The hire car's radio was tuned to a station called Lite FM. Honestly, the blandest thing I've ever heard in my life. So much so that when they played All Night Long I was practically jumping up and down on my seat shouting 'punk's not dead!'

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 25, 2021, 10:09:05 AM

Oh, so do I, believe me. It blew away everything else that I heard Laverne play in her session but they wouldn't have given it the time of day if it didn't have a connection to something they nebulously perceive as cool (ie Lionel Ritchie performing it at Glastonbury or if Steve McQueen used All Night Long in one of his films)

Jockice

Return Of Django a couple of minutes ago. I mean I'm no reggae expert (and don't even particularly like much of it) but even I'd like to hear something different once in a while.

Pink Gregory

I could happily never hear Race the Devil ever again, and it's something that I enjoy.

shiftwork2

Quite fond of Charles and I agree he would have perfect for the drive time slot.  Lamacq has something very juicy on senior people at the BBC it's the only explanation for that dishwater show limping on and on.

the science eel

Lamacq has one of the worst speaking voices I've ever come across.

Sebastian Cobb

On the playing the same songs - Jamz acknowledged and took the piss out of some flak that Voodoo Rage seems to be the only A Guy Called Gerald track allowed on 6.

Chicory

Quote from: the science eel on July 25, 2021, 12:21:03 PM
Lamacq has one of the worst speaking voices I've ever come across.

You'd think the first lesson in broadcasting school would be How Not To Have Some Weird Creepy Whisper As An Actual Speaking Voice.  He's got nothing on the utterly maddening Chris 'The Hawk' Hawkins though.  Bastard can barely communicate.

There's definitely daytime 6 Music 'house style' at the moment when it comes to new stuff - that robotic electro style with emotionless spoken words like Wet Leg or that one about the little girl who's lost her dolly.

Either that or the singers from Squid/Mush/whoever having their nuts crushed.

Adam Driver's hipster character plays a vinyl copy of All Night Long on his retro hifi in While We're Young.

https://youtu.be/9AwYfVngL8A

good times

Gemma Cairney was driving me up the wall last week filling in on breakfast

She seems like probably a genuinely lovely person and played some decent tunes (better than Laverne who plays some right bollocks) but she's just too fucking chirpy to deal with at that hour

Also can't stand the 6 presenters going on about everyone needing good vibes, cheering up etc all the time - stop drawing attention to how miserable I am please.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 25, 2021, 12:24:38 PM
On the playing the same songs - Jamz acknowledged and took the piss out of some flak that Voodoo Rage seems to be the only A Guy Called Gerald track allowed on 6.

Inner City Life is the only track Goldie ever recorded. 6Music Factoid.

I get why they'd only play these tracks on the radio by those artists because you'd be playing some pretty hard D&B if you went for a quality alternate, having said that you don't have to dig too deep to find some good UK house from '88 or D&B from '94 that would sound great.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 25, 2021, 01:43:40 PM
Inner City Life is the only track Goldie ever recorded. 6Music Factoid.

Don't they ever play Mother then?

Sebastian Cobb

I thought Terminator was their 'harder' backup when Inner City Life wasn't hitting the spot.

shiftwork2

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on July 25, 2021, 01:04:45 PM
There's definitely daytime 6 Music 'house style' at the moment when it comes to new stuff - that robotic electro style with emotionless spoken words like Wet Leg or that one about the little girl who's lost her dolly.

Either that or the singers from Squid/Mush/whoever having their nuts crushed.

Ah Wet Leg have been absolutely caning it the last few weeks.  It was so uninvolving I assumed it was the last one, Dry Cleaning, but no, they're different.