Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:07:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Unless you're listening to Riley's show, the only '60s garage rock bangers according to 6 Music are Louie Louie by The Kingsmen and Have Love Will Travel by The Sonics.

It's not as if I expect to hear obscure wall-to-wall Nuggets and Pebbles on 6 Music, that's not what it's for, but really.

Quote from: shiftwork2 on July 25, 2021, 06:50:50 PM
Ah Wet Leg have been absolutely caning it the last few weeks.  It was so uninvolving I assumed it was the last one, Dry Cleaning, but no, they're different.

Don't forget "I Do This All The Time" by Self Esteem as well. Hearing that multiple times a day was torturous.

Even groups like the Super Furries - who feel like a quintessential 6 Music act - only ever get the same two songs played, despite them having at least a dozen singles that your average listener would lap up.

See also: Public Enemy. According to 6 Music they only ever recorded two songs: Harder Than You Think and Don't Believe The Hype.

Still, the Craig Charles announcement is good news. Not least because it annoys the dozens of bald men who appear in the comments of every 6 Music Facebook post because they think Radcliffe and Maconie should be on 12 hours a day.

non capisco

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 24, 2021, 05:47:22 PM
Also they played All Night Long by Lionel Ritchie the other day. Hang on, this is a bit Radio 2, a bit SmoothFM. WTF??
But wait, phew, they're actually playing the live version from the Glastonbury legacy section. Thank god, they validated it with the musk of indie cool. Everything is balanced again.

It's full title always makes me laugh when I think about it. 

'All Night Long (All Night)'.

What's the song about again, Lionel?

Also Wet Leg are a load of furrrrkin tripe.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on July 25, 2021, 08:13:47 PM
Don't forget "I Do This All The Time" by Self Esteem as well. Hearing that multiple times a day was torturous.
You mean "Sunscreen" by Baz Luhrman.

the science eel

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 25, 2021, 08:21:23 PM
Still, the Craig Charles announcement is good news. Not least because it annoys the dozens of bald men who appear in the comments of every 6 Music Facebook post because they think Radcliffe and Maconie should be on 12 hours a day.

I know they co-present but they're very different DJs. Radcliffe is the best radio host since Peel, and Maconie is a humourless pretentious old git who mispronounces every foreign name - and even TRANSLATES some, unnecessarily ("...and that's on Zuckerzeit, 'sugar time' "). He's an embarrassment.

Sebastian Cobb

Sometimes get Castaways - Liar Liar, you know, off of Nuggets Lock Stock.

I think Leila Moss sat in one of the Sunday afternoon shows (either Garvey or Jarvis) and played a load of garage rock as well as some other stuff.

You mean "C U When U Get There" by Michael Barrymore featuring Remission: https://youtu.be/l_bIaF7P9WA

Disclaimer: Self Esteem is brilliant and so is I Do This All The Time, but we all know that stuff on the A list gets played far too much.

I'm intrigued by the science eel's praise for Mark Radcliffe. I loved Mark and Lard, but it's Riley who's the more knowledgable and entertaining presenter these days.

matjam13

@BBC6MusicBot on Twitter tweets out every song that 6Music plays during the day, I'd recommend following it.

Quote from: matjam13 on July 25, 2021, 11:56:19 PM
@BBC6MusicBot on Twitter tweets out every song that 6Music plays during the day, I'd recommend following it.

And if you search Twitter for from:BBC6MusicBot "x" where x = artist's name then you'll see that my Super Furries and Public Enemy claim is complete nonsense.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 25, 2021, 10:55:39 AM
I could happily never hear Race the Devil ever again, and it's something that I enjoy.

Girlschool or Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps?

poodlefaker

I'm sure Tom Ravenscroft's a nice enough lad, but he didn't get the job because of his sparkling presentation style, did he?

Sebastian Cobb

I don't think he feels he needs one and that the music should do most of the talking. This is most exemplified when when he sits in for daytime dj's and fails to hide his distain for their 'engagement' features as he plods through them in the most perfunctory manner imaginable.

The Roofdog

I like Ravenscroft but it's a bit nuts they give him those fill-in gigs

poodlefaker

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 26, 2021, 10:36:18 AM
I don't think he feels he needs one and that the music should do most of the talking.

I don't think he feels he needs one because his dad was John Peel.

the science eel

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 26, 2021, 10:19:58 AM
I'm sure Tom Ravenscroft's a nice enough lad, but he didn't get the job because of his sparkling presentation style, did he?

Not one bit.

Mind you his dad was similarly low-key and unenthusiastic, I'm not really sure what this kid lacks. He does sound kinda drippy for sure. His dad had a wee bit more attack or something.

gilbertharding

Like his dad did all those adverts... remember when Ravenscroft did the voice for that holiday company advert?

"Take us aWAY with you..." and that was the best take, apparently.

Endicott

Quote from: Endicott on July 26, 2021, 06:14:58 PM
Kid critics! AGGGGHH!

There's a man standing next to a window...oooh look, he's climbing through the window...I hope he doesn't hurt himself...

mobias

That bloody song about being on chaise longue all day long is the more irritating ear worm 6 Music have endlessly played since the Sleaford Mods sang about chicken in a basket.

Quote from: mobias on July 27, 2021, 08:43:24 AM
That bloody song about being on chaise longue all day long is the more irritating ear worm 6 Music have endlessly played since the Sleaford Mods sang about chicken in a basket.

That song has the same level of repetitive irritability as Lil Pump - Gucci Gang.

Jockice

it's just been on!

Sebastian Cobb

The nadir of this was a breif period when I was driving to work and they were absolutely caning Van Goffy, think it was the same year Courtney Barnett was everywhere as well (although she's ok, just got overplayed).

I kind of look on that period a bit like how when you go on holiday and all the cafe's and bars seem to be tuned to VH1 and eventually there's one or two songs that keep getting rinsed so they remind you of that holiday when you see the video/hear the song.

AllisonSays

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 26, 2021, 10:19:58 AM

I like it. He's there to play interesting records and book interesting guests, which he consistently does, and there's a certain charm in his awkward bumblingness (although it is undoubtedly the charm of the English aristocracy and its epigones). He's a truly appalling interviewer, just terrible, but that also brings some interest, perhaps slightly more for me than the 6 Music house style of over-friendly emoting and enthusing.

Endicott

Quote from: AllisonSays on July 27, 2021, 12:26:15 PM
I like it. He's there to play interesting records and book interesting guests, which he consistently does, and there's a certain charm in his awkward bumblingness (although it is undoubtedly the charm of the English aristocracy and its epigones). He's a truly appalling interviewer, just terrible, but that also brings some interest, perhaps slightly more for me than the 6 Music house style of over-friendly emoting and enthusing.

I agree with this. The low key style is what I want from a presenter. And he can't be a worse interviewer than Steve Lamacq, surely? I didn't think that was humanly possible.

crankshaft

Quote from: Endicott on July 27, 2021, 01:00:19 PM
And he can't be a worse interviewer than Steve Lamacq, surely? I didn't think that was humanly possible.

Liz Kershaw's interviews make Lamacq sound like Parkinson.

George Oscar Bluth II

Honestly quite interesting going from a weekends when I'm in pottering around and maybe evenings listener to 6 pre-pandemic to now, having it on all day working from home. Could probably do the whole of "I do this all the time" by Self Esteem if needed, despite never having actively sought it out.

Pauline Walnuts

I turned on Radio 6 on at the weekend, got the end of the Cerys Mathews show who's really loosing her accent, but the music was fine, I guess. It was followed by a feature on The Sleasford Mods.

Click.

poodlefaker

Quote from: AllisonSays on July 27, 2021, 12:26:15 PM
I like it. He's there to play interesting records and book interesting guests,

He's there because he's John Peel's son.

iamcoop

I was hoping for Jamz Supernova to take that slot as her Saturday show is great but I guess it might be a touch too Radio 1-ish and exciting for 6music's Crouch End centrist demographic.

I'm happy with Charles but he's already got a few other shows on there and I was looking forward to a fresh injection of some new voices.

I'm glad Amy Lamé is now in the bin and Iggy's taste and husky tones are perfect for early Sunday evening.