Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:55:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicory

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on July 31, 2021, 07:38:26 PM
Hard to believe that the same gent responsible for "Dismantled King is Off the Throne" and "Primitive Painters" is reduced to grunting the likes of that out.

It would be about 20% less crap if he bothered to list different names or things other than sodding John Peel, Mark E Smith and Rough Trade every time the spoken bit comes around.  It's like an Adam and Joe Song Wars effort minus the talent.

Catalogue of ills

Quote from: the science eel on July 27, 2021, 10:09:55 PM
He had a very agreeable manner, something about his voice. It's not easy to pinpoint exactly what it was, but I often talk to people of my age who say the same thing. He really did feel like an old friend chatting to you.

Peel had an approachability about him that I'm sure is very much frowned upon on in our corporate era of broadcasting. Exemplified, to my mind, by the fact that he got to wondering what the number was for the mysterious telephone that sat unused in his studio, managed to find out, and then gave it out on one of his shows (this was in the Monday-Friday years). I heard that show, wrote the number down, and would sometimes call him and have a chat during his show - about music, cricket, or whatever really. Sometimes he'd go 'hang on a minute, I need to put another record on' and then come back on the phone. For a 16 year old living in semi-rural suburbia this was absolutely thrilling. Looking back, I can only salute Peel's patience and generosity - it's hard to imagine he got an awful lot out of such conversations, but presumably indulged me (and others). Either that or he was bored out of his mind, and was wanking or flicking the Vs while talking.

When Lauren Laverne first started on 6 Music I felt a similar approachability, but it seems they kick that out of you sharpish. Peel was the last one they let get away with any level of non-conformism. That's probably a big reason why I am happy to have Tom Ravenscroft's anti-style on the BBC, because it feels like he's not really playing the game properly.

Sebastian Cobb

Jamz doing a garage-themed show with Dj Spoony today.

tinner777

what will  Kearney's last song be??

Goldentony

midnight dynamos by matchbox if rumours are anything to go by

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: tinner777 on September 06, 2021, 05:29:10 PM

Anti-Nowhere League's 'So What'

Sunn o))) Flight of the Behemoth

The whole thing.

chveik

I've been trying Radmac again, after having gone off them last year. I'm finding that they're engaging for the first hour but are then just watching the clock while phoning it in.

Sirius XMU (university radio in the US) is far more passionately and carefully curated, not this automatic pilot stuff.

Sebastian Cobb

I reckon keaveny should part with Fat's Domino's Aint that a Shame, because it's a banger and also because it's not a shame and this would be perfect fit given the dreary irony his show is steeped in.

ElTwopo

Quote from: tinner777 on September 06, 2021, 05:29:10 PM

Organ2/ASLSP (As Slow as Possible) by John Cage

Red Lantern

Take This Job and Shove It would be a fitting sign-off. The boring original version by Johnny Paycheck would fit well with his hangdog schtick, rather than considerably better Dead Kennedys cover.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Red Lantern on September 06, 2021, 10:49:53 PM
Take This Job and Shove It would be a fitting sign-off. The boring original version by Johnny Paycheck would fit well with his hangdog schtick, rather than considerably better Dead Kennedys cover.

As long as we're all agreed he's definitely not cool enough to be playing Biz Markie's Shove this Jay-oh-bee.

John Cage's 4:33, followed by Hah!

Sebastian Cobb

Both Maconie and Lauren Laverne have played 4:33 on 6 music apparently. Maconie (or perhaps his producer) had the foresight to have the BBC engineers disable the emergency tape, Laverne embarrassingly for her, didn't.

shiftwork2

Ha, 'emergency' tape.  Dead air is a crime.

Pauline Walnuts

Didn't Mogwai in session set off the dead air tape twice?

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 06, 2021, 08:38:02 PM
I've been trying Radmac again, after having gone off them last year. I'm finding that they're engaging for the first hour but are then just watching the clock while phoning it in.

Sirius XMU (university radio in the US) is far more passionately and carefully curated, not this automatic pilot stuff.

KCRW is a similarly excellent university radio station.

tinner777

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on September 07, 2021, 06:48:42 AM
John Cage's 4:33, followed by Hah!
think he did the engineer trick today for the laughs, can't remember the song before as was busy at work. The fucker continues to ignore my request of a John Shuttleworth song for the one before 1:30, surely two margarines on the go is the perfect lunch time song

Camp Tramp

Keaveney is just embarrassing himself.

Quote from: Camp Tramp on September 10, 2021, 03:58:19 PM
Keaveney is just embarrassing himself.
Just a normal programme, then?  What was his much-vaunted last track?

ElTwopo

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on September 10, 2021, 04:22:24 PM
Just a normal programme, then?  What was his much-vaunted last track?

We've Only Just Begun by The Carpenters

Norton Canes

shiftwork2

That's a disgruntled-at-being-sacked choice.  Was he?  He seems to have some kind of presence on R4.

Pauline Walnuts

Pauline Walnuts

Does he normally do that fading the music... ...Down a bit... ...so He... ...Say a few words... ...over... ...the... ...mus... ...ic...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on September 10, 2021, 06:33:07 PM
OMG, I think they're all final songs:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000zdyz
'all' might be a bit charitable, they've clearly ran out of steam and padded things out.

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 10, 2021, 06:12:31 PM
That's a disgruntled-at-being-sacked choice.  Was he?  He seems to have some kind of presence on R4.

Yep, apparently he gave the game away that he has been. Oops.

Did anyone really doubt it?

iamcoop

It was amusing when he announced the details of his new podcast on Twitter which appears to be exactly the same format as a different one. Almost all of the replies in the thread were just "that's already been done Shaun."

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on September 10, 2021, 10:32:01 PM
Yep, apparently he gave the game away that he has been. Oops.

Did anyone really doubt it?

"It IS possible to have a good resignation, you know!"