Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:34:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Minor 6 Music Shake-Up

Started by Sebastian Cobb, April 03, 2021, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: iamcoop on September 10, 2021, 10:34:52 PM
It was amusing when he announced the details of his new podcast on Twitter which appears to be exactly the same format as a different one. Almost all of the replies in the thread were just "that's already been done Shaun."
Well he's always got Dinner Winner, Birthday Boulevard, What's The Best Thing That's Happened To You Today, yer bits yer bobs yer any other business, "it's 17 minutes to 6 minutes past 3", "ooh Percy, gerroff me woman" OH FUCKOFF FUCKOFF FUCKOFF to keep him going.

Sebastian Cobb

Cery Matthews is co-presenting a film-based music show on Radio 4:

Add To Playlist
A new music programme co-hosted by Cerys Matthews and Jeffrey Boakye

Music fans get a new show with Add To Playlist presented by broadcaster and singer songwriter Cerys Matthews and writer, teacher and broadcaster Jeffrey Boakye. Each week the presenters and guests will build a playlist track by track, connecting each track to the next with their own knowledge of musicology, music history and a touch of serendipity.

The series will tease out the connections between pieces of music as Cerys, Jeffrey and their guests surprise each other with their music choices and compete with each other to line up the next track, deepening our understanding of music we already know and discovering new pieces to enjoy. Songwriters, musicians, music writers and commentators will be on hand to unpack the rhythms, key signatures, and chord progressions that help the music tell its stories.

Cerys Matthews, co-host of Add To Playlist, says: "I'm looking forward to launching Radio 4's brand new music series with Jeffrey. It's going to be an open-armed celebration of music across genres and eras; we'll journey amidst the backstories of these compositions, hearing how they came to be, and how they may interconnect. It'll be a voyage of discovery and I hope listeners will enjoy the ride, and maybe expand their own personal playlists too."

Jeffrey Boakye, co-host of Add To Playlist, says, "I'm absolutely thrilled to be taking part in this series, which I know is going to be incredibly special. Cerys and I both share such a deep love of music, and this is the perfect platform for us to bring this passion to BBC Radio 4 listeners. 'Excited' doesn't even begin to cover it. I can't wait to share what we've been working on."

There's some new film and arts programming to go along with them, will create a more relevant thread somewhere for those bits:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/radio-4-new-arts-shows

Das Reboot

Be careful what you wish for... Hawkins is doing the afternoon slot for a "few weeks". Today he's interviewing some twat who's written a book wanging on about Oasis at Knebworth. FFS.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Das Reboot on September 13, 2021, 02:43:40 PM
Be careful what you wish for... Hawkins is doing the afternoon slot for a "few weeks". Today he's interviewing some twat who's written a book wanging on about Oasis at Knebworth. FFS.

He sounds like he is masturbating about the majesty of Oasis.

Nauseating.

earl_sleek

I quite like The Hawk, but he's not suitable for afternoon,.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Camp Tramp on September 13, 2021, 03:30:41 PM
He sounds like he is masturbating about the majesty of Oasis.

Nauseating.

I think he may have genuinely been the most uninteresting man in the world.  It was teeth-grindingly bad, just peak, peak tedium.  And I had it on for five minutes driving home.

"Finally they were singing about something relevant to the younger generation; they were actually singing about cigarettes...and alcohol"

tinner777

anyone worth listening to at this time??

shiftwork2

Anne Frankenstein has been superb these last couple of weeks in the Chris Hawkins slot.  Hopefully she'll become a regular.

Das Reboot

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 23, 2021, 01:06:44 PM
Anne Frankenstein has been superb these last couple of weeks in the Chris Hawkins slot.  Hopefully she'll become a regular.

Yes! I'd say get her in for Hawkins in the afternoon and pension him off to Radio Shropshire, pronto. I cannot abide that buffoon. And to put that in some perspective: I didn't actually mind Keaveny.

Sebastian Cobb

Isn't Craig Charles supposed to be taking over Keavney's slot?

Yes he is, but for some reason there's two(three?) week gap in the schedule which Hawkins is currently filling in for. God only knows why, it's not like Keaveny leaving wasn't announced months ago.

Norton Canes

Today is '1991 Day' on 6Music, for those of you not getting enough of a 1991 fix from the BBC Four Top of the Pops repeats.

The Mollusk

Ooh I hope they play Smells Like Teen Spirit!! ALL DAY

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on September 23, 2021, 03:30:25 PM
Yes he is, but for some reason there's two(three?) week gap in the schedule which Hawkins is currently filling in for. God only knows why, it's not like Keaveny leaving wasn't announced months ago.

Charles very recently tested positive for covid and has been self-isolating. He's also said he's had trouble breathing, so unlikely to be able to be phoning it in (literally).

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 23, 2021, 01:06:44 PM

She's a monster in the world of broadcasting.

Sorry.

Das Reboot

I think you'll  find she's the creator of the monster of broadcasting...

Pauline Walnuts

That did cross my mind, but I couldn't make the joke work.

No trust me, it was even worse when I tried.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 24, 2021, 09:12:27 AM
Today is '1991 Day' on 6Music, for those of you not getting enough of a 1991 fix from the BBC Four Top of the Pops repeats

Scrutiny of the day's playlist reveals no plays for Front 242's 'Rhythm of Time' or indeed anything from the Tyranny (For You) album, so fuck 'em.

phantom_power

Nevermind, Trompe Le Monde and The Low End Theory being released on the same day. That is some triumvirate

DrGreggles

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 24, 2021, 09:12:27 AM
Today is '1991 Day' on 6Music

That's because today is the 30th anniversary of 1991.

Sebastian Cobb

I hope next year they just play shitloads of Utah Saints.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on September 23, 2021, 03:30:25 PM

Radio bods don't like to replace a long running show directly with their successor if they can avoid it. Eg when Greg James replaced Nick Grimshaw on Radio 1 Breakfast there was a gap of a week or two between them.

Das Reboot

Just stumbled upon bonus Nemone, sitting in for Lamé this afternoon.

Quote from: Das Reboot on September 26, 2021, 04:19:53 PM
Just stumbled upon bonus Nemone, sitting in for Lamé this afternoon.

Also Ezra Furman sitting in for Guy Garvey - not a John Martyn or Kate Bush track in sight.  Result!

Chicory

Chris Hawkins always sounds like a man who's just met his girlfriend's very conservative parents for the first time but he's also desperate for a piss and too petrified to excuse himself.

shiftwork2

Some berk in his slot this morning.  I'll say it again, can we have Anne Frankenstein back please?  That way I don't feel the need to drop kick my radio out of the window.

gilbertharding

What's this shit about fans of Keavney forcing the BBC to make a statement about his sacking leaving of his own accord?

Did he really end his last show with the words "...and I really want to put the record straight at this point and I thought you ought to know – changes are being made here which go against my principles and I just cannot agree with them..."? If not, why not?

phantom_power

Was it maybe a DLT pisstake/homage?

He didn't quote DLT (I would've respected him a lot more if he had), just "accidentally" dropped in that he'd been sacked during his farewell speech -e.g. "...when I was told I would be leaving,"