Author Topic: What Scorsese Movie Has The Most Black People It?  (Read 1871 times)

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
Re: What Scorsese Movie Has The Most Black People It?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2021, 05:17:50 PM »
I had no idea this was some talking point. I was watching Hugo last night, set in 30s Paris, and noticed that even with the time period, there might be some black people milling around Gare du Nord, but there weren't. Not a big deal to me really.

chveik

• OPEN THE PUBS BOYS
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2021, 05:28:08 PM »
Really it was a pretty self obsessed era wasn't it? Allen had some female roles of substance I spose but it was mostly white mens angst from Easy Rider onwards.

Scorsese's Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore is actually quite the feminist film (far more than yer Captain Marvel and the like anyway).

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2021, 05:31:46 PM »
Yeah that's a good point actually, he is the only one still operating with any kind of visibility. I suspect that it is because of the Marvel thing that it's become such a internet talking point though, as I remember quite a bit of chatter in various publications (not good ones) at the time he made his initial offhand statements where people posited that if Scorsese is taking it upon himself to shit on examples of poc and feminine excellence like Black Panther and Captain Marvel, why doesn't he do the work and support more filmmakers from diverse ethnic backgrounds? All this despite the existence of Scorsese's World Cinema Project, in which he does exactly that and more.

He just doesn't like superhero films so it's a non-starter for him really. For someone with such a vast love and knowledge of world cinema though, I'm bewildered by some of Scorsese's comments. I read one where he said he couldn't watch more than one episode of The Sopranos because he couldn't relate to it.

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2021, 05:34:38 PM »
It's of no consequence to me that Scorsese doesn't personally like the most popular, financially successful, widely seen and culturally dominant films in the world right now, and it's far more bewildering to me that this seems to be of consequence to anybody at all.

Old Nehamkin

• You won, Jane.
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2021, 05:38:41 PM »
Scorsese's Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore is actually quite the feminist film (far more than yer Captain Marvel and the like anyway).

Another advantage that Alice... has over Captain Marvel is that it is not a propaganda piece for the United States Air Force.

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2021, 06:09:46 PM »

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2021, 06:54:33 PM »
I can't think of many (any) black people in Woody Allen's films. Ditto David Lynch. And Spielberg.

More of a broader industry issue, rather than it being solely Scorcese's fault. Not that I'm trying to play the problem down.

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2021, 06:56:51 PM »
And Spielberg.

Colour Purple and Amistad.

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2021, 07:23:03 PM »
I can't think of many (any) black people in Woody Allen's films.

Deconstructing Harry had a prominent black character and Chiwetel Ejiofor had a major role in Melinda and Melinda, but I can't think of any others.  There was a bit of a fuss around the time of Hannah and her Sisters because the only black people visible in the film were the servants in Hannah's apartment but there was no great outrage.  I remember Spike Lee commenting on it, but really he did only that: comment on it.

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2021, 02:37:23 AM »
Gangs of New York

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2021, 09:17:46 AM »
D'Angelo Barksdale is in Gangs of New York as a very three dimensional, fleshed out character.

(EDIT: hit reply at the end of page one without seeing the post above)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:12:33 PM by Waking Life »

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2021, 11:26:54 AM »
Edit: wrong thread

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2021, 11:27:20 AM »
Edit: wrong thread

dammit. the crazy to work here sign, wrong thread, too late to edit

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2021, 04:42:31 PM »
One of these days you're gonna get organisized 😄

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2021, 09:37:43 AM »
I can't think of many (any) black people in Woody Allen's films. Ditto David Lynch. And Spielberg.

More of a broader industry issue, rather than it being solely Scorcese's fault. Not that I'm trying to play the problem down.

I think a lot of artists just tell their own stories. I think the bigger problem is the lack of black directors being allowed to tell their stories and the lack of black executives greenlighting films.

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2021, 12:08:47 PM »
Just watched this clip from Raging Bull and at the end a big black guy comes up to congratulate Jake as he's being awarded the championship belt.  Haven't seen the full film for years but I don't think he appears again, though his prominent placing in the scene suggests that we - and certainly Jake - should know who he is.  A former champion maybe.  Perhaps a related scene was cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1jf7HM-k8g

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2021, 01:04:19 AM »
Deconstructing Harry had a prominent black character and Chiwetel Ejiofor had a major role in Melinda and Melinda, but I can't think of any others.  There was a bit of a fuss around the time of Hannah and her Sisters because the only black people visible in the film were the servants in Hannah's apartment but there was no great outrage.  I remember Spike Lee commenting on it, but really he did only that: comment on it.

And don't forget Sweet and Lowdown, which had many (though few of them were any kind of major character, if memory serves).

Petey Pate

• Silver Member
  • no u
    • SKLD
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2021, 01:06:29 PM »

Take the Money and Run has some minor parts for black men as convicts.

Speilberg also cast Scatman Crothers in his awfully saccharine segment of the 1983 Twilight Zone movie.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2021, 01:46:38 PM »
Woody Allen had this bit from Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex

https://youtu.be/nM3fglmaRrA?t=95

St_Eddie

• St_Eddie's YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2021, 02:03:01 PM »
Take the Money and Run has some minor parts for black men as convicts.

Black men portrayed as criminals.

Speilberg also cast Scatman Crothers in his awfully saccharine segment of the 1983 Twilight Zone movie.

Literally the magical negro trope.

Two great examples of representation, there.  *cough*

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 03:59:06 AM »
Another advantage that Alice... has over Captain Marvel is that it is not a propaganda piece for the United States Air Force.

I keep seeing this but it's a terrible take. The Air Force is shown throughout as a sexist institution in which women are bullied and sidelined, and the plot of the film as a whole is anti-imperialist.

And I say this as someone who isn't a fan of the film as a whole.

« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 10:15:18 AM »
I keep seeing this but it's a terrible take. The Air Force is shown throughout as a sexist institution in which women are bullied and sidelined, and the plot of the film as a whole is anti-imperialist.

And I say this as someone who isn't a fan of the film as a whole.

The US military major concern usually isn't with the morals portrayed in films. They would be far more worried if the film portrayed military service as being boring or extremely inept militarily.

Happy to take some Liberal pandering in movies if they feel it is able to help recruitment for other reasons.

Tags: