Author Topic: Gardening thread 2021  (Read 2779 times)

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
Re: Gardening thread 2021
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2021, 07:17:40 PM »
The good thing about planting tulips deep is that it can extend their lives.  Tulips are usually pretty short lived and tend to continue longer if deeply planted (I don't know why).  Thanks for the kind words.

DolphinFace

• Put it in me
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2021, 08:38:05 PM »
My garden is going for it at the minute. All the usual perennials coming through plus everything I've planted this year is looking great. There, I've cursed it all now. I'm still absolutely loving this slow pace of life. Get up, water everything in the morning with a cup of coffee in hand. Sit down, relax, repeat.

touchingcloth

« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2021, 10:05:03 AM »
We’ve got seedlings planted for the horta in the garden. They’re mainly things which are more expensive to buy or harder to find in the shops (artichokes, squashes, chillies, radishes, ugly tomatoes), greens (various lettuces, rocket, cabbages), misc. (sweetcorn, broad beans, peas), and some sacrificial marigolds to hopefully attract the slugs and snails.

I’m not looking forward to the weeding that’s needed before they’re planted out, but we seem to have successfully made the 10m3 of compost we need for it over the past few months, so it’s going to be rewarding spreading that stuff out as my shoulders hated me for having to turn the damn stuff so often.

The first shoots are starting to appear in the herbs we’ve potted by the kitchen:

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2021, 03:46:01 PM »
THE HOPS HAVE SPROUTED!!

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2021, 05:19:02 PM »
I like coming into this thread and tending to it.

You’ll have to zoom right in there, but there’s two unmistakable red/green hop vines coming up. Very exciting.

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2021, 05:20:24 PM »
The hop thing's really exciting.  Never grown 'em myself. 

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2021, 05:23:59 PM »
The hop thing's really exciting.  Never grown 'em myself.

Neither have I - from what I’ve read, “loads of sun” and these fuckers are on my deck facing south so let’s see!

There’s loads of stuff on the internet by middle aged men with beards[1] about maximizing lupulin oil yields and that type of thing but obviously I haven’t bothered with any of that. If I grow a single hop, I will be delighted.

B - I still haven’t got those beans in the ground yet. Must do that this weekend, they’re getting huge and blocking out the window...
 1. trust me, I can tell

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2021, 11:19:50 PM »
Onions sprouting, and all that guerrilla gardening I did in the central verge is bearing fruit (well, garlic).

Here’s an ignorant question - when a plant gets leaves, does it grow faster? I think my hop plants are a bit behind, but they’ve just got two leaves in the last day or so and I’m wondering if that means they’ll rocket up due to (checks GCSE biology textbook) photosynthesis? Or if they’ve got roots out there collecting nutrients etc will leaves make a difference.

What make plant grow? Is leaf? Or is root?

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2021, 12:19:37 AM »
Oh go on then, here they are:

Bonus wonky garlic:

Buelligan

• STOP being afraid
« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2021, 05:58:03 AM »
Leaf and root, man, leaf and root.  For most, there are some, a very few, who use other peoples' roots - saw some Orobanche[1] growing on the mountain yesterday, but they're the exception, for most, root and leaf.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orobanche

ZoyzaSorris

• Brimming with innards
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2021, 08:54:09 AM »
Yeah both are needed in equal proportion - well if you have to have an excess of one, more roots is what you want, as too much leaf and not enough root results in too much evaporation and not enough water coming in - wilting and eventually death. This is why usually one gets rid of most of the leaves when making a cutting.

Have a bunch of ivy broomrapes on the banks of the stream behind the back fence . Very strange things

Tags: