Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:07:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gardening thread 2021

Started by Ferris, April 05, 2021, 02:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

We get to name the beer, OK? That's the deal.

Ferris

I'm ok with that. These are chinook hops, if that helps with the name.

Edit: with picture. That bag is about 3 cones deep, I'd guess close to 300 cones total.

Ferris

holyzombiejesus

Identify a weed for me please. Should have taken a photo but pulled them all up now. Quite shallow root so very easy to pull up. Leaves a little like coriander on a red stem. About 8 stems or radials coming off central bit where roots are.

Buelligan

This is a difficult question, given no knowledge of the bigness, habit, location, flower or smell, however, my top guess is Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum), though there are many other contenders that spring to mind including - Lovage (Levisticum officinale) which has early on red stems but will have fairly powerful roots or even Hairy Bittercress (Cardamine hirsuta).  Is it Herb Robert, HZJ?

Herb fucking Robert, a fairly pungent thing

holyzombiejesus

I think it may well be. Are the stems like spokes and is it quite a low lying plant? Not noticed them before this year and now they're all over the place. Same happened with horsetail a few years back. Herb Robert is a million times easier to pull up though.

Buelligan

Heheh, yes they all come out of a central thingy, a bit like spiders' legs only red and quite strongly scented. 

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks!

ZoyzaSorris

Spreads like mad but is an annual and as you say very easy to remove should you want to, so not really much of an issue I dont think. Unlike the bindweed and green alkanet which is nigh on impossible to get rid of. I actually like both in moderation but I don't want my whole garden covered so we have to mutually accept a state of permanent low-level conflict.