Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:52:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Slide Guitar

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, July 13, 2005, 07:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

Hello. Anyone here play slide guitar? I've been practising a wee bit with a slide after seeing Jack White's bladdy stunning slide solo he did before Death Letter on the Glasto coverage, (he does it also on the Blackpool DVD). It's really good fun, after a few mins of practising you get the hang of it and it sounds lovely. Here's a tab for his solo (it's not mine) (copy and paste into notepad):
play with slide
|--3~-3\2-0-3/5-3-0-8\3p0-2/3-2/3\2-0---------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------|

|--------12~~~~~~~~~----------3---3/5-------------|
|-10/12---------------------------3/5-------------|
|-10/12-----------------0-2/3-----3/5-------------|
|-------------------------------------------------|

|--3/2-0-3/5-3-0-3-0-3/5-3\2-0-3\2-0--------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------|

|-12~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~----------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------|

then the louder fast bit comes in with meg hitting the symbol

|----12\3-0-2/3---------------------------------------------------------|
|----12\3-0-2/3-----8\2-0------3----8\2-0-3-3/5-3--0-------3------------|continued
|----12\3-0-2/3------------2/3-------------------------2/3--------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

|---------------------------------------0--------------|
|----8\2--0-------3-----8\2---2/3\2-3/5-0--------------|
|-------------2/3-------------2/3\2-3/5-0--------------|
|---------------------------------------0--------------|
|------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------|

|-------12-----15/14-----------12~~~~~~~---------------------|
|--/12---------15/--13---------------------------------------|
|--/12---------15/------12-----------------------------------|
|--------------------------12--------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------|

this bit i sort of made up:
|---/5\---------------------------5-------------------------------|
|---/5\-------3---------5\3-0-3/5------5\2-0-------3--------------|
|---/5\-----\3-----------------------------------/3-0----3--------|
|-----------------------------------------------------/3----------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------|

|-3\2-0-3\2-0-----15\14---------------12~~~~~~~~~~~~~--------------|
|-3\2-0-3\2-0-----15\---13-----------------------------------------|
|-3\2-0-3\2-0-----15\-------12--11/12------------------------------|
|-----------0------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------0------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------|

im dont have a clue how he does that amazingly fast bit so i made upmy own bit again:

|--/7----------------------------------/5-----------------0------|
|--/7---0--0-3-0-3-0--3/5--0-3-0-3-5---/5---3-2-0----3/---0------|
|--/7----------------------------------/5---3-2-0----3/---0------|
|--/7----------------------------------/5---3-2-0----3/---0------|
|---------------------------------------------------------0------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------|

then it goes 2 the riff

|------------------------------------------------|
|------------3-0-3-3-3-3-3-----------------------|
|------------0-0-0-0-0-0-0-----------------------|
|------------------------------------------------|
|--0-----0---------------------------------------|
|-----3b-----------------------------------------|

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Yeah I play slide, or at least I try to. It's very relaxing (especially during the kind of weather we're having at the minute) and is deceptively simple. It took me an embarrassingly long time to realise that you're not meant to fret the strings, but after that it's great fun.
What kind of slide do you use? I have a metal one which gives a nice zingy tone, but I'd like to try a glass one to hear the difference.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Yay, someone replied! I thought this might sink horribly. I'm completely opposite to you in that I have a glass one and want to try a metal one. The one I own is really nice, the notes are really clear with it, it just sounds lovely. Playing slide is great in that you don't even have to know how to play any song to have fun - just going up and down the fretboard tunelessly still sounds lovely and is really enjoyable. I'm having fun with the Jack White stuff though, that solo and some other Stripes songs with some slide in them. I think I'll get a metal one next time I'm in town, White uses one and the sound he gets is fantastic.

micanio

I've been really struggling with my slide playing - I just can't the hang of it at all. I need to set one of my guitars properly I think. Anyone got any tips.

btw, is that played in standard tuning or is it in any open tuning?

A Passing Turk Slipper

The tab at the top? That's in open tuning, he uses open G I think. Is there any particular problem your having with your slide playing? I'm sure someone can find a decent link to help you.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Setting the strings nice and high definetly helps.

InfiniteFury

Yeah, I'm hopeless with a slide. Someone just said it was great to just play it up and down the frets but I'm doing something seriously wrong because I make it sound like I'm buggering a cat in the spare room.

I know you have to put the slide on the fret bar to the right of the note (from your playing perspective) but that's about it.

Any good tips?

Jemble Fred

Just listen to George Harrison albums incessantly. If you really want to know how it should sound.

TotalNightmare

i have NO idea how to read TABS, can anyone explain how to understand them, it would help me muchly.

Jemble Fred

They'd be no good for a ukulele, because they're all written for six strings. Unless you've either A) started learning the guitar, or B) found some specific ukulele tabs.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"i have NO idea how to read TABS, can anyone explain how to understand them, it would help me muchly.
Ooh, tabs are easy. Each number represents which fret your finger is on, each line represents a string (the top line is the thin E, bottom line thick E). So if you were just going to strum through each string slowly from thick to thin and then back again the tab would look like this:
---------------0----------------
------------0----0-------------
---------0----------0----------
------0----------------0-------
---0----------------------0----
0----------------------------0-
It's quite easy really, if I was to replace all the zero's (which mean you play an open string) with 4s then you would just play all the strings on the fourth fret. There are various other symbols and stuff that are used to show a bend or slide but there are quite a few so I'm not going to write them all here - I'm sure you can google a site which will tell you.

TotalNightmare

that will do me... top !

Paul Dee

I'm crap at slide guitar too. It just doesn't make a nice sounding sound somehow. Although I did nail the intro to Jeff Buckley's 'Last Goodbye' a few times.

Nuts 'n Gum

yup i play it sometimes, at college we did a show at the end of the first year. It was a tribute show to Led Zeppelin (no we didn't wear costumes). we were put into bands (it was a music course!) and assigned five songs. anyway, 2 of the ones that we got were When the Levee Breaks and (Hats Off To) Roy Harper (i think i got the brackets the wrong way round). which required slide playing a lot! was fun although i'm fairly crap at it.
hats off to roy harper was just me solo acoustically which was pretty scary, but it was great fun trying to busk playing slide solo's.
i tend to go all the way up to where i'm playing with my other hand, cos i'm crazy like that.
some stuff just goes right over my head though.

Marty McFly

Quote from: "Paul Dee"I'm crap at slide guitar too. It just doesn't make a nice sounding sound somehow. Although I did nail the intro to Jeff Buckley's 'Last Goodbye' a few times.

you should have your guitar in open tunings for most slide stuff. it won't sound great if you use a slide with standard tuning., if you're playing more than one string at once anyway.

someday i'll learn how to play "sleep walk" by santo and johnny, properly, with a slide. i bought a glass one a few months ago and i've had fun experimenting with it. it's trickier than it looks. i'd like to try a metal slide. or even build up a collection of various ones.

It's generally easier if you have a guitar with a fairly flat radius (i.e. Gibson rather than Fender, in general), otherwise you will have to set you strings really high. If you want to see how it's done, get the Led Zeppelin DVD which came out in 2003. Learn how to play Travelling Riverside blues, and you won't be able to stop playing it:
here