Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 744
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:55:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

At last, new from Lonelady

Started by Norton Canes, April 05, 2021, 11:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

New track from Mancunian artist Julie Campbell aka Lonelady, just out: There Is No Logic . Same fidgety, fretful funk, taut as the Manchester's tram wires and humming with electricity. Been waiting for new stuff from her for ages.

good times

Still undecided on this new track but suspect it may be a grower.

Thought Hinterland was great, solid but creative pop produced beautifully. Was less into Nerve Up which I found a bit post punk by numbers (and a lot of the songs on there had been previously released)

The bricks & slip roads fetishism of the PR & interviews can be a bit wearing but fortunately the lyrics tend to put it across in a fairly poetic, interesting way.

non capisco

Hinterland is a superb album and one which I'm pretty sure I discovered through youse lot. Will check the new one out.

Norton Canes

New album Former Things out 25th June | Another track preview: Fear Colours

Catalogue of ills

I just heard There Is No Logic on the Huey Show - that is very much my kind of thing. Loved it. I was thinking it sounded like it could have been made in NY in the 80s but with a bleep techno edge, and then lo and behold it's on Warp. Gonna have to give the back catalogue a good listen.

Norton Canes

Bump... listened to the album through a couple of times, it's really good. The production is brilliant throughout, very early Cabs/New Order, lots of deep twanging bass, industrial samples, a bit of chiptune type stuff - a perfect complement to the predominant lyrical themes of isolation and a loss of self-identity.

good times

Not listened to the album yet but wasn't particularly excited by any of the singles, and that video for the latest single (with her and the mini me) is just bizarre.

Will give it a spin at some point though, as I rated Hinterland very highly indeed.

Shaky

Quote from: good times on June 30, 2021, 06:49:59 PM
Not listened to the album yet but wasn't particularly excited by any of the singles, and that video for the latest single (with her and the mini me) is just bizarre.

Will give it a spin at some point though, as I rated Hinterland very highly indeed.

Same here. Hinterland was so perfect it might be a one-off.

Catalogue of ills

I agree with Mr Canes that Former Things is very good. She has definitely found a door connecting 80s Manchester, Sheffield and New York, and that is a very good thing. I'm sure there are people who don't hold with this new-music-as-artefact approach, it could be seen as an homage too far, but it's working for me.

sevendaughters

just sounds focus-grouped to Radio 6 playlist fodder, not feeling any of it

good times

It's quite telling that 10 years into the record deal, and for an album 5 years in the making, that most of the positive reviews seem to still be along the lines of 'it sounds like early New Order'

I actually think that is under-selling her music somewhat, as there's a lot more to her best songs than that, and it probably tells you a bit more about the critics than Lonelady.

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make - maybe that everything I read/hear about it makes me not very interested in listening. Sounds like it's gonna be Hinterland part 2, minus guitars.

Also the whole concrete/gravel psychogeography chat surrounding her music is boring as fuck. That's why I was slightly relieved (if also a bit confused) by that Former Things promo vid because it went in a completely in a different direction from that schtick.