Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:50:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

LOKI

Started by Butchers Blind, April 05, 2021, 08:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

One review I read suggested this show has a serious colour problem -
Spoiler alert
the big baddie turns out to be black, two of the TVA baddies are black even if one "turns", even the Loki that turns out to be treacherous is the black one
[close]
.[nb]Adding spoiler block as it's a fucking new page![/nb] However I've not noted any wider outrage online about any of that..?

druss

How many villains have been people of colour across the MCU? Killmonger and.....?

If anything they've been a bit tight in handing out villain roles to people of colour.

touchingcloth

Quote from: druss on July 15, 2021, 06:24:58 PM
How many villains have been people of colour across the MCU? Killmonger and.....?

If anything they've been a bit tight in handing out villain roles to people of colour.

Or roles in general. Most of the POC you see are in Black Panther, and besides Killmonger the worst they get is morally ambiguous - M'Baku and W'Kabi (Daniel Kaluuya) in particular.

Ant Man's gang of prison buds aren't exactly not villains.

In terms of out and our baddies of colour, Jasper Sitwell is the main one I can think of, or the small role played by Djimon Hounsou.  Does Flash from Spider-Man count? Some of Malekith's lot are potentially played by people of colour, though you wouldn't be able to tell under the makeup.

Ben Kingsley was a bait-and-switch supervillain.

Sam Rockwell had quite the fake tan.

Alberon

There's a strong argument that He Who Remains is not a villain.

mothman

It felt quite dubious reasoning to me (but then, I'm a white bloke and rarely notice these things), and, as the assorted examples everyone has provided suggest, potentially incorrect as well..!

C_Larence

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 15, 2021, 06:55:31 PM
Or roles in general. Most of the POC you see are in Black Panther, and besides Killmonger the worst they get is morally ambiguous - M'Baku and W'Kabi (Daniel Kaluuya) in particular.

Ant Man's gang of prison buds aren't exactly not villains.

In terms of out and our baddies of colour, Jasper Sitwell is the main one I can think of, or the small role played by Djimon Hounsou.  Does Flash from Spider-Man count? Some of Malekith's lot are potentially played by people of colour, though you wouldn't be able to tell under the makeup.

Ben Kingsley was a bait-and-switch supervillain.

Sam Rockwell had quite the fake tan.

There's also Mordo in Dr Strange played by Chiwetel Ejiofor.

touchingcloth

Quote from: C_Larence on July 16, 2021, 12:47:02 AM
There's also Mordo in Dr Strange played by Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Yes, I was going to mention him as potentially morally ambiguous.

phantom_power

Quote from: mothman on July 15, 2021, 09:51:05 PM
It felt quite dubious reasoning to me (but then, I'm a white bloke and rarely notice these things), and, as the assorted examples everyone has provided suggest, potentially incorrect as well..!

Yeah I am not sure anyone in Loki has proven themselves to be an out-and-out villain, and the two "heroes" are murderous liars, so I am not sure how you can say that there is a colour problem.

Famous Mortimer

I just started watching it. I'll go back and read the thread when I watch more episodes, but I hope it's answered in some way that calling Loki a villain when these time-folks spend their entire "lives" ensuring that trillions of people live lives of misery and suffering and get raped and murdered and all that, because it's the "sacred timeline", is a bit fucking rich.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 27, 2022, 03:13:57 AMI just started watching it. I'll go back and read the thread when I watch more episodes, but I hope it's answered in some way that calling Loki a villain when these time-folks spend their entire "lives" ensuring that trillions of people live lives of misery and suffering and get raped and murdered and all that, because it's the "sacred timeline", is a bit fucking rich.

I wouldn't worry about it, just another 'time' based sci-fi created by writers with no understanding of any of the concepts. If your going to accept there are infinite other timelines then obviously no amount of work can ever be done to reduce them down to one. If you accept that new timelines can also be created then again no amount of people or things or whatever can reduce infinite divergences (created constantly) down to one. Just accept it for what it is, bit of entertainment, and don't think about the stupid ideas behind it.

Famous Mortimer

@Mr_Simnock , that was some solid advice. I'm now up to the bit where Loki and other Loki are stranded on that planet which is about to blow up (episode 3?) and it's jolly good, helped by Tom Hiddleston being very good.

Famous Mortimer

I've finished the show and read the thread, and the guess about the main "villain" on page 1 was either extraordinary or was already done exactly the same in the comics.

Loki, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the time travel. I enjoyed it for what it was, and after reading the stuff about Marvel and timelines, my brain just went "nah" and shook it all off, just the thought of expending the mental effort to try and understand it became too much. The last scene of the last Loki show will be him going "wipe my memory and take me back to Avengers 1" so I'm just going to watch what we get.

colacentral

Kang is a time travelling villain from the Avengers comics, so as soon as they introduced time travel in Avengers: Endgame, it was obvious he was coming.

Famous Mortimer

For some reason, my brain has him confused with the bloke who wears animal skins. I'm not a huge Marvel comic reader, outside of some early Ultimates and lots of X-Men, so evidently yer man Kang has passed me by.