Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:55:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: First Contact Day (Announcements, Trailers & Panels)

Started by Malcy, April 05, 2021, 09:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

This started a while ago with a teaser for Picard S2.

https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/1379149696728322050

Interested to see where this could go but please be better than last series.

JamesTC

I hope Picard has a big crisis because he can't do a poo or a wee anymore because he is a robot. I hope this time they also don't end up accidentally making all the xenophobes and conspiracy theorists win.

Would be better than shitting all over
Spoiler alert
All Good Things
[close]
which is what they will no doubt end up doing. Oh I bet this whole time
Spoiler alert
he actually loved Q
[close]

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on April 05, 2021, 09:25:42 PM
I hope Picard has a big crisis because he can't do a poo or a wee anymore because he is a robot. I hope this time they also don't end up accidentally making all the xenophobes and conspiracy theorists win.

Would be better than shitting all over
Spoiler alert
All Good Things
[close]
which is what they will no doubt end up doing. Oh I bet this whole time
Spoiler alert
he actually loved Q
[close]

I wonder how long it would take you to realise you couldn't shit anymore.

I'm assuming
Spoiler alert
he'll give him back his real body or help him live with the new one.
[close]

The Nichelle Nichols documentary about her work with NASA is finally getting a release. https://trekmovie.com/2021/04/05/woman-in-motion-nichelle-nichols-documentary-coming-to-paramount/

Malcy

Discovery S4 trailer. Looks like the big bad this time is gravity. Fuck sake.

https://twitter.com/TheTrekCentral/status/1379175354166874114

QuoteSeason four of Star Trek: Discovery finds Captain Burnham and the crew of the U.S.S. Discovery facing a threat unlike any they've ever encountered. With Federation and non-Federation worlds alike feeling the impact, they must confront the unknown and work together to ensure a hopeful future for all.

JamesTC

I hope they shoot gravity with kindness and science and guns.

Deanjam

Quote from: Malcy on April 05, 2021, 09:13:12 PM
This started a while ago with a teaser for Picard S2.

https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/1379149696728322050

Interested to see where this could go but please be better than last series.

Echoey piano music. Voiceover of meaningless words that sound impressive. Slowly building tension [dun!] Visual reference to weighty work of literature than we read in college but didn't understand. Shot of Enterprise model for nostalgia rush. Reference to beloved character to make you excited for the show.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on April 05, 2021, 10:12:35 PM
I hope they shoot gravity with kindness and science and guns.

Bet you Book shares his telepathic powers with Burnham and she ends up finding out it's sentient anti-gravity or some bollocks and kindly asks it to leave. Promotion to Admiral, ships named after her and increased permanent smugness on her face.

Malcy

Quote from: Deanjam on April 05, 2021, 10:18:21 PM
Echoey piano music. Voiceover of meaningless words that sound impressive. Slowly building tension [dun!] Visual reference to weighty work of literature than we read in college but didn't understand. Shot of Enterprise model for nostalgia rush. Reference to beloved character to make you excited for the show.

All very familiar...the road to disappointment!

Malcy

Janeway looking like a skin for a 20 year old PC game. Appearing as the ETH (Emergency Training Hologram).

Malcy

Wonderful Butternut

Wonder will Picard go back to defending humanity from Q's judgment after
Spoiler alert
saying how violent, corrupt and willfully ignorant the human race is in his eulogy about Data at the end of S1
[close]
?

Alberon

Nope, sorry.

I've tried my hardest, but I simply just don't care any more about any of this.

JamesTC

What if they gave Picard a tiny robot willy and the whole season is about the quest for a bigger robot willy? Makes you think.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on April 05, 2021, 11:41:03 PM
What if they gave Picard a tiny robot willy and the whole season is about the quest for a bigger robot willy? Makes you think.

The Search For Cock.

mothman

Is it just me or is Patrick Stewart sounding really like John Gielgud now?

"Ahh, Naggy. Dear, dear Naggy."
"Ahh, Jean-Luc. Dear, dear Jean-Luc."

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Alberon on April 05, 2021, 11:33:56 PM
Nope, sorry.

I've tried my hardest, but I simply just don't care any more about any of this.

I probably could have tried harder but, yeah, new Trek doesn't interest  me in the slightest. Not even sure who it's for any more.

Blumf

Quote from: Malcy on April 05, 2021, 10:30:44 PM
Janeway looking like a skin for a 20 year old PC game. Appearing as the ETH (Emergency Training Hologram).

Looks like Kes.

Picard : Generic trailer shite, and they're going to fuck up Q.
Discovery : Only idiots are still watching that. Stop encouraging them, idiots!!
Lower Decks : Meeeeh.

mothman

Lower Decks turned out to be much better than expected - than it even needed to be, one might say. So as the pleasant surprise of the bunch, I'm prepared to be more optimistic about it than the other two.

There's just one minor niggle I have with it. There seems to be a running joke that all the ships on the show are named after places in the US. They probably think it's charming, but to anyone who isn't American it's just provincial and narrow-minded and exclusionary. Which is apt for a show that I think still can't be seen legally outside the US (or wasn't for a long time).

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on April 06, 2021, 12:55:17 AM
Lower Decks turned out to be much better than expected - than it even needed to be, one might say. So as the pleasant surprise of the bunch, I'm prepared to be more optimistic about it than the other two.

There's just one minor niggle I have with it. There seems to be a running joke that all the ships on the show are named after places in the US. They probably think it's charming, but to anyone who isn't American it's just provincial and narrow-minded and exclusionary. Which is apt for a show that I think still can't be seen legally outside the US (or wasn't for a long time).

I've found the lack of anything other than American accents to be a thing that's annoyed me about current Trek. I think Discovery has had a lot of ships named after scientists and LD seems to be mostly ships named after places in California i read. It's seemed very American-centric in a lot of ways in the past few years. Even down to the way people speak sounding like they're at some party with plastic cups.

I think LD works well because it doesn't take itself so seriously and isn't riddled with misery.

Prodigy has been revealed as being set in 2383(I think), 5 years after Voyager gets home and is set in the Delta Quadrant.

Wonderful Butternut

Pointless speculation on the Picard trailer:

Lingering shot of the Stargazer model, Picard talking about time and the second chances, and Q, I wonder will he be given the opportunity to change something in the past again, like in 'Tapestry'. Probably something that's meant to be really important but has never been mentioned before...

Quote from: Malcy on April 06, 2021, 10:54:34 AM
I've found the lack of anything other than American accents to be a thing that's annoyed me about current Trek. I think Discovery has had a lot of ships named after scientists and LD seems to be mostly ships named after places in California i read. It's seemed very American-centric in a lot of ways in the past few years. Even down to the way people speak sounding like they're at some party with plastic cups.

That's not unique to nuTrek though, majority of the casts of TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT are American and most of the non-Americans have been British or Irish. Even human characters that are meant to be from somewhere other than America or Britain (Picard, La Forge, Bashir?, Hoshi, Seven) are played by an American or British actor.

Continental Europe has fuck all Star Trek characters. Is there a German character anywhere in Star Trek for example? Apart from space Nazis.

Bad Ambassador

JamesTC

With his authentic French accent in that Picard episode.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on April 06, 2021, 01:51:10 PM
Where's Jean-Luc Picard from again?

Any Frenchness in Picard is dead by the end of season 2 of TNG and PatStew took over the development of the character. Picard the character could not be any more British.

That aside, I'd also consider 1 continental European character as being "fuck all" compared 2 - 4 Americans per series.

mothman

Trek's always tried to have its cake and eat it in this regard. They'll pay lip service to a multicultural human race, while presenting it in a very homogenised mainly Anglo-American way. Mainland Europeans have suffered from this, of course, but more pertinently there's never been a major south Asian character (unless you count Bashir), nor I don't think a Chinese or SE Asian one (there have been Japanese and Korean main characters however). Nobody from Oceania? Or South America (half of Be'lanna Torres maybe)? And while I don't have time to crunch the numbers on this, it seems I'm not the only one to have the perception that it's been getting worse.

The ship name thing... whole other kettle of fish! There have been hundreds of Starfleet ship names and ship classes over the years. By and large... they've not been too bad. Maybe a slight tendency towards American-centric names but I wouldn't swear to it without doing research I can't be bothered to do right now.

But...

When DSC started, they introduced a lot of ships in a hurry (at the Battle of the Binary Stars). A LOT of those names and classes referenced people from US aviation history. That appears to have been down to one man, designer John Eaves, who is in my experience a sound bloke so I don't know what THAT'S about.

And then there's LDS. OK, sure, name a ship class after a geographical area, and then name the ships of said class after cities in that area? Sure, why not? What's that you say? You want an AMERICAN area, with AMERICAN cities? What an unprecedented happenstance!

This may be why the ships in PIC were La Sirena, the Curiosity-class USS Ibn Majid and the Inquiry-class USS Zheng He..!

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: mothman on April 06, 2021, 06:55:51 PM
Trek's always tried to have its cake and eat it in this regard. They'll pay lip service to a multicultural human race, while presenting it in a very homogenised mainly Anglo-American way. Mainland Europeans have suffered from this, of course, but more pertinently there's never been a major south Asian character (unless you count Bashir), nor I don't think a Chinese or SE Asian one (there have been Japanese and Korean main characters however). Nobody from Oceania? Or South America (half of Be'lanna Torres maybe)? And while I don't have time to crunch the numbers on this, it seems I'm not the only one to have the perception that it's been getting worse.

Not sure if it's ever confirmed where Bashir is meant to be from. The name is Arabic in origin, but Arabic languages cover a fairly substantial area, and Siddig himself is British/Sudanese.
Moving up to DSC, Georgiou is presumed to be Malaysian given she's played by Michelle Yeoh, who uses her natural accent for the part, although it's not confirmed on screen.

NuTrek has Owosekun and Rios on top of Georgiou, but I think everyone else falls into the Anglo-American cultural bracket.

mothman

Ha, funnily enough I forgot Rios because of all his variously-accented holograms. And Georgiou having a Greek name feels weird, but then the same show has a woman called Michael who was brought up by Vulcans, so..?

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 06, 2021, 01:05:24 PM
Continental Europe has fuck all Star Trek characters. Is there a German character anywhere in Star Trek for example? Apart from space Nazis.

I can see that people on this forum don't like Discovery (it's fine, you can all be wrong if you like), but the Conn officer with the red hair and the cybernetic implant, Detmer, is meant to be German I believe. The actor isn't though, and she doesn't play her with an accent.

Edit: and the lovely Mr Sahil from the latest series of DSC is I believe the first Indian character, and he does have the accent and everything.