Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:12:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Paul Ritter dies

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, April 06, 2021, 11:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Quote from: paruses on April 06, 2021, 08:37:48 PM

Not a Friday Night Dinners watcher but might start.

Do it. It's pretty great. Some of the characters are perhaps a little broad and borderline annoying, but there are plenty of laughs to be had and in amongst the farcical chaos there's a real warmth and clear chemistry between the family members.

Massive respect to Robert Popper for writing all 37 eps without any credited help.

EDIT: New page - Shit on it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Both grannies and the dad gone from that show now ( and the guest- starring John Sessions) :(

Lemming

Gutted, he was inarguably the core of Friday Night Dinner and an amazing comedic talent. He could turn any mundane line into a laugh-out-loud moment through delivery alone. RIP.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 06, 2021, 10:40:37 PM
Both grannies and the dad gone from that show now ( and the guest- starring John Sessions) :(

Mr Morris* endures

*Harry Landis, who was in the first ep of Dixon of Dock Green, fact fans

timebug

Bugger! Ain't no justice in this world. He was excellent in the Beeb 'Hollow Crown' series too,as 'Pistol' a small(ish) role, but he brought it to life and made it special.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 06, 2021, 11:45:41 AM
Actual shit on it :( That's horrible news. Absolutely no age.

Obviously his Martin is one of the funniest comedy characters of the last decade. Note-perfect. He's almost nothing like my dad, and yet he's exactly like him.
Christ.
Keep coming back to this news and just feeling so sad. This is a perfect description, he reminds me of my dad in such weird obscure unexplainable ways.
After only knowing him from Friday Night Dinner I was so excited to see him pop up in Chernobyl, and he really was iconic in that role. Genuinely was so excited to see him in more things.

An tSaoi

Martin is everyone's dad. I think that's why a lot of viewers are so upset. They're as much mourning the character as the actor, and it makes people think about losing their real dads.

So many relatable moments. My dad often goes around the house with his top off because he's "scratchy".

VelourSpirit

Quote from: An tSaoi on April 07, 2021, 08:22:34 PM
Martin is everyone's dad. I think that's why a lot of viewers are so upset. They're as much mourning the character as the actor, and it makes people think about losing their real dads.

So many relatable moments. My dad often goes around the house with his top off because he's "scratchy".
For me it's the way he sort of leans forward when he asks someone to repeat themself, the sort of distant look he does. Similar eyes. Dresses like him too.
I'd like to see other things he did. I thought he was in The Death of Stalin but apparently not! It's a shame The Norman Conquests doesn't seem to have been filmed

An tSaoi

Who did you think he was in Death of Stalin?

He had a moustache in Chernobyl, is that what tripped you up?

An tSaoi

I love this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZphYZdZ6VM

The way he goes from terrified of the wife to angry at the boys, and back again, then incredulous at the price.

It's another thing that reminds me of my dad; he's always looking in the paper for various "men". "We need a man! Do you have the number for the man?"

He leaves the clippings by the phone, and writes HEDGE MAN, ROOF MAN, BOILER MAN etc.

A lot of them are pre-emptive men for problems that haven't happened yet.

Brundle-Fly

The Ombudsman

Quote from: An tSaoi on April 07, 2021, 08:22:34 PM

Certainly see a lot of my father in the character, and I suppose myself too which compounds things.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: An tSaoi on April 08, 2021, 11:16:47 AM
Who did you think he was in Death of Stalin?

He had a moustache in Chernobyl, is that what tripped you up?
I haven't seen The Death of Stalin, I just misremembered him being in the trailer because I conflated two things where English actors play Russians

DigForVictory

It's interesting because there was nothing specific that Martin did that's similar to my dad, in fact my dad is always moaning about how chilly it is, and yet  he still reminded me of my Dad.

Really was a wonderfully funny hugely likeable performance.

paruses

Quote from: TwinPeaks on April 08, 2021, 05:23:32 PM
I haven't seen The Death of Stalin, I just misremembered him being in the trailer because I conflated two things where English actors play Russians

To be fair it really feels like he should have been in The Death of Stalin.