Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

auto-generated music on youtube

Started by weaseldust, April 06, 2021, 12:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weaseldust

how come pretty much every album is on youtube for free on those 'topic' pages? how do musicians feel about it and do they have any choice about it? also do the musicians make much money from those videos?

JesusAndYourBush

Once I was downloading an album from a dodgy Russian download site, and it had three songs missing.  So I went to youtube to see if I could get the missing songs.  I found the album on one of those Topic pages and it had the same three songs missing.  It made me wonder... if the topic pages are sourcing their files from dodgy sites then just how legit are they?
(And the Russian site hadn't got the songs from youtube, because they were in a higher quality.(verified spectrally))

Also, some of the Topic pages have bootlegs as well as official albums.

crankshaft

Quote from: weaseldust on April 06, 2021, 12:38:13 PM
how come pretty much every album is on youtube for free on those 'topic' pages? how do musicians feel about it and do they have any choice about it? also do the musicians make much money from those videos?

They're pushed there by the digital distributors, same as they are to Spotify etc.

El Unicornio, mang

I noticed when I uploaded a music video I made of a song I released on an EP, I got a "copyright claim" on it. Basically because I had CDBaby distributing the song also, which automatically creates a YouTube topic "video" with just the song and cover image, and so when it autoscanned it picked up my video as having used the song. It doesn't matter because I still get any royalties from both videos anyway (0.0001 cents a month or whatever it is). YouTube is very good at identifying songs being used, so unless you're very protective of how your songs are presented I doubt most artists are bothered if there's a load of other videos with the song. It's just more exposure/money.

weaseldust

so it's basically fine then? i don't need to feel guilty about having a youtube playlist which is almost someone's whole discography? what if they're also trying to sell their music on bandcamp?

i've never had to think about this stuff before because i've p much only been listening to obscure 80s music for a while

El Unicornio, mang

I mean, if they don't like it they can request any videos containing their music be taken down. I did a couple of videos for a client that used some old Motown tracks (at their request) and they got copyright claims against them and were made unavailable to view. But I think most artists don't care since they're getting the same money they get if they put the videos up themselves. Kind of like radio stations or films playing someone's music, it's exposure and royalties so generally OK with artists. Obviously some exceptions with the likes of The Beatles who are very strict about where their music is shared.

Sebastian Cobb

There are services that will police youtube/soundcloud etc and fire off things that slip through the contentmatch net.

Although content-matching has got to the point that it's a terrible system and fires off loads of false-positives.
https://www.eff.org/wp/unfiltered-how-youtubes-content-id-discourages-fair-use-and-dictates-what-we-see-online

It's also why you don't really get people reviewing music much on youtube.

Pauline Walnuts

Reviewer: "So I spent 34 minutes reviewing this album, 6 hours crafting the script and 4 hours edited it, but because I included a 5 second clip of one of the songs they get all of the advertising revenue?"

Youtube Algorithm: "Affirmative"

El Unicornio, mang

Along similar lines, I was watching a Fifa 21 video and the person couldn't mention the name of the player Corona because it automatically triggered the Covid-19 de-monetize thing.