Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:29:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Real animal cruelty in mainstream films

Started by holyzombiejesus, April 06, 2021, 02:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Yeah it's horrific. I don't remember, might have been an apple or a ball? Don't really want to watch it again. The sequel Black Sun (about the Nanjing massacre) is maybe even worse.

GoblinAhFuckScary

filums yeah. i still struggle with wake in fright despite loving it so. have really eagerly shown it to some friends having forgotten that kangaroo hunt is even in it, remembering very close to the scene and having to do an awkward rushed content warning. the last time this happened the friend in question was an enormous animal lover who is going to start a pig sanctuary, so i felt awful

darth andy

In Come and See they used live ammunition during filming, and the scene where a cow is machine gunned to death is real, though they apparently used a cow that was already sick, if that's any consolation 

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: darth andy on April 07, 2021, 03:55:39 PM
In Come and See they used live ammunition during filming, and the scene where a cow is machine gunned to death is real, though they apparently used a cow that was already sick, if that's any consolation

Oh yeah, God. The shot with the life seeming to literally drain from its terror-stricken, twitching eye is fucking horrifying.

Once again, when I hear claims like 'it was already sick' I'm immediately struck by the convenience of the producers saying that. How could you prove it?

bgmnts

Unless you're vegan (if you're physically able) then get fucked.

This a grim subject and unironically triggers me (yeah i said triggered get to fuck) but I suppose its good to highlight how fucking disgusting humans are.

darth andy

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on April 07, 2021, 03:58:46 PM
Oh yeah, God. The shot with the life seeming to literally drain from its terror-stricken, twitching eye is fucking horrifying.

Once again, when I hear claims like 'it was already sick' I'm immediately struck by the convenience of the producers saying that. How could you prove it?

Yea it's a weak excuse anyway. It was hardly a quick death!

Not on camera but 27 animals died on the set of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

QuoteThe creatures, including sheep and goats, died of causes including dehydration, exhaustion and drowning.

pretty grim

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on April 07, 2021, 04:13:06 PM
Unless you're vegan (if you're physically able) then get fucked.

Gelatin is used in the creation of film, if you're going down the route of absolutism.

Keebleman

Quote from: Keebleman on April 07, 2021, 02:32:25 PM
Curtiz was the busiest of all major directors during Hollywood's golden age, but there have long been questions about his cruelty to humans, never mind animals.  He was notoriously bullying towards underlings and the following account of a much more serious event is from the Medved Brothers' Hollywood Hall of Shame, about famous box office bombs.  The film in question was Noah's Ark, an early talkie from 1929, that was designed to match Griffith and DeMille for cast-of-thousands spectacle.

I know this is off topic but I have just found this excellent article about this event.  The author has tried hard to find out exactly what happened, but it seems that even at the time stories of deaths and injuries were vague and unsubstantiated.  Nevertheless, he thinks that it is undeniable that something serious occurred.  Not surprising when you see the footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpZdpfsOMfU

madhair60

Don't forget Jack Black in Anchorman kicking that dog off the overpass

studpuppet

Stroszek has a famous bit of animal exploitation (rather than actual cruelty) at the end (the last thing Ian Curtis saw before topping himself, and immortalised in the run-out grooves of Still):

https://youtu.be/bm3B82Q5vhY?t=413

The Wages Of Fear has in it's opening scenes a bunch of insects (locusts?) tied up together, a small mule being ridden and whipped, and one of the characters throwing stones at a dog from close range for absolutely no reason:

https://youtu.be/CVUBLPOGk1k?t=157

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: studpuppet on April 07, 2021, 09:58:13 PM
The Wages Of Fear has in it's opening scenes a bunch of insects (locusts?) tied up together, a small mule being ridden and whipped, and one of the characters throwing stones at a dog from close range for absolutely no reason:

https://youtu.be/CVUBLPOGk1k?t=157

Which reminds me of the kids feeding the Scorpions* to fire ants at the beginning of The Wild Bunch. Probably already mentioned.

*My phone automatically capitalised 'scorpions', which led me to imagine Rudi Schenker with fire ants crawling all over his face, screaming like he did when he had them fork sunglasses, so I left it as is.

Dex Sawash

Chip and Dale are massively cunty toward Donald Duck

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: madhair60 on April 07, 2021, 06:18:52 PM
Don't forget Jack Black in Anchorman kicking that dog off the overpass
This had me struggling to breathe the first time I saw it. It's so funny it was worth killing that dog.

dissolute ocelot

I'm annoyed that Monte Hellman's Cockfighter is effectively banned (certainly in the UK) for reasons given in its title. Penis-fencing is no laughing matter. Obviously I wouldn't endorse cock-fighting but it's treated as a joke in lots of movies, and as mentioned in this thread it's far from the only film to inflict cruelty on animals. They didn't ban Titanic for cruelty to Kate Winslet, and even Twilight Zone: The Movie is still available, so it seems a bit hypocritical when you can still watch loads of films with Spanish-style cow-torture.

holdover

I don't think the lizards pretending to be dinosaurs in the 1959 version of Journey To The Centre Of The Earth have a very good time.

Jerzy Bondov

What about the sharks in Thunderball? I read somewhere they used an already dead shark and towed it around but it came back to life (?!) It really does look like those sharks are getting harpooned for real.

Also Live and Let Die, where he runs on the alligators, I bet they were proper fucked off having some lad on their heads.

Also Skyfall, the CGI komodo dragons, I hope they were unharmed.

privatefriend

There is some fairly dodgy stuff with cats in Bad Boy Bubby, with one feral cat killed for the film. I believe Mark Kermode walked out during a screening because of it.

Good film otherwise.

madhair60

I remember watching a movie where a cat was smashed on the head with an enormous mallet and the cat sort of took on the physical appearance of an accordion and went up and down a bit making accordion noises. It was chilling.

GoblinAhFuckScary

druss

Robin Williams persistently tormented by sentient goo in Flubber.
Twofor, Michael J Fox in Teen Wolf, hit by basketball probably. Can't remember.

Arguably morally justifiable, but, retaliatory violence towards sentient goo in Flubber.

Chedney Honks

At the end of Godzilla 1984, they make a Godzilla fall down a volcano.

'No Mercy No Future' by Helma Sanders-Brahms (1981) - the most disturbing film I have ever seen: the killing of a chicken.

The Dog

Between takes on Bigfoot and the Hendersons, John Lithgow used to ride around and around on the back of the Bigfoots until they collapsed from exhaustion.

The Dog

I am not a vegetarian but I don't eat Bigfoots.

thenoise

Hitler was vegetarian only as an attempt to curb his excessive flatulence, which in some circles he was more famous for than his race hate and wacky moustache. This is a little disappointing as I'm a huge fan of farting and if anything it's one of the reasons that first attracted me to become a lentil muncher in the first place.

GoblinAhFuckScary

thenoise

Dont know about the cats/rats but the little boy was a real corpse. Pleasant dreams!