Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:20:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gutfeld - Our right-wing comedy saviour!

Started by up_the_hampipe, April 06, 2021, 05:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Fox News just debuted a new nightly comedy show from comedian person(?) Greg Gutfeld. Here's a taster of the raw unleashed barbs we can expect from the side that isn't such pussy cuck bitches about jokes https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1379268897183051776?s=20

It's time to take comedy back from the left. And what a great start!

I'm waiting for Andrew Doyle to become the British fascist Letterman.

sevendaughters

Gutfeld used to host Red Eye and has been very much part of the comedic editorial wing of Fox News for well over a decade. In that time he gave airtime to Gregg Turkington and obscure internet music review Mark Prindle (weekly, for about a year!) and was generally seen as a bit more of a harder-to-pin-down figure; yes, of the right, but able to promote some reasonably good cultural things. I think he did a thing about Power Trip after Riley Gale died, for instance.

Obviously this show looks like total arse, but it is American.

dissolute ocelot

That is not good comedy. Most of the jokes could equally apply to the right as the left: senile president (member Trump?), TV reporter with stupid voice, getting excited about kids in cages. But then most "satire" is shit.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Well as a feminazi communist cuck this makes me very nervous.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I thought this was going to be a Seinfeld parody, with some slick stand-up in a downstairs comedy club going, "So what's the deal with the left?"

Which in a way it is.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 06, 2021, 06:20:50 PM
I thought this was going to be a Seinfeld parody, with some slick stand-up in a downstairs comedy club going, "So what's the deal with the left?"
Isn't that the real Jerry Seinfeld nowadays?

All Surrogate

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 06, 2021, 06:02:23 PM
In that time he gave airtime to Gregg Turkington ...

Including a joke from Neil Hamburger that is possibly the most appalling yet hilarious one I've ever heard.

sutin

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 06, 2021, 06:02:23 PM
Gutfeld used to host Red Eye and has been very much part of the comedic editorial wing of Fox News for well over a decade. In that time he gave airtime to Gregg Turkington and obscure internet music review Mark Prindle (weekly, for about a year!) and was generally seen as a bit more of a harder-to-pin-down figure; yes, of the right, but able to promote some reasonably good cultural things. I think he did a thing about Power Trip after Riley Gale died, for instance.

Obviously this show looks like total arse, but it is American.

CaB favourite Nick Mullen was also on Red Eye post-Gutfeld.

I was *obsessed* with Mark Prindle's website in my youth, as were quite a few of my friends. Really witty guy, I wonder how well his stuff has aged. I remember reading Prindle as long ago as the '90s. I also remember him serialising his marriage breakdown via his album reviews and being totally invested in him.

sevendaughters

Quote from: sutin on April 06, 2021, 07:57:17 PM
CaB favourite Nick Mullen was also on Red Eye post-Gutfeld.

I was *obsessed* with Mark Prindle's website in my youth, as were quite a few of my friends. Really witty guy, I wonder how well his stuff has aged. I remember reading Prindle as long ago as the '90s. I also remember him serialising his marriage breakdown via his album reviews and being totally invested in him.

I still read it from time to time. Often he's an incredibly lucid critic of late century rock music with a killer sense of humour and idiosyncratic style of his own. At his worst he is absolutely indulgent and the ironic wacky racism doesn't do him any favours, however it was intended.

chveik

Quote from: sutin on April 06, 2021, 07:57:17 PM

i've read his Caroliner reviews a few months back when i was looking for some information on the band. it's a bit edgelordy if i recall correctly but all in all those reviews were pretty good

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 06, 2021, 06:20:50 PM

Which in a way it is.

I thought it would be a Garfield parody. Gutfield, the cat who hates Mondays almost as much as he hates black people.

wrec

Quote from: chveik on April 06, 2021, 08:04:40 PM
i've read his Caroliner reviews a few months back when i was looking for some information on the band. it's a bit edgelordy if i recall correctly but all in all those reviews were pretty good

I follow him on FB, it's all amiable nerdy music discussion. Can't remember the specifics but I think he's expressed embarrassment about some of the more edgelordy stuff and I think maybe deleted some of it - certainly doesn't have that vibe now

Edit: actually it was his Caroliner reviews that drew me in

sutin

Quote from: wrec on April 06, 2021, 08:37:07 PM
Can't remember the specifics but I think he's expressed embarrassment about some of the more edgelordy stuff and I think maybe deleted some of it - certainly doesn't have that vibe now

Aw, that's nice to hear.

Mark Prindle and then Nick Mullen, Red Eye has a type.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I like how that scathing satiri al bit about the feller on Mars played to virtually no laughter at all.

McChesney Duntz

Particularly amusing since the guy he's trying (badly) to satirize is much funnier than Gutfeld could ever be without even trying...

https://youtu.be/wz73dkoEE2U

up_the_hampipe

Day 2 monologue and he seems to have largely given up on jokes in favour of ranting already. Get em, Greg! https://twitter.com/Gutfeldfox/status/1379631515429142530?s=20

ajsmith2

Something kind of reassuring about seeing toothless, self satisfied John Oliver style establishment 'satire' that will change no minds emanating from the right for once.

Video Game Fan 2000

I read somewhere Prindle went alt-right, which would be very depressing so nice to hear its not true. I liked went he had the Ali record about dental hygene and sang along to it to his dog Henry

Quote from: ajsmith2 on April 08, 2021, 04:29:20 AM
Something kind of reassuring about seeing toothless, self satisfied John Oliver style establishment 'satire' that will change no minds emanating from the right for once.

[American liberal responding to Gutfeld! clip] The Good comedy maker has logged on haha dont tell his large adult son he's having a normal one its almost as if a squirrel called mr acorns ran an insurance company

Video Game Fan 2000

Twitter accounts sharing Matt Bors and Ben Garrison at the same time and momentarily not being able to tell where the laugh with/laugh at line falls is like something Phil Ochs would write a song about. Ben Garrison is ridiculous, anyway I drew Elon Musk knee deep in blood kissing his money. Seeing meme-tastic bluecheck covfeve and hamberders types posting Gutfeld clips gives me the same feeling.

Thank God for Barney Farmer.

ajsmith2

Prindle definitely didn't go alt right: he essentially permanently and entirely dumped his proto-edgelord online persona (which he'd already been phasing out)  when he stopped his album review site (along with perhaps more pertinently drinking alcohol) in late 2011 (several epochs ago in online culture time) and has pretty much been a much happier laid back family man and proud father since. It's quite the turnaround almost textbook AA/Christian prescriptive text in terms of how he managed to get things completely back on track after they got so dark.

I used to think his reviews contained some of the funniest writing I'd ever seen back in the day mainly because of his inspiringly absurd digressions. (A particular favourite example of which that I always quote is 'many moons ago (you see each night our moon is destroyed and replaced with an exact replica'*) more so than the outrageously offensive stuff which was definitely deployed in the comfort of that end of history 90s/00s safe space  that the early internet existed in.

*may not travel out of context, but I found/find this hilarious.

Video Game Fan 2000

I like when he described the guitars on Damaged as "screaming fits of relentlessly ugly rage, like an air raid siren gone haywire or an old man gone to Florida for a quiet weekend"

sutin

This opening paragraph for his Smiths reviews used to kill me, now it seemingly displays incredible foresight...

Quote from: Mark PrindleThe Smiths sprouted out of Manchester, England in the early '80s with an agenda of red-hot hate, fury-stoked fascism and undying contempt for the remnants of the "Peace and Love Generation." A violent reactionary right-wing Oi! band with obvious connections to the National Front, this four-piece of bile (screamer Steven Morrissey, thrasher John Marr, bass pummeller Andy Rourke and blastbeat supremo Mike "Himmler's Hammer" Joyce) knew that its entire "final solution" agenda would be doomed from the start if they couldn't find a more erudite way of couching such horrific (to the comfortable bourgeois masses) slogans as "I wear black on the outside because I hate all blacks on the inside" and "I am human and I need to be loved/That's what all the Jews say." The answer: target America's teenage girl and closeted homosexual population. The rest is "Naz-istory"!

bigfatheart

sevendaughters

I always liked the Prindle reviews that ended up being a review of about 50 trashy films he'd watched with a desultory paragraph about whichever Fall live album he was pretending to give a shit about.

zomgmouse

joaquin closet

Re: that first clip - the Brian Williams stuff absolutely shocking, but to me those opening jokes are about as funny (i.e. not very) as those from every other non-right wing American talk show. Am I wrang?

Petey Pate

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: joaquin closet on April 12, 2021, 06:12:46 PM
Re: that first clip - the Brian Williams stuff absolutely shocking, but to me those opening jokes are about as funny (i.e. not very) as those from every other non-right wing American talk show. Am I wrang?

Reminds of when Fox tried a show in a vaguely The Day Today/Colbert Report/Jon Stewart Show style called the 1/2 Hour News Hour (similar joke title as John Oliver's godforsaken meme abyss) and it briefly became a liberal meme because it was apparently so bad and a huge embarassment. etc.

It was bad, true - but nearly identical in tone and content to a lot of the political humour on SNL at the same time and since. Just a shade right of the right of center not a shade left of the right of center. Extremely close to the Trump-era Hamberders phase of American liberal humour. Its entire premise is reducible to perceived fragility of the opposing party's voters. The same construction of gags towards fantasizing about winning arguments and scoring point rather than pointing ridiculous absurdities or just basic funny constructions in the writing. Stuff thats as far away from Conan O'brien as Little and Large were from Morcambe and Wise, stuff that has the form of something everyone agrees was popular because it was good, but the content is just packing peanuts.

What American liberal commentators miss with these shows is that its not laughs that drive them - its the smugness. Gutfeld has been very successful being very unfunny for a long time now. He's just smug, he knows he doesn't have to hit the mark. He can just scoff his way through bad material, toss out some edgelord barbs and 'highbrow' references to Mencius Moldbug, then go home and listen to his Amphetamine Reptile albums and laugh at Neil Hamburger clips on his phone. The fact that these shows tend to get cancelled swiftly doesn't really tell you anything about the popularity of the people involved or how successful they are as part of right wing branding and evangelising. The 1/2 Hour News Hour being apparently such a mortifying disaster never hurt anyone involved, and they got a fews clip of Rush Limbaugh being prez that got played over and over, and liberals still remember with rancor to this day. Gutfeld has got a bunch of people he hates fuming, that's all that matters. He'll gloat his way through until he has another try.