Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:48:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Saying goodbye to a pet

Started by BritishHobo, April 06, 2021, 08:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalogue Trousers

Huzzah, the Cat lives! Best to him and to you, BritishHobo.

mobias

Thats really positive news BritishHobo. Hope he's ok and has a good recovery now.

Icehaven

It's not at all right to say cats don't get attached to people or only care if you feed them. Two of my Mum's three cats are very affectionate and cuddly with her, sitting on her lap and enjoying a big fuss, but no one else is allowed within 10ft of them or they scarper. Anyone except my Mum, including frequent visitors like me, could go in with a binbag full of Dreamies and they'd still leave the room.
Luckily the other one is big ol' softie and lets anyone fuss him left and right, so I still get my fluffy fix.

Sebastian Cobb

One of my mates housemate had a cat and you'd think that thing only took interest in its owner (mates housemate) but apparently it operated a rank system and would accept fuss off my friends partner if the owner was out and my mate if both were out.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Thomas on April 07, 2021, 02:28:59 PM
I must contest this popular line of thinking. My cat often mewls when I or my partner leave the house, even if one of us is still present for food duties. He wanders from room to room in my wake, friendly slow-blink engaged, and he sits with us to gaze at the TV. They're social animals - you just have to build the bond.

My cat's exactly the same, basically whichever room we're in, he's in. When we go to bed he comes up and kips in his box on top of the wardrobe. When I'm working he'll come and have a kip on the floor beside me etc etc etc. He's only 3, but I got a little weepy reading BH's opening post, so I am glad there's a happy ending.

Paul Calf

Congrats on the still-breathing cat, BritHobes. I often look at our little dog and know he's going to break our hearts one day.

Still, I can now bust this out:

[tag]Auf Wiedersehen, Pet[/tag]

Paul Calf

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 06, 2021, 10:42:56 PM
I just say Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

Shit. Just shows you what you get for attempting tact and sensitivity.

markburgle

I get really blasé about my cat most the time, seem to lack the imagination to comprehend how I'd feel if anything happened to him. I seem in denial about the full depth of what he means to me until something happens that removes all doubt.

He went missing for a few days once, I felt fucking shit. Lying awake at night thinking where is he, what if he's stuck somewhere, what if he can only hold out another 45 minutes before carking it and I'm just lying here doing nothing. Or having full-on, more-vivid-than-reality lucid dreams like I'd never had before about him coming back.

But he did so it was fine.

Attila

So happy to hear kitty has rallied.

The next-door neighbours' cat, Gus, beats up every other cat in the area except ours, as he considers our garden part of his territory. Just about every night he sits outside the downstairs window (which he can access by sitting on my car), singing the songs of his people, because that is how he calls me to come out and play with him. We usually have a wild romp around the garden in the dark, and then he disappears on his patrol.

This has been going on for about 8 years now.

Chedney Honks

When my cat goes, everyone who's talked shit about cats here will get their fucking insides spraying whatever cunthole they waste away in.

🤣🤣🤣

Alberon

Didn't you say you had a sword a few posts back?

Good thing I love cats.

petercussing

Cats is best and they should live forever, but also still be able to breed AND continually grow exponentially year on year. There is no downside to this idea and you love it.

BritishHobo

Thanks again to everyone for the nice thoughts and your own stories, and much love to everyone who's been dealing with similar situations recently - or who hold the terrible panic in the back of their minds about the future. Like a few of you have said, I've never really thought of myself as being that sentimental about pets - perhaps because before him, I've not had any since I was about five. It's funny how you can think you know something about yourself, and then have that knowledge totally shattered in an instant.

Fella's just twatting about in his floppy cone at the moment, snoozing, grabbing stretches of placid rest inbetween the moments where we have to pump him with five different types of medicine. He's usually quite an independent cat, but I think the experience has made him a bit more vulnerable. Much keener for affection. I've not told him I cried in the car park. If he finds out then I'll just say I saw a really sad Mini Cooper.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 06, 2021, 11:29:08 PM
And now at the moment I have one who's been missing for a week and a half. Got a bit upset making the 'missing cat' poster a few days ago (has generated a couple of leads, but no cat so far). There aren't natural boundaries around here to stop him from coming back, and he hides from strangers. So if he's alright, he should just come back...

What I'm holding onto is that:

1) The only obvious thing that's fatal to a cat around here are the roads and I haven't found him dead on any of them.

2) Recently one of my Dad's cats sodded off for a fortnight and then came back. And she's been with them for 4 years.

Cat came back tonight after just over 3 weeks. Lost a lot of weight, I'd imagine he got locked into someone's shed or something.

Space ghost

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 19, 2021, 08:40:25 PM
Cat came back tonight after just over 3 weeks. Lost a lot of weight, I'd imagine he got locked into someone's shed or something.

This is wonderful news but now you must take down the missing cat posters so people who see them can stop feeling sad. Or better yet just go round and write a little update on each missing poster.

'Cat came back, no worries'

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Space ghost on April 19, 2021, 09:15:13 PM
This is wonderful news but now you must take down the missing cat posters so people who see them can stop feeling sad. Or better yet just go round and write a little update on each missing poster.

'Cat came back, no worries'

Yeah, I'll pull them tomorrow.

Chedney Honks

Great news, Butters. What a feeling it is. I shit myself if my cat is out overnight so that's brilliant.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 19, 2021, 08:40:25 PM

Yes! Great news, must be a massive relief.

Glebe

BritishHobo

That's amazing to hear Butternut, you must be so glad!

Jockice

Phew! But cats love doing that.

Mister Six

Glad the cat's doing well. When my dog goes I'm going to be a total fucking wreck.

steve98

"Saying goodbye to a pet". The thread after this one, on the board, is "Richard Gere's arse-gerbil."

bgmnts

Currently watching my old mouse suffering from something the local vet doesn't quite know, he's only 9 months but he has been scratching incessantly for weeks and his face is fucked up now. I cant stop him and he just looks bedraggled and its awful to see.

I know people will say lol its just a mouse gtfo but he's my boy and I dont know I love the little cunt.

Glebe

Aw. Hope mouse gets well soon bgmnts.