Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Enjoying a glass of whiskey

Started by kalowski, April 06, 2021, 10:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttgammon

Bought myself a Bunnahabhain Toteach a Dha earlier. It's lovely, smoky but with a bit of sweetness too.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Got a thing of whiskey in my bag right now, i don't know if it's a good whisky but it's probably not cause I got it from the McColls. Full of alcohol though so that's good. I'm not drinking whisky right now, I'm drinking rum and orange, it's quite nice. Might do a rum thread.

canadagoose

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on April 13, 2021, 10:35:48 PM
Got a thing of whiskey in my bag right now, i don't know if it's a good whisky but it's probably not cause I got it from the McColls. Full of alcohol though so that's good. I'm not drinking whisky right now, I'm drinking rum and orange, it's quite nice. Might do a rum thread.
What is it? You never know, it might be decent. It'll be fine for mixing at any rate.

wooders1978

If anyone is interested in joining a whisky club (deal is, £50 every 2 months, you get a bottle of something usually amazing, I've been a member for 2 years and there has only been one dodgy bottle, but other people raved about it) do me please (DM me even! Spell check trying to get me laid there)

Bottles range from 18 year old scotch's, rare distilleries and even exclusive bottling you can't get anywhere else

mothman

kalowski

Out last night and had a couple if lovely whiskies that I'll be having more of. A Dalwhinnie 15 and a Bowmore 18. Both individual and tasty.

buttgammon

Bought a bottle of Caol Ila 12 year in duty free on a ferry. I hear it's a bit sweeter and milder than some Islays.

Ardbeg Uigeadail is my absolute favourite, but Laphroaig is great too.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Really odd, I don't think I have had a whisky since that post I made back on page 1. Wife and I tend to drink alcohol-free gin a bit in the summer. Back on the whisky during the next lockdown (in Austria from around mid-October 2021 at this rate...).

kalowski

I'm definitely interested in the summerton club, which is what I think wooders1978 was talking about.

H-O-W-L

wooders1978

Quote from: kalowski on August 29, 2021, 09:40:25 PM
I'm definitely interested in the summerton club, which is what I think wooders1978 was talking about.

It is indeed - I highly recommend it, they're not currently running a finders fee so fill your boots !

kalowski

Ferris

The only whiskies I drink with any regularity (ie a bottle every 2 or 3 years) are Auchentoshan 12, Jura 12, and Oban 14 (and even that's only because we had our honeymoon there).

Beer is just nicer, IDST.

wooders1978

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 30, 2021, 11:33:52 PM
The only whiskies I drink with any regularity (ie a bottle every 2 or 3 years) are Auchentoshan 12, Jura 12, and Oban 14 (and even that's only because we had our honeymoon there).

Beer is just nicer, IDST.

The aforementioned club did a Jura 18 as a club bottle, it was a blinder

notjosh

I'm with whisky-me, which was on Dragon's Den a while back. You get a little pouch with a double measure of whisky through the letterbox every month. If you have a look at their shop you get an idea of the type of stuff you get. I've since bought a couple of bottles of the ones I liked most, including the aforementioned Bunnahabhain Toiteach A Dhà.

My referral link if anyone fancies it.

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on August 30, 2021, 10:05:22 PM
Cool. I've signed up.
My first bottle arrived at the weekend. I am going to enjoy this whisk(e)y club. Having just hit 50 I got some for my birthday too so I currently have 5 varieties on the go.
Old Pulteney 12 year old whiskey
Bunnahabhain Single Malt
Makers Mark Bourbon
Starward Fortis Single Malt Australian
Bushmills 10 year single malt

It will take me a year to drink this and I'll have another bottle coming in December!

Cloud

Usually have one as a nightcap.

Not a huge connoisseur but I can definitely tell the difference between a good malt and cheap shit that you might as well mix with lemonade.

Also yeah, it makes a great present for anyone who's into it, another one to cross off the list if you're as shit at gift buying as I am.

Paul Calf

Quote from: buttgammon on August 29, 2021, 11:44:53 AM

Ardbeg Uigeadail is my absolute favourite, but Laphroaig is great too.

I love that stuff. Last week, I finished the bottle that I bought after Bosto recommended it. It's the first whisky in ages that I've wanted to replace with the same expression.

Chedney Honks

Hey, that's great to hear, glad you enjoyed it.

mothman

I'm now onto Bulleit bourbon, and it's possibly my favourite after Jim Beam. Up there with Wild Turkey, anyway. I liked Woodford Reserve much less than I expected, and wasn't impressed with Maker's Mark or Buffalo Trace.

Blinder Data

I love whisky but I usually end up having a few drams after a night of beer-drinking and wake up feeling awful.

This weekend I had half pints and whisky each round, which is a much better way of doing it. If in doubt, drink whisky now, as they say.

I had Lagavulin (peaty enough for me) and... something else. Which reminds me of that other adage: start your night on the expensive stuff but switch to the cheap bottles before too long - your tongue won't taste the difference but your pocket will.

robhug

Knob Creek is my favourite bourbon.

I've been to 2 whisky-ey weekends and both times the whisky-ey guys running the show have said you can only truly get the proper taste out of it with a drop of spring water in it the 'open it up', drinking it neat is to harsh for the flavours to properly 'activate', so I impress my friends with this knowledge. If you hold it to the light as you put the drop in you can see what appears to be some sort of liquid fight going on changes it.

The only other thing I can remember is a pure hatred of grain whisky-ey, example the one promoted by qatar keenest david beckham Haig Club, which all taste the same.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: mothman on October 27, 2021, 10:19:48 AM
I'm now onto Bulleit bourbon, and it's possibly my favourite after Jim Beam. Up there with Wild Turkey, anyway. I liked Woodford Reserve much less than I expected, and wasn't impressed with Maker's Mark or Buffalo Trace.

Quite a wide range of product there, to be honest.

Maker's is a wheated bourbon and therefore quite different to the rest. It's simple, sweet and rich. I find it has more depth to it if you let it sit for half an hour. It's known as a beginner bourbon but it's actually more interesting when you come back to it later.

Woodford is also quite distinctive, a very high rye content, lacking the sweetness of almost all other bourbon and concentrating on the dry flavours. I'm not surprised you didn't like it, I think the bottle and the marketing do a lot of the heavy lifting. I like one occasionally for a diversion but it doesn't hit the spot like a more classic bourbon profile.

Wild Turkey is a brilliant bang for your buck bottle in principle, but the UK stuff is a bit thin in my opinion. In the States, it's bottled at 50% proof and it carries the flavours better. You can find Wild Turkey 101 here (as it's known) but it's less common and therefore tends to be a bit overpriced for what it is. A tricky one really because I think it's great, pretty complex even if it's a bit rough, lots of character. If you like it, don't try the 101 is my advice because it's the same but better, just not twice the price better.

Buffalo Trace I think has lost a little over the years, unfortunately, albeit it's still a very good classic bourbon profile for the price. Again, the US stuff is bottled a little higher at 45% and it just tastes better for that than the 40% stuff we get. I feel like we get an approximation these days rather than the product as intended. Bourbon has exploded over the last decade and BT has gone from an amazing, great value range of spectacular whiskeys to excess demand and a drop in quality and consistency. I understand that the Antique Collection range is still fantastic but there's literally no chance of buying that these days.

I think Bulleit is very good bang for buck and the rye is even better. It's really quite different from the bourbon but a great classic rye if you fancy it, more herbaceous, almost dill pickle quality to it, tangy spice but also sweet and soft with honey. Not had Jim Beam recently.

TrenterPercenter

Currently got half a bottle of Uigeadael, half a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 your old, an unopened bottle of Nikka from the Barrel and an unopened independent bottling of a Linkwood 12 your old.

It will probably take me 2-3 years to drink all of that how get through their bottles so quickly so they can buy a new one (which is the fun part).

TL:DR I like whisky but I couldn't drink a whole one bottle

Cloud

mothman

Thanks Cheds, noted.

I've also put Uigeadael on my Amazon wish list in the hope my mum sees it when she goes looking for ideas for Christmas presents.

buttgammon

Currently very slowly working my way through Caol Ila 12 year but I'm flying on Friday and am going to get another bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail in duty free. Nothing comes close.

Cuntbeaks

Makers Mark 46 is a bit of alright. Quite buttery and very smooth.

wooders1978

Elijah Craig barrel proof is £35 on Amazon right now - go & get it you bourbon drinkers

TrenterPercenter

Has anyone tried the Redbreast stuff everyone says is really great often think about getting a bottle of that.