Author Topic: Between The Lines  (Read 2008 times)

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
  • MAKE ROOM FOR THE MUSHROOMS
Re: Between The Lines
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 10:32:02 AM »
I do feel with some of these episodes that they end the actual corruption story too soon, like with the officers fencing goods. There's loads of stuff about Clark's marriage and his affair which could be cut out so they don't end early.

The Customs episode was a bit confusing and meandered a bit.

I agree the garden party in the middle of the Liverpool scene is totally superfluous. I think Pearson is good in this but was given far too much irrelevant non-police stuff which made it a bit soapy.

gilbertharding

• Lipsmackin' thirstquenchin' acetastin' motivatin'
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2021, 12:45:29 PM »
There was a hilarious scene in the one with Keith Allen in it, where Clarke's girlfriend and matey out of Soldier Soldier met for a drink in the beer garden of a pub sat at one of those tables where the SKOL umbrella with the fringe pokes through a hole in the middle and they (and the two extras who walk past the establishing pan shot) are studiously ignoring the fact that it's pissing hard with rain.

Look, loves, the script says the scene is outdoors, and we simply don't have time to wait for it to stop raining.

We all know that those umbrellas don't work - unless you drop the parasol right down to head level, and the only reason anyone would do that is if they couldn't go and sit in the pub itself because they were (for instance) smoking a doobie.

Norton Canes

• Pick up the pace with your cracked-out face
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2021, 01:46:53 PM »
Ha, there's definitely a thread in 'Outdoor scenes in UK dramas where the actors are studiously ignoring the fact that the weather is shit'.

gilbertharding

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2021, 03:22:46 PM »
There was a fair amount of superfluous rain in the last two episodes too - although it was at least acknowledged by the characters.

Now, I only dabble in suicide ideation, but I would definitely put 'jumping off the stern of a very crowded pleasure boat in broad daylight' very far down the list of methods. I mean, I might drown, if I couldn't swim, or the water was extremely cold, and no-one (not, for instance, the barmaid who'd served me endless gin and tonics even though I was clearly, incongruously, very unhappy) saw me go in... but I'd have said it was next to impossible to be chopped by the propeller of the boat I'd just vacated.

But, such is television.

Shame it looks as if they're not going to re-run any more of these.

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2021, 03:25:30 PM »
Dirty Tache Stephen Moore was the highlight in the last double header, I think.

Norton Canes

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2021, 03:29:09 PM »
Shame it looks as if they're not going to re-run any more of these

Yeah just season one, it turns out. Not like anyone was actually invested in this outside of Line of Duty huh.

gilbertharding

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2021, 03:39:32 PM »
Also love everyone using public payphones to make extremely involved private phone calls. Not ones in boxes, either - ones in the corners of noisy bars.

I'm old enough to remember those days, and I can tell you - it just wasn't done.

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2021, 03:47:20 PM »
Yeah just season one, it turns out. Not like anyone was actually invested in this outside of Line of Duty huh.
Disappointing, there are some very good episodes in Series 2.

Series 3 seems to be a load of plops from the 2 episodes I watched.

gilbertharding

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2021, 03:52:14 PM »
I didn't really watch it properly at the time, but was there a scene where Tony Clark had full sex with a lady while actually driving his Saab on the motorway? Which series was that?

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2021, 03:55:30 PM »
I dont remember that. Must have been in Series 3. Clark does seem to be thinking with his knob half the time.

Watching Ep 13 of Series 1. Good to see Clark wearing a jacket with a big A on it in tribute to Anus Cop.

gilbertharding

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2021, 04:07:09 PM »
I never go in HS Art... so I missed this at the time.

Huge.

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,63786.150.html

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2021, 12:11:48 PM »
I didn't really watch it properly at the time, but was there a scene where Tony Clark had full sex with a lady while actually driving his Saab on the motorway? Which series was that?

I only remember that from Points of View.

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2021, 04:27:19 PM »
The only bit I remember from this first time around was Harry getting demoted. I remember it built up a bit and thought it was the beginning of a series which would mean it happens in the one I've got left or I misremembered - reading wiki they all work for mi5 in s3.

Real shame they're not showing more just because Line of Duty has finished .

Norton Canes

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2021, 05:13:15 PM »
Bit slow on these but I watched episode 7 last night, the one where an investigation into the beating of a strike protestor rather inconveniently interferes with Tony's endless shagging.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:29:38 PM by Norton Canes »

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
« Reply #44 on: Yesterday at 07:55:50 PM »
Do you think we could start a campaign to get them to show series 2 (which has some very good episodes, but NOT three? Not sure if the BBC would listen though.

itsfredtitmus

• Dariush Mehrjui fan
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 09:17:49 PM »
Have all seasons on DVDs I got for a tenner from a charity shop. I'll cashout when their price reaches in the 100s

Nowhere as good as Cracker but it deals with social stuff a lot better if I remember (anyone seen the black man rapist episode of Cracker where McGovern tries to apply the 'you think I am: I am" rule like he did with the scouse episode?)

itsfredtitmus

• Dariush Mehrjui fan
« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 09:21:31 PM »
Thought the scene in the 1st episode where they get raided and it's the wrong flat truly shocking

Tags: