Author Topic: Snackmasters series 3  (Read 477 times)

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
Snackmasters series 3
« on: April 07, 2021, 08:14:47 PM »
I’ve just noticed they’ve put four more episodes of this masterpiece on All4. KFC, Wagon Wheels, Shreddies, Snickers.

It went down quite well in the guilty pleasures thread but it really deserves its own thread. If you haven’t seen it, it’s Fred Siriex off First Dates challenging fine dining chefs to recreate junk food and snacks. Two chefs face off with their efforts judged by some bigwigs from whichever company they’re imitating. Meanwhile Jayde Adams goes to the factory to see how it’s really done.

It’s great fun to watch the chefs getting competitive, spending thousands on mad equipment and so on. Here’s a nice post Blue Jam made in the guilty pleasure thread:

It's not really a cooking show, it's more about the chefs trying all sorts of food science tricks and expensive gadgets while the show's resident "Snack Expert" (Jayde Adams, who is also a lot of fun and very enthusiastic and watchable) goes round the factory being shown the real tricks of the trade and the proper big industrial-scale machines to show us exactly how wrong the chefs have got it.

The main thing that makes this watchable is how the chefs get very, very competitive and get deadly serious about trying to recreate the taste, texture and appearance of some junk food, doing actual research and even spending crazy money just so they can take a big trophy with "SNACKMASTERS CHAMPION: QUAVERS CHALLENGE" engraved on it back to their posh restaurant.

Also when Fred tells the chefs who they'll be competing against they'll say something like "Oh wow, I love his food, he's a big mate of mine, this'll be interesting" while you can tell they're really thinking "What, that prick who poached my top sous chef in 2018, just as we were going for our second Michelin star? Right, I'll show him"

Best of all, I have just realised the current series is actually the second. Yep, there's an entire three episodes of series 1 left to watch. That's tonight's viewing sorted, looking forward to watching two Michelin-starred chefs going insane trying to recreate Pickled Onion Monster Munch.

mothman

• I don't know why
Re: Snackmasters series 3
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 08:29:19 PM »
I was a bit uninspired by this week’s starting ep (KFC Zinger burger and Supercharger Mayo, with bonus of a piece of original recipe chicken. Bit of a swizz, the winner being picked on the basis of his original recipe chicken - and, granted his mayo was closer - given that it was just meant to be a bonus and his Zinger wasn’t as good. And, both chefs and their entourages were a bit too into the bantz, suspect they’re utter cunts to their underlings when there aren’t cameras around...

Blue Jam

• Last of the great avuncular magicians
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 08:51:36 PM »
YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!

This masterpiece certainly does deserve its own thread. It has even surpassed Ramsay's Hotel Hell as my all-time favourite bit of Guilty Pleasure Gold.

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 10:07:42 PM »
I fucking love Shreddies. More than forty years, still my favourite cereal. I actively have to avoid having them all the time so I don’t go off them. And after tonight’s episode, I really want some! According to my FitBit app a 40g bowl is calorifically similar to 40g of my go-to diet cereal, Fruit & Fibre.

Anyway, good one tonight. Shock ending though. I did think it was odd how the French guy suddenly turned it round. And more in hindsight now it’s obvious that we never saw his gelatine-cushioned mold actually work. I did wonder momentarily if they’d let them try the crack-then-cook method once they knew it was done that way round!

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 02:46:16 PM »
Not sure I want to destroy the mystery of how Shreddies are made? They're spun from the buttocks of Hovis-eating spiders, aren't they?

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 07:14:44 PM »
Probably. Sure you get to see inside the factory where they’re made but it looked like a setup. I reckon the actual magic happens in a part of the building they didn’t let the cameras into.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 07:22:32 PM »
Shreddies felt a bit less of a fair challenge. It wasn't really flavour related, more how it would be possible to recreate the production process either by hand or with cheap mechanical domestic equipment. It appeared there were a few steps in that process they had almost no chance of replicating.

I think I prefer the episodes where they have to try and recreate a particular flavour, with maybe only an element of trying to work out the process which isn't central to the success of the copy.

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:08:18 AM »
Yeah I enjoyed the KFC one because it was more about the flavours than the method. Also I want to get in that big steel drum full of raw chicken and marinade and just go round and round until I'm all sticky and red and thoroughly deceased

Tags: